Real Life Masters Edition

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
As an older player who recently came back to the game, I found myself naturally attracted to Legacy for reasons like being able to play with the cards I was fond of back in the day.

The prohibitive entrance fee to Legacy right now is a well known and already stressed out enough issue throughout the internet and I know that's not going to chance soon or ever. But after coming back to MTGO and seeing the Masters Edition sets, I wonder why not print real life (therefore, excluding Reserved List cards) Masters Edition-like sets?

I know that won't change the fact that some cards' prices will still be prohibitive (mainly dual lands), but would help a lot to buy your Aether Vials, Spell Snares, Mother of Runes, Goblin Lackeys, etc. for the price of an uncommon card and not of a top Standard rare.

There are some issues like when should a set like this be released with a core set and three others in the same year. Yet there are plenty of other products being released such as Commander, Planechase and Planeswalker decks so I don't find hard to believe that an opportunity to release a ME could be found as well.

One could argue that such a set would appeal to a very specific audience, therefore not worth releasing, and plenty of other things. I look forward to hearing your opinions.
Wizards has said that they hope to reprint many Modern staples, but the company is less focussed on Legacy players for the moment.

If you're interested in playing Legacy on a budget, there are viable cheap decks. I play a Burn deck that cost $30 to put together (the only rare is Goblin Guide) and a Dredge deck that cost $150 (Bridge from Below is the only card above $10). What style of deck do you like to play? 
My reason for suggesting a set of older cards is not to exclusively reduce the price of a Legacy deck nor am I against spending the money on a dual land or some other Legacy staples that are on the Reserved List.

I feel my original post focused to much on the price aspect and that I failed to explain the other ones I feel strongly about.

My point is that there are lot of very cool cards like the ones I mentioned that have no reason to not be reprinted, yet they are too format defining and/or too strong for Standard to be reprinted on a normal set, and to have a chance to crack cards like these open again would be why I'd like to see a ME-like set.

There's a big difference between being able to buy some packs to play sealed with your friends and put that Mother of Runes that you opened in your deck and feeling so happy that you got to open that Wasteland as opposed to getting a package from SCG to find those two cards inside.

My reason for suggesting a set of older cards is not to exclusively reduce the price of a Legacy deck nor am I against spending the money on a dual land or some other Legacy staples that are on the Reserved List.

I feel my original post focused to much on the price aspect and that I failed to explain the other ones I feel strongly about.

My point is that there are lot of very cool cards like the ones I mentioned that have no reason to not be reprinted, yet they are too format defining and/or too strong for Standard to be reprinted on a normal set, and to have a chance to crack cards like these open again would be why I'd like to see a ME-like set.

There's a big difference between being able to buy some packs to play sealed with your friends and put that Mother of Runes that you opened in your deck and feeling so happy that you got to open that Wasteland as opposed to getting a package from SCG to find those two cards inside.

If you want to crack some cool old cards, nothing is stopping you from buying old packs of Tempest and Urza's Legacy. They're harder to find, but not completely gone. I'd rather have Wizards produce new content rather than reprint old stuff.
I completely respect the fact that you'd rather have new content instead of reprints and believe it is the opinion of several other Magic players.

But you miss the point entirely on your first statement because it does nothing to help the most important issue which is making Legacy a more viable format not only financially but making it more well known to the masses as well.

As soon as a set geared towards Legacy comes out, more people will feel encouraged to play it because there's brand new product that supports the format when previously you only had the option of buying your cards from dealers.
Most of the reason for not reprinting the older cards has to do with the issue of being able to sell them at a reasonable price. 90% of older cards (Heck, 90% of current cards) are pretty much worthless. A package that contained only the other 10% would be excessively expensive unless Wizards specifically flooded the market with them.

Regrettably, most of the really important cards for Legacy that would be in such a throwback set in the first place are also on the restricted list.

I would say that I couldn't see them reprinting any card that's anywhere approaching a vintage or legacy staple, but then they put Sol Ring in the Commander decks, so I'm not sure anymore. I think they're really trying to push Modern over Legacy because most of the Modern packs are still relatively easy to find/purchase. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I agree that it would be very hard to find a way to sell something that includes only ''the useful 10%'' which is why I think something similar to ME is a good solution. An actual set, with both worthless and useful cards, like any other.
I agree that it would be very hard to find a way to sell something that includes only ''the useful 10%'' which is why I think something similar to ME is a good solution. An actual set, with both worthless and useful cards, like any other.

I wouldn't mind seeing them make Legacy more accessible by just selling the useful 10%. Print a huge run of Legacy event decks with Force of Will in one and Tarmogoyf in another.