My monster database project

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm planning on asssembling a statistical database of all of the monsters in D&D. The point of this is to expand on kerbarian's work on En World: www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-di...

His only resource was the original Monster's Manual, which of course nowadays is ~10% of the monsters we have in 4E. My plan is to use Access to create the database, and the only way I know how to do that is to go through them one by one. All 4893 of them (except the shuffling zombie). I'm planning on including an analysis of most of the stats he did, but not all of them; I don't see the sense in including their senses or movement, but otherwise it should be comparably comprehensive. Thoughts? Other than I'm crazy I mean...

J
+1

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

If there is a way to see the database with just the monsters from MM3 and beyond, it'll be useful. Otherwise it's just neat.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

If there is a way to see the database with just the monsters from MM3 and beyond, it'll be useful. Otherwise it's just neat.

Agreed. I actively avoid pre-MM3 creatures when DMing, as do the other people who DM in our group. I'm sure we are not alone in this.
That's interesting, why so?

Wizards made signifcant improvements to the math of monsters starting with MM3. I don't remember the specifics of the math off the top of my head, but in general, enemies have fewer HP and deal more damage. So you don't have the problem that was there early in the game where you had huge bags of HP that couldn't seriously threaten the party.

They also made signifcant improvements to the mechanics of Solo enemies, giving them extra attacks and the ability to shrug off debilitating status effects like Daze and Stun.

While there may be some exceptions, in the vast majority of cases, pre-MM3 monsters just aren't worth using.
Ah, ok. Well, doing it through the Compendium it's gonna be a big pain to exclude MM1 and MM2, but remember the MM1 only has 489 monsters and the MM2 has less than that. Overall they account for about  16% of the monsters, so I don't think they'll skew the results that much...besides they are included in some adventures and some DM's use them. But mainly cuz it'd be a pain to exclude them, lol.

J
Shouldn't be too much trouble to go through each source individually, and I personally would find it easier to keep track of progress that way. However, you're the one doing all the work, so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Monster Vault probably makes for a good base product to focus on.  Some of the original Monster Manual I monsters were updated there, or in Dungeon too.
+1
Any work like this applies to Companion Characters,
Hirelings, heavy Domination, that level 30 Chair thingy.
etc ...

The custom monster directions in dmg have
monster stats set to 3 13s and 3 whatevers.
And then a +3 goes to one good stat, and
a +1/2 per level goes to all the good stats.

I suppose it's possible for the "bad" stats to
be -1 to the good stats, on the high side, and
all the way down to near zero on the low side.

I wonder how far off these guidelines/rules
that specific monsters get, especially solos?

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Completed lvl 1 and 2: 279 documented, several thousand to go. ;)

Keep up the good work.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Their senses and movement are actually significant details, since they tell us rather important facts about their immunities to different PC abilities.
Level 3 done, total of 511 creatures documented.

Out of curiosity, what program are you using?
As I said I'm using Access as the database, then later on I'm planning to import it into Excel for some of the calculations.

J
Ah. Reading comprehension FTW.
Okay, level 4 is done. Total number of creatures documented: 740.

After several months' hiatus due to significant life changes, I'm pleased to announce the work proceeds apace! Level 5 is completed. Total number of creatues documented:  980.

J
Level 6 is done! Total number of creatures documented: 1223.

Keep up the good work!  Perhaps you could start performing some analysis after you reach level 10 (Heroic tier monsters)?

I think analysis by tier (Heroic/Paragon/Epic) could be helpful; some campaigns such as Neverwinter focus on specific tiers...
Yes, that was actually my plan. Three more levels to go, then I'll have some fun.

Sign In to post comments