Help with a Ranger of the Night's Watch

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let me say this up front. I haven't read the books, so let's keep Spoilers to Season 1

Anyway, what's the best way to portray a Nights Watch Ranger type character?

Ranger is the obvious answer, but I haven't seen anyone use a two hand style on the show and they seem to wear heavier armor.

Maybe Fighter MC Ranger? But I imagine them more strikerish than Defender.

Thoughts? 
Well, what precisely do they do?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Are you not familiar with Game of Thrones?

Barely even heard of it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Barely even heard of it.

It's a series of books and more recently an HBO series that is basically a low-fantasy D&D setting. If you like D&D I strongly recommend it
Except for possible training in Nature, it really doesn't look like Ranger lines up with the Night Watch at all.

I would probably say Slayer, and then take a Background or Theme that offers a bonus to or Skill Training in Nature.
Do you know of any backgrounds or themes that give Nature?
There's several which give Nature training (backgrounds, not themes). Aside from that, I think Ranger works perfectly fine as a Member of the Nights Watch, though you could include several classes into their ranks. The aforementioned Slayer works, as does its parent-class Fighter, Paladin, and others.

I'm on the 3rd book myself, and recently bought Season 1 as a DVD boxed set, and I must say, it's spot-on for the first book imho. It puts faces to the names, and their choice of cast works out well.

A class/theme combo that would work well (If you're using someone like, say, Jon Snow) would be a Ranger or Fighter with Fey Beast Tamer as a theme, though I would stay away from Beastmaster Ranger stuff.

If you've got any other GoT inspired questions, fire away, as I'm trying to develop a campaign based off the books.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I'm not trying to make snow, just a generic ranger. I'm thinking a Fighter with the forest warden background to get nature and perception (which covers tracking) is the best fit.

For me, I'm going for a more striker Fighter with two handed style and Ranger MC
I didn't mean for you to make Snow, I was just using him as an example. Fighter MC Ranger would work, what theme are you thinking?

Mercenary may work well.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Sounds like Slayer is really the right class, as they work well with 2-handers.  Sohei seems a good fit for theme, as the Nights Watch somewhat reminds me of warrior monks, and from a playability perspective the sohei path brings some nice benefits.  Aspirant of the Watcher background allows you to select nature as a class skill.