Rate Hybrid Ranger/Rogue please

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lately I've really been into hybridding classes since the group I've played with has played nearly every other regular class (except Vampire...blech!)

So I wanted to make a ranger/rogue that gets to apply both Hunter's Quarry and Sneak Attack damage every round. I was successful by making all of the powers Free, Immediates, or Minor (except the At-Wills which are Standard of course).

TYRANTCLAW BUILT 

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Krunk, level 6
Half-Orc, Ranger/Rogue
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Hybrid Talent Option: Rogue Tactics (Hybrid)
Rogue Tactics (Hybrid) Option: Brutal Scoundrel (Hybrid)
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 10, DEX 19, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 11

AC: 19 Fort: 18 Ref: 18 Will: 14
HP: 56 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Dungeoneering +9, Intimidate +10, Perception +9, Stealth +12, Thievery +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +7, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Endurance +5, Heal +4, History +2, Insight +4, Nature +4, Religion +2, Streetwise +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault Free
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry Minor
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Clever Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Off-Hand Strike Minor
Rogue Attack 1: Duelist's Prowess Minor
Ranger Utility 2: Unbalancing Parry Immediate Reaction
Rogue Attack 3: Nasty Backswing Free
Ranger Attack 5: Wounded Beast Immediate Reaction
Rogue Utility 6: Vexing Flanker Immediate Reaction

FEATS
Level 1: Spiked Chain Training
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Hybrid Talent (Brutal Scoundrel)
Level 6: Menacing Thug

ITEMS
Spiked chain x1
Leather Armor x1
====== End ======

With a +2 Spiked Chain, I can do up to 91 damage to one enemy in one turn (STD: Clever Strike with CA --> FREE: Sneak Attack --> FREE:  Furious Assault --> MIN: Off Hand Swing --> MIN: Hunter's Quarry --> IMRE: Wounded Beast)

I was looking for a character with a free/minor/immediats schtick so this probably isn't completely optimized (which is why I'm posting it and hoping to get feedback on how I can get a little more juice out of this orange).

ty in advance! 
EDIT(Removed invalid arguement)

Problem #2 How do you plan on having combat advantage against the person attacking you for Duelist Prowess?  After a couple of rounds this is the only way for you to get both hunter's quarry and sneak attack in the same round?

Suggestion:  Its a waste for you to have 19STR and 19Dex drop one down to 18 and boost the other to 20 you dont use any of your other abilities it seems.

Spiked Chain is a Light Blade when you take Spiked Chain Training.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Oh, my bad I did not notice that.  So ignore my problem #1 I made an assumption that it was just proficiency...
I would swap out level 2 for invigorating stride. I would take low slash at 3rd, and and probably snarling wolf at 5th.

At higher levels I might retrain Rogue Tactics (Brutal Scoundrel) for Rogue tactics (cunning stalker), but that is personal prefernece for the hidden tactics.

Consider Riposte Strike as an alternative to Clever Strike. Remember rogues can add sneak attack 1/turn, rather than the 1/round for quarry, but hybrid rogue requires it to be a rogue attack. Riposte and Duelist's Prowess fulfil that condition.

As to the CA comment above, Always go for the flank...
I would swap out level 2 for invigorating stride. I would take low slash at 3rd, and and probably snarling wolf at 5th.

At higher levels I might retrain Rogue Tactics (Brutal Scoundrel) for Rogue tactics (cunning stalker), but that is personal prefernece for the hidden tactics.

Consider Riposte Strike as an alternative to Clever Strike. Remember rogues can add sneak attack 1/turn, rather than the 1/round for quarry, but hybrid rogue requires it to be a rogue attack. Riposte and Duelist's Prowess fulfil that condition.

Problem with Snarling Wolf Stance is that you aren't going to trigger either striker mechanic on MBAs.

This is true, I just don't rate wounded beast that highly...

Any double attack would also rate more highly in my book... RJ, are you advocating Wounded beast?

Edit: I suppose the OP took it as an off-turn attack, and for that I suppose it serves, and adds to durability...

2nd Edit: ...but as a daily, I think more damage could be generated by an MBA multiple times in an encounter (cherry pick your encounter, of course, with a target making frequent close attacks), rather than one IR, (even without the striker mechanic).
Right, normally it wouldn't be very good but it does fill a role here.

I like the Clever strike because I don't have to expose my backside to behind-enemy-lines. I can stand next to the tank (or even behind him since I have a reach weapon, in that case I don't expect enemies to attack me and trigger interrupts...)

But then again, Riposte will help out quite a bit once my other Interrupts are used...hmm. 

No go on Invigorating Stride. My Wisdom is weak and we homerule (our only homerule mind you) that Second Wind is a minor (free for Dwarves).

I Love Snarling Wolf though. It will allow me to keep Clever Strike.
Thanks

-----------

Decom, thanks for pointing out the 19/19 stat problem. A Noob mistake I overlooked. I'll surely be goin 18STR and 20DEX.