[AVR-ICD] Bonfire of the Damned

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/524334_289801251102745_117422515007287_686938_151512392_n.jpg)

Bonfire of the Damned   RXX

Sorcery -  (M)
Bonfire of the damned deals X damage to target player and each creature he or she controls.

Miracle - RX 
Sweet
interesting to say the least.
So.... it's a bigger Red Sun's Zenith that doesn't discriminate?
Even without the miracle cost, I would say well done.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
I look forward to ruining my opponents' limited games with this card.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
nice
proud member of the 2011 community team
2 Miracle mythics... pretty worrisome...

This is pretty good, though. 
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
This is the first miracle i've seen that I would happily pay non-miracle cost. Could easily find its way into my RG agro burn deck, maybe in place of brimstone  volley.
It's cute. Might make a nice addition to some EDH decks but if you don't miracle it it's kind of pathetic. to deal 2 damage to a player and each of his or her creature? I'd rather just use Volcanic Fallout or Earthquake and take the damage.
So.... it's a bigger Red Sun's Zenith that doesn't discriminate?

I'd think of it as more of a Comet Storm
ooh I do not like this.

this is a card where you REALLY want to pick your spot to wipe your opponents board and hit them for a nice chunk. Blowing your wad early because you drew it early is really undesirable and if you DON'T Miracast it, you are stuck paying double X and double X is deceptively hard to pull off. Hardcasted, this is probably always going to be a 5 mana pyroclasm, which nobody should ever want to do.
Unlike Pyroclasm, this is one sided. Should be fun in an aggro/tokens mirror, all my guys live and can now beat your face in cause all your guys are dead. I don't know if this will be used in a deck that can't exploit the one sidedness though, they probably prefer Slagstorm.
When are they going to spoil the playable miracle cards?. This is good with the miracle and terrible without it which isn't going to cut in constructed.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

This is by far the most playable Miracle so far if we exclude the Miracle cost.  It's pretty amazing.  I can see this effing up all kinds of ess.
After 2 depressing walkers and a crapton of boring angels (except for the boros one), I really dig this.
A sweeper for Aggro mirrors? It's a neat way for RDW to clear out opposing tokens, hardcasting it for 5 to sweep and then attack through.

Not sure I'd want it in a Control deck in place of Slagstorm or Blasphemous Act, but where the one-sidedness is important it should be quite strong. 
What's wrong with the green Plague Wind + Chaos miracle card?
I think Riku could find use for this. Mine draws enough cards, and xurr for 2x to opponents and creatures could be fun.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Damn good.

3 mana to kill all your spirits?

My team is swinging through?

SOLD! 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Wait it's creatures your opponent controls. Undecided  Yeh I suppose this is good then I thought it affected both players.
On further thought I still don't think this is better than Whipflare or Slagstorm in standard without good libary manipulation.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

I adore that this is the first Miracle spoiled where the Miracle has a different effect than the hardcast.

The hardcast is really, really good at killing x/1s (and recurring Chandra's Phoenix to boot) and it is solid at shocking the opponent and killing x/2s.

The Miracle is a thermonuclear bomb.

Playable card.  Not crazy, but playable.  I'll want a few since I just sold my soul to Tibalt

He didn't promise it would be a good ride, but he said it sure would be fun!

EDIT:  Possible cycle?

Just a dumb shot in the dark (no idea if Scry is evergreen at this point yet or not)

Delusions of the Damned XXU 
Instant
Scry X.
Draw X.
Miracle XU 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.

Instant
Scry X.
Draw X.
Miracle XU 

If they print that card I will preorder 24 of them the second it's spoiled.

I adore that this is the first Miracle spoiled where the Miracle has a different effect than the hardcast.

The hardcast is really, really good at killing x/1s (and recurring Chandra's Phoenix to boot) and it is solid at shocking the opponent and killing x/2s.

Playable card.  Not crazy, but playable.  I'll want a few since I just sold my soul to Tibalt

Just a dumb shot in the dark (no idea if Scry is evergreen at this point yet or not)

Instant
Scry X.
Draw X.
Miracle XU 

Blue already has a Mythic miracle.

If every colour has one, I'd be suprised, but I don't think there's a cycle of X-spell miracles. 

Instant
Scry X.
Draw X.
Miracle XU 

Blue already has a Mythic miracle.

If every colour has one, I'd be suprised, but I don't think there's a cycle of X-spell miracles. 

I doubt it too.  I just think it is so effing elegant that the Miracle is functionally different from the hardcast with the same template.

I feel like SOMEONE in R&D would fall in love with this parsimony as well.

Just a shot in the dark. 
Show
Damn good.

SOLD! 

Only 2 if you do a miracle!

I playtested this with this sketch of a deck (with a miniature card-pitching theme that helps with graveyard shenanigans and also giving you something to do with Thunderous Wrath that you can't Miracle):

20x Mountain

4x Grim Lavamancer
4x Spikeshot Elder
4x Chandra's Phoenix
4x Vexing Devil

4x Thunderous Wrath
4x Bonfire of the Damned
4x Volt Charge
4x Faithless Looting

4x Tibal, the Field-Blooded
4x Koth of the Hammer

And it's really good.  I found myself not wanting to pitch the ones I got in my opening hand.
Damn good.

SOLD! 

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Geez. That is one of the sickest limited cards I've ever seen.

In fact, this is probably among the top 10 red limited cards of all time. Sick. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
At mythic, it would've been really nice if this had been instant, not sorcery.
But I suspect I may be splitting hairs in the long run.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
At mythic, it would've been really nice if this had been instant, not sorcery.
But I suspect I may be splitting hairs in the long run.

oraymw hit the nail on the head.  

This is Mythic for limited purposes.  It would be really swingy being as splashable as it is with the fact that you'll be popping three packs of this set.
Show
It seems to me that this does best as a whipflare/slagstorm replacement in Wolf Run Ramp, because:

Early game non miracle: as island says, Kill your spirits 
Early game miracle:  Kill all your stuff
Late game non miracle: Kill a pesky x/3 or x/4 (if it's been stuck in your hand the whole time)
Late game miracle: Win games out of absolutely nowhere
Yep, this will see plenty of play in Limited and constructed.  Even in fast decks like RDW, 3 mana to kill their tokens (whether they be spirits, humans or vampires) seems pretty good to me and deals them 1 damage to boot.  TheMOTI sums it up very well as to the various conitations this card may have.
Wow....a Board Fireball....on miracle...and even still playable as a XXR...I could see Red/Blue getting loved
like all miracles...great at miracle cost, bad for normal cost...(not that bad...but mana intensive)
This with that lighthouse land could equal one sic instant speed butt kicking!
I wish these mircale cards didn't make limited so one-sided.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

I wish these mircale cards didn't make limited so one-sided.

The correct senctence is " I wish miracle didn't make limited so much based on luck"
Not to be "that guy" but do we have a source for this yet??
Since I'm sure I remember reading that Wizards have decided to abandon double X costs and after Horrorcane turned out to be a fake...

If it's legit it seems like it'll really come into its own when Slagstorm and Whipflare rotate out, possibly even before given the fact that it's a one sided wipe. 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I playtested this with this sketch of a deck (with a miniature card-pitching theme that helps with graveyard shenanigans and also giving you something to do with Thunderous Wrath that you can't Miracle):
And it's really good.  I found myself not wanting to pitch the ones I got in my opening hand.

And the other? The Walker, the other miracle without miracle cost and the devil?

That's one pretty sweet miracle.
Miracle worries me. Nowhere does it say to reveal the card, so it would be hard to determine whether or not it was the first card drawn in a turn. The possibility to cheat is definitely there.

The card is obviously good.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Sign In to post comments