SQWAK? massive birds

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
any other huger or larger birds out there besides rocs? need them big enough to carry players
any other huger or larger birds out there besides rocs? need them big enough to carry players

If they're meant to carry players around, then just say that the birds are there, done.  No stats needed.

If they're meant to be brought into a fight or something, that's when you bring in the stats.  The DMG has suggestions on how to stat them appropriately, and leave it up to the imagination to determine what are the most appropriate attacks or what not ;)

The game is versatile enough that you can get Demigorgon, bring him down to whatever level the PCs are, reskin him to be a flying bird, and that's it! It may have some of his stats, but stats aren't what make the birds -- or any other creatures -- what they are.  It's how you, the DM, brings them to life ;)
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
If they're meant to carry players around, then just say that the birds are there, done.  No stats needed.

Exactly. And if you need stats, take the roc and call it whatever you want it to be.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.