Rain of Steel and Hellsworn Blessing legal?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hellsworn Blessing

Effect: The target assumes the form of a hellsworn until the end of the encounter or until you dismiss the effect as a minor action. While in this form, the target gains darkvision, gains a +2 power bonus to attack rolls, and deals 2d8 extra fire damage with melee attacks.

Rain of steel 

You constantly swing your weapon about, slashing and cutting into nearby enemies.

Daily        Martial, Stance, Weapon
Minor Action      Personal

Effect: You assume the rain of steel stance. Until the stance ends, any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 1[W] damage, but only if you’re able to make opportunity attacks.

Does this qualify as a melee attack?
Should the power have the melee attack keywords?
Is the melee attack implied?
Can you legally deal the damage from Hellsworn Blessing to enemies injured by Rain of Steel?
How does the RPGA rule it? 

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

No.
No.
No.
No.
As above.

Cheers. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Sucks. They should change the fluff if it's not legal. 

Does the RPGA have a record for those kinds of rulings, and where is it?

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )

Melee attack is a well defined term - there's literally no ruling required.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Maybe it will be fixed in 5th edition so that the fluff matches the powers.

Does Come and Get It count as melee attacks? 
It has the fluff, weapon keyword, and an attack. 

Come and Get It

You brandish your weapon and call out to your foes, luring them close through their overconfidence, and then deliver a spinning strike against them all.

Encounter        Martial, Weapon
Standard Action      Close burst 3

Target: Each enemy you can see in the burst

Attack: Strength vs. Will

Hit: You pull the target up to 2 squares, but only if it can end the pull adjacent to you. If the target is adjacent to you after the pull, it takes 1[W] damage.

Maybe it will be fixed in 5th edition so that the fluff matches the powers.

Does Come and Get It count as melee attacks? 
It has the weapon keyword and an attack. 

Come and Get It

You brandish your weapon and call out to your foes, luring them close through their overconfidence, and then deliver a spinning strike against them all.

Encounter        Martial, Weapon
Standard Action      Close burst 3

NO.

It is a close burst attack, just like it says.
That means TOB doesn't get the bonus either. 

Thicket of Blades

You sting and hinder nearby foes with a savage flurry of strikes aimed at their vulnerable areas.

Daily        Martial, Reliable, Weapon
Standard Action      Close burst 1

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).

There's no need to go into specific powers. If it has the Melee keyword, it's a Melee attack, if it doesn't it's not. Simple as that.

Edit: Close attacks never have the Melee keyword. Powers can be Melee or Close, not both.
Thanks for all the help. I am off to start my guide on making heroic fighters that don't use melee attacks! 

Thanks for all the help. I am off to start my guide on making heroic fighters that don't use melee attacks! 

It's an intersting concept. I wonder if it is doable.

I can totally envision a whirling vortex of death that swings his weapon around wildly, devastating anything that comes near, sometimes as much a danger to friend as foe.
It's called a polearm fighter.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Zelink, how does your polearm fighter work around the melee attack?

Content has been removed due to violations of section 3, Harassment of the Code of Conduct.
Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.  
Zelink, how does your polearm fighter work around the melee attack?

What does this even mean? I'm confused.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I'm pretty sure every fighter at-will is a melee attack. So you'd have to be very high level and have enoiugh ways to regain encounter/daily powers so you'd never have to use a melee attack. Even then, you wouldn't be allowed to use Combat Challenge or OA if you can't make melee attacks.
I think the only way would be to use half elf (or similar) and poach a wizard burst/blast attack and pick up the warwizard PP that makes a power into an MBA though that may require the power to hit only one target I don't remember.  Then powerswapping for all bursts but that would be horrendous.  Otherwise you are giving up you basic defending tools.
Yah, might have to just pick up the at-wills, and forget the other stuff. 

Spent like ten minutes working a skeleton for it here:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Went the wrong way though. Headed for hybrid, and it won't work.