D&D Miniatures and 5e: What do you want to see (or not see)?

D&D Miniatures are my favorite product. This seems hard to believe once you are aware of the fact I've never bought them! I do have a collection of about 500 D&D Miniatures, but I got them very inexpensively off of someone who didn't want them anymore.

Why have I never bought them? They were randomized. When I played M:tG the randomized packs weren't a concern to me. However, with minis, I absolutely, positively cannot stand it. It prevented me from buying what I have long considered as my favorite D&D product.

I want minis so I can have cool looking representations of characters and monsters when I game, especially for grid fights. In D&D Next, if we had non-randomized miniatures I would buy them all the time. If they were released in large, varied (non-random) packages I would buy them as well. In fact, if every monster in the monster manual were released in one huge miniature package, I'd preorder it the second I found out about it. As it stands today, I'm likely going to buy the skirmish game so I can use the miniatures in D&D.

How do you guys feel about miniatures? What do you want to see or not see regarding them? Keep in mind, I am aware they are discontinued but the release of D&D Next would be a good time to bring them back if WotC found enough player support for them. What do you guys think?
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
I like the miniatures, and would welcome some means of getting non-randomized sets.

I'd suggest that they be packaged with and adventure or as Encounter groups from the Monster Manuals.  The real reason behind Random was to have fewer SKU to track (advantage to mass market retailers).

Another hope is that some means of creating stat cards for Next for all of the previously released figures (I know, FAT CHANCE).

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

There are many online vendors if single minis and if shop around you can find pretty good prices for most of the common and uncommon ones.   On a per mini basis the cost about the same as if you bought them randomized... shipping is usually just a few dollars unless you purchase a truckload at once.
That is all true (as I used that extensively to build my collection), but what do you WANT to see?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I loved the minis, but always bought 2nd-hand from ebay so I knew what I was getting.
what do you WANT to see?

A Hasbro line of toys that are on the same scale as D&D miniatures.

what do you WANT to see?

A Hasbro line of toys that are on the same scale as D&D miniatures.

I really like that idea.
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
Non random packs.

I would like to come up with an adventure involving undead, and be able to run down to the FLGS and buy myself 2 packs of skeletons, 2 packs of zombies, a pack of ghouls, and a few mage looking dudes because there is a necromancer looking one in there I like (and having some extra wizards around would be cool as well), and wait there is another cool one that I am going to get for s&g.

I also like the option of a token pack. Same idea, but thick stock cardboard buttons of your favorite bad guys. Bottom line is I would rather pay a bit more knowing exactly what I'm getting than to get a bunch of stuff you don't need or will never use.

I would prefer the minis, I like them. My entire computer desk is covered in them (to include the gargantuan red dragon, and the huge blue and white dragon (macro)minis). But tokens would be better for those with less pocket change for counters.

I never understood why they never released a boxed basic set of miniatures. Really something like this:

Box 1: Kobolds & Goblins
Kobold Warrior (harbinger)
Kobold Soldier (Angelfire)
Snig, Worg Rider (War Drums)
Goblin Sneak (Harbinger)
Goblin Cutter (Legendary Evils)

Box 2: Undead

Skeleton legionnaire (War Drums)

Skeletal Archer (Angel Fire)

Zombie (Giants of Legend)

Grave touched Ghoul (Unhallowed)

Lurking Wraith (Against the Giants)

Box 3: Orcs, Bugbears & Hobgoblins

Bugbear Champion (dragoneye)

Orc Archer (Harbinger)

Orc Mauler (War Drums)

Hobgoblin Sergeant (Giants of Legend)

Box 4: Gnolls, Trolls, Ogres

Demonic Gnoll Archer (War of the Dragon Queen)

Gnoll (Aberrations)

Troll Slasher (Anglefire)

Ogre Pulverizer (Demonweb)

Box 5: Animals

Wolf (Harbinger)

Celestial Black Bear (Aberrations)

Warhorse (Desert of Desolation)

Bat Familiar (Unhallowed)

Dire Boar (Harbinger)

Box 6: Vermin and Oozes

Insects Deathjump Spider (Dungeons of Dread)

Giant Centipede (Dungeons of Dread)

Stirge (War of the Dragon Queen)

Dire Rat (Giants of Legends)

Ochre Jelly (Against the Giants)

Box 7: Swamp Critters

Lizardfolk (Harbinger)

Troglodyte Thug (War Drums)

Deathrattle Viper (Savage Encounters)

Giant Frog (Deathknell)

Visejaw Crocodile (Desert of Desolation)

Thats it...all most people need for a good game. Box them up and sell them for no more than $8 a pop. If people want multiple creatures they simply by more boxes. It is the same product plan as the booster packs but would allow for people to pick as well. 

Thats it...all most people need for a good game. Box them up and sell them for no more than $8 a pop. If people want multiple creatures they simply by more boxes. It is the same product plan as the booster packs but would allow for people to pick as well. 

I like that idea as well.

Personally, I would love to see campaign themed boxes as well. We know FR is in D&D Next, I'd like to see some FR sets. If Eberron is reprinted, there is a ton of campaign-specific miniatures that would likely do very well. In fact, every campaign setting has campaign specific miniatures that would likely do well, especially if the prices were reasonable.

If my favorite campaign setting of all time is reprinted, Planescape, I would probably buy every set of miniatures (and Dungeon Tiles) produced for it, and quite possibly multiples of each.
I never understood why they never released a boxed basic set of miniatures. Really something like this:

It's simple.  If you need twenty kobolds, your options are essentially...

• Buy the box of 20 kobolds (or four boxes of five kobolds, whatever).

• Buy a huge pile of randomized 'booster packs' that may or may not have any kobolds.

• Buy twenty kobolds from the aftermarket (where someone else has opened an even bigger pile of booster packs).

One of these options is a one-and-done.  The other two moves cases of product.  Guess which option Hasbro prefers (or rather, which one they don't).
I personally dislike fixed distriubtion schemes because it drives the price up, but for those of you who do, the Dungeon Command product should fit your needs quite nicely.
I personally dislike fixed distriubtion schemes because it drives the price up, but for those of you who do, the Dungeon Command product should fit your needs quite nicely.

In my opinion. I'd much rather spend 15 dollars or the 8 monsters I want than 10 or even 5 for 8 random monsters that may or may not be what I want.

Don't want to see: Random distrobution.  That would be why I almost never bought D&D minis

Do want to see: They've been good about big solo minis, though.  I love my Colossal Red Dragon from the old Iconics series.  What I want to see is similar attention paid to the things you need tons of minis for.  I want to see a "Skeleton Army", "Orcish Horde" or "Zombie Apocalypse in a Box" providing a raw mass of figures.  I don't care if they're somewhat lower quality than your average D&D mini, the point is thatgetting more mans on the dollar, and easy access to lots of them

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Since my group can never play in person, I would love that along with minis, there be some way to purchase pngs of tokenized monsters like the cardboard sheets they include with the published adventures.  (Ditto for digital dungeon tiles that I can use in my online games).  I can scan them myself, but it's a little cumbersome.  I can do google image searches, but it lacks a certain consistency that you get from the D&D artists.  

Buy lead and apply or don't apply paint. Cool

Grid and figures have been part of every D and D edition, and it will be part of this one too. Firgures are iconic.

It's simple.  If you need twenty kobolds, your options are essentially...

• Buy the box of 20 kobolds (or four boxes of five kobolds, whatever).

• Buy a huge pile of randomized 'booster packs' that may or may not have any kobolds.

• Buy twenty kobolds from the aftermarket (where someone else has opened an even bigger pile of booster packs).

One of these options is a one-and-done.  The other two moves cases of product.  Guess which option Hasbro prefers (or rather, which one they don't).

While the last two options certainly do move cases of product, I believe the first option would move cases as well. Many here have posted in here they dislike random distribution and has been a major turn off for many (myself included). Keep in mind minis are my favorite product, and even though I always wanted to buy minis I bought them since it was randomized.

I personally would have bought cases by myself by now if there were large non-randomized sets.
I like non-randomized minis.  That is my preferance.  However, I am perfectly willing to accept pogs/tokens, the kind of thing we got with the essentials monster book.  To sum up my views: cool minis is non-randomized boxes would be nice, but I don't need awsome minis (or cool minis at too high a price).  Pogs are cheap and easy to produce, and they take up less space to store.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I refuse to buy randomized minis. Ever. Put out sets of monster types if u want my money.
I've got to agree with the general opinion here. Stuff your randomized packs straight up... Well I'm sure u get the idea.
Common, uncommon, rare figs in a randomized pack? Hmmm sounds an awful lot like M:tG and a money grab geared at collectors. One of the reasons I got out of playing M:tG is how obvious it became with foil cards. I see little difference between the products.
Offer me non-randomized, monster type collections and I'll buy them.
I've got lots of lead figs that we've painted but could always use a few more "blank" goblins, skeletons, archers, etc.

Dear Wizards, please encourage me to buy your product and release a product I want to buy.
I'd like to see more large and huge miniatures in non-random packs - giants, trolls, large animals etc...
Well, the origional selling of the minis had 2 functions: One, it was it's own standalone game, and that is why random distribution made sense for that product line. The second was truely secondary, which was for use in D&D.

So while I understand, I think D&D should have it's own set of counters that you can buy whatever you want. And the bigger ones would just be fun to have even if you don't use them. I would buy every dragon they made with this as long as they are the same quality as the macro minis that they released before.

While the last two options certainly do move cases of product, I believe the first option would move cases as well.

But in a way that's much more uncomfortable to WotC and vendors. Like someone said

Huge collection - Moderate Price - Non-random packaging -> Pick two of them

Too large of a product line to carry? How about limited releases? The pack of goblins is available for X months and then a different set will be available.
3 or 4 sets available for a limited time until new sets come in to replace them. They could then rotate in sets that sell really well along with the new sets.
Saying that WotC will not sell non-randomized miniatures because it will lower sales is unfair IMO. It's much like saying they won't release open playtest materials for D&D because they fear it will harm their sales, but I'm pretty sure if WotC had kept secret they were going to have open playtest materials people would say "They will never do it. It will hurt sales because of X".

We won't know until something gets announced, but it seems likely SOME kind of miniatures will be released by WotC in some fashion (or by someone else), but that's about the best I can guess at this moment.

i love the minis.  it adds a really awesome visual dimension to the game.

unfortunatly, i only own 5 wizards minis (which i paid a pretty penny for at an online auction).  and i own 3 reaper minis, and a handful of tokens. 

i would love to be able to just pick up minis at the store.  if walmart or target had them, id be in heaven.  broke, but in heaven.  ;)

by the time i started playing d&d, it was just over a year ago, with 4th edition.  by the time i started gaming, they were already discontinued.

imagine my diappointment!  the tokens are a nice idea, and i do like them.  they are more affordable (sorta) and you get more for your buck but id much rather game with real minis.  im not a fan of the reaper minis either, btw.

i do wonder what the future of minis really is..

I've got 3 large toolboxes of hundreds of minis. I bought all of them through retail (as I live in South Africa) in an effort to get those 20 orcs, or 12 kobolds, or 20 skeletons I needed for the next adventure. So WotC got me: I spent lots of money to get specific miniatures and I definitely didn't get all the ones I wanted.

If there are miniatures in DDN, I'd like them to be non-randomised and based on themes or packs. I can imagine buying a hero pack of iconic characters, an adventure pack with huge fold-out map and just the enemies in that module (old use of the word) or a clan pack with a dozen of a common enemy: Orc, Goblin, Undead, etc.

The epic solo minis worked really well too as you knew what you were getting and immediately started imagining what scenarios you could use it for. (I built an entire dragon hunting campaign around the Epic Black Dragon miniature).
The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules. -Gary Gygax
I want unpainted plastic minis with direct D&DN reference sold individually that are significantly cheaper than metal minis.

I want to go online and order a dozen different of these minis at varying costs based on size, scuplt and supply and have them shipped to my house in one plastic bag with cardboard reading Dungeons & Dragons folded and stapled over the opening.

I want to go to my LFGS and order a dozen different loose minis at varying costs based on WotC prices and LFGS supply and have them pull them out of bags behind the counter and place them in my reusable bag along with the receipt.  Ordering through LFGS should also be an option, support your LFGS.
I've got your answers for you all right here and right now!
Pathfinder Archvillian pack $19.99 Out today
Pathfinder Hero pack $14.99 Out Today
Pathfinder randomized miniature set of 40 figures, Out Today

Paizo has heard you and they have already fulfilled your requests for more prepainted plastic miniatures. Furthermore, these minis are out TODAY, so go to your local gaming store and buy them, TODAY.

August Rise of Runelords minis set will finally be released to the public and the figures look totally fantastic. 
personally I'd rather have unpainted models than the poor standard of the prepainted models.  I can paint them to a better standard then that in just a few minutes (that's for the entire box).  I'd rather they weren't made of the awful quality plastic that pre-painted minis are usually made with.  I'd rather they didn't come in randomised boxes.  That just leads people to ebay for the models that they want and they usually end up paying more than they would have for a good quality miniatures.

The only customers that win with randomised prepainted models are those that don't care what the minis actually look like (and those reselling on ebay).
As long as there is tabletop role playing, I'll be using minis in some shape or form. For D&D Next, I hope they have room for both minis and counters/tiles/tokens/pogs. I love the Essentials Monster Manual box sets, and think there's room for both minis and tokens to co-exist on a table. I prefer minis, but a quick token is nice too for when I don't have a mini available.

personally I'd rather have unpainted models than the poor standard of the prepainted models.

Me not.

I can paint them to a better standard then that in just a few minutes (that's for the entire box).

But I simply don't want to. I could but I have absolutely no intention to ever do it again. I once painted some 12 elves for GW's LotR tabletop game and even one PC mini and I didn't enjoy a second of this. I have better things to do in my freetime than work for my D&D hobby.

I'd rather they weren't made of the awful quality plastic that pre-painted minis are usually made with.

I love the material they're made out or painted with. I can just hazardously toss them in an unpadded box and don't have to worry that they break or the paint chips away from hard impacts (unlike my one painted metal PC mini)

That just leads people to ebay for the models that they want and they usually end up paying more than they would have for a good quality miniatures.

No really. I'd rather pay 15€ for a prepainted mini on the secondary market than buy a unpainted one for 5€ and have someone paint it to me for 20€+postage (and than have mini that needs to be handled like a raw egg lest it breaks or gets ugly blots where the paint chipped away)
D&D Miniatures are my favorite product. This seems hard to believe once you are aware of the fact I've never bought them! I do have a collection of about 500 D&D Miniatures, but I got them very inexpensively off of someone who didn't want them anymore.

Why have I never bought them? They were randomized. When I played M:tG the randomized packs weren't a concern to me. However, with minis, I absolutely, positively cannot stand it. It prevented me from buying what I have long considered as my favorite D&D product.

I want minis so I can have cool looking representations of characters and monsters when I game, especially for grid fights. In D&D Next, if we had non-randomized miniatures I would buy them all the time. If they were released in large, varied (non-random) packages I would buy them as well. In fact, if every monster in the monster manual were released in one huge miniature package, I'd preorder it the second I found out about it. As it stands today, I'm likely going to buy the skirmish game so I can use the miniatures in D&D.

How do you guys feel about miniatures? What do you want to see or not see regarding them? Keep in mind, I am aware they are discontinued but the release of D&D Next would be a good time to bring them back if WotC found enough player support for them. What do you guys think?

If they were made of gold and were 1 dollar, I'd buy them! Why doesnt WOTC do whats been demonstrated as economically unfeasible and offer a crap selection cater to my taste? After all, I'm too lazy to use the secondary market to get the figures I want cheap! Oooh look, I found a  Cheeto in my economics armchair!
Non random packs.

I would like to come up with an adventure involving undead, and be able to run down to the FLGS and buy myself 2 packs of skeletons, 2 packs of zombies, a pack of ghouls, and a few mage looking dudes because there is a necromancer looking one in there I like (and having some extra wizards around would be cool as well), and wait there is another cool one that I am going to get for s&g.

You can, in Reaper's anemic line. Sadly, once you get past basic dungeon fodder and level 1-4 monsters, you're SOL.

Random offers variety, price, and even non-random on the secondary market.

I've got your answers for you all right here and right now!
Pathfinder Archvillian pack $19.99 Out today
Pathfinder Hero pack $14.99 Out Today
Pathfinder randomized miniature set of 40 figures, Out Today

Paizo has heard you and they have already fulfilled your requests for more prepainted plastic miniatures. Furthermore, these minis are out TODAY, so go to your local gaming store and buy them, TODAY.

August Rise of Runelords minis set will finally be released to the public and the figures look totally fantastic. 

But they want them non-random! They dont care about prices of mold, sculpting cost, common:uncommon:rare ratios and price breaks, fodder vs specific creatures, etc. Those are FACTS! This is the internet, we have a proud tradition of not caring about anything but satisfying our desires, no matter how unfeasible or unreasonable it is!
personally I'd rather have unpainted models than the poor standard of the prepainted models.  I can paint them to a better standard then that in just a few minutes (that's for the entire box).  I'd rather they weren't made of the awful quality plastic that pre-painted minis are usually made with.  I'd rather they didn't come in randomised boxes.  That just leads people to ebay for the models that they want and they usually end up paying more than they would have for a good quality miniatures.

Reapers trying that with their "Bones" line. Unfortunately, its based on what they already have in plastic, which is like... 40 models in 3-4 years now. So one day you might get a giant, or something.

Incidentally, commons/uncommons are almost always cheaper in pre-paint than metal equivalents. Its a tradeoff of quality vs convenience. I paint, but use a lot of pre-paints in gaming. They take a beating much better and I can just throw them in a freezer bag for transport.
what wizards needs to do with command :

1st, expand on the basic monsters...i expext to see iconics such as dwarves,elves, humans
, but go further...add deva, aasimar, more goliath, dragonborn if fact let's expand on this and add...

2nd more diversity...yes...there are now more female and minorities playing d&D let's reflect that with choices in the figures, for pete sake. 

3rd..pieces that aren't just about combat..paizos upcoming rise of the runelords mini set has at least two minis that act as patrons, perhaps wizards can follow suit.

4th add variety to the monsters in a set..i don't need three of a monster type ..looking at you paizo....but  add different monsters than the basics...

i read on the wany of non mionature packs..and i beilive that Lisa stevens , CEO of paizo   stated why the random packs were needed. i'll find her reply and post it here later.         
As long as they're random and blind packaged I will not buy them. Especially with the poor quality sculpts and paint jobs that the D&D minis have had. Throughout 3.x, I filled out a lot of product surveys for WotC and always made a note of that.

I would rather have cardboard monster tokens than blindpacked minis. Either I know what I'm paying for or I'm not paying fot it.
This is the internet, we have a proud tradition of not caring about anything but satisfying our desires, no matter how unfeasible or unreasonable it is!

And apparently we also have a proud tradition of idiotic hyperbole full of sarcastic psuedo-intellectualism. Wow, cunsumers wanting to know what they're getting before they buy something is soooo unreasonable.

You can keep making excuses for businesses that use practices that do not benefit to the end user, but I'll vote with my wallet. Businesses are not entitled to consumers buying their products--it is a privilege that must be earned by producing the product that the consumer wants.
Azzy1974 you receive a +1 sword of awesomeness
Azzy1974 you receive a +1 sword of awesomeness

Thank you. Smile
Sign In to post comments