Magic newbie asking for deck help

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm pretty new to Magic, having only started playing Magic Online a few days ago. I did play the paper-card version a bit in high school, but that was almost a decade ago at this point, so I'm a rookie when it comes to modern Magic.

The idea of the deck is to produce and power-up as many zombies as possible, while recalling important zombies that have been killed with abilities like Disentomb and the Ghoulraiser.

I've been having lots of trouble with enemy Flying Creatures, Enchantments and Artifacts, but don't have (or know of) any appropriate cards that could truly counter them.

2 Warpath Ghoul
2 Doom Blade
3 Adaptive Automaton
2 Ghoulcaller's Chant
2 Ghoulraiser
1 One-Eyed Scarecrow
2 Diregraf Ghoul
1 Cemetery Reaper
1 Jar of Eyeballs
1 Endless Ranks of the Dead
7 Swamp
2 Nested Ghoul
3 Walking Corpse
1 Geth's Verdict
1 Cellar Door
2 Moan of the Unhallowed
1 Sightless Ghoul
2 Disentomb
2 Highborn Ghoul
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Go for the Throat
1 Gravedigger
2 Unbreathing Horde
7 Swamp
7 Swamp
2 Skinrender
1 Diabolic Tutor

Unfortunately black can't deal with artifacts and enchantments very well, so you might as well ignore them and focus on your strengths. As for enemy flyers, I suggest adding more of Geth's Verdict and Doom Blade, and a zombie deck can benefit from Lord of the Undead, Zombie Master and Soulless One.
adaptive automaton ids a stange card in a tribal deck with so many lords to choose from. Your decks need an actual strategy, it seems a bit all over the place. Most zombie decks try to overwhelm opponent using strong 1 drops in conjunction with strong lords to mount a fast and powerful offense. Its not the only strategy at all, but you would need to find some way to make use of zombierecursion to give you power (zombie infestation and madness is one example) cuz other than skinrender and phyrexian crusader zombies are sadly lacking in powerful, stand-alone 3-5 drops.
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "1 drops", and I assume "lord" refers to creatures like Lord of the Undead and Undead Warchief?

I haven't been able to find many of those kinds of cards in the Standard format in Magic Online (which is the version I started playing a few days ago). The closest I could find were the Adaptive Automaton and Cemetery Reaper, which I did my best to include as many of as I could.

The "newbies" section of Magic Online only allows Stadard-format and special "Planeswalker" decks to be used. The one time I tried playing in the normal section with a Classic deck type I was destroyed by a player who had a card that prevented any non-flying creatures from attacking, then made me sit and watch as he made 20 4/4 Angel tokens. It was humiliating, to say the least.
carnophage
diregraf ghoul
gravecrawler
sarcomancy

unfortunately the last two are expensive, but can be replaced with some decent 2 drops for less power and more reasonable budget.
for lords the king would be death baron (yah yah baron/king), but again he's $$  

is standard  and runs something similar to the agro tactic. its not cheap but im afraid you wont be able to build a good zombie deck, certainly not in standard without deep pockets 
That's unfortunate. I tried to copy the Ghoulkeeper deck from the Duel of the Planeswalkers video game, which was what got me to try Magic again in the first place.

I don't see any cards that make zombie tokens in your version. Were they all dropped for more buffing-type cards like the Diregraf Captains?
zombies dont rly do well at tokens. reaper can be useful but hes mostly a beater/buffer.

Yoy CAN build a deck around endless ranks, but it will always be relatively easy to disrupt and just not quite as powerful as one without it. Altho i suppose this depends on the power and budget of opponent. Vs a good deck ranks wont usually work, vs a mediocre deck it will be a great fun way to win
Hmm. So cards like Endless Ranks of The Dead, Moan of the Unhallowed, and Nested Ghoul don't make for very good decks?

Seems a little odd since there are so many cards that make tokens, that there wouldn't be a powerful deck somewhere in there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a harder look at what I can do with the cards I have or can easily aquire.
nested ghoul is more of a combo-ish piece, finding some way to deal damage to him many or infinite times and making him indestructible or something, but even if you found the cards it wouldnt be a good combo.

90% of the cards in magic are either unplayable or not very good, thats why so many cards cost 0.01 and some cards cost 10-100$.

the idea with tokens is to get a lot of them and buff them. getting 2 tokens for 4 mana just isnt exciting.
endless ranks would be great with good token spells or defensive creatures, but again zombies dont have the support.

Now its not like you CAN'T make a deck using these cards or that it will suck, it just wont be fantastic no matter what you do.    
I'm afraid it appears I have to abandon this deck idea; pricing out the cards you suggested, I'd be looking at well over $50 of cards.

My current budget is around $5.
for super budget standard i'd look into GW agro with splicers and overrun. you can make a fairly decent deck with that.
"agro"? I'm not familiar with a lot of Magic shorthand yet.

But was something like this what you were talking about? I know it's not optimal, but it's what I could throw together with the cards I have

"Aggro" decks are usually fast, creature-based decks. When you say your budget is $5, does that include the cards in the first post? I mean, have you already bought the cards in your original post?
"Aggro" decks are usually fast, creature-based decks. When you say your budget is $5, does that include the cards in the first post? I mean, have you already bought the cards in your original post?

All of the decks I have posted are made of cards I currently own.

When I say that my budget is $5, I refer to the economy of Magic Online, which is composed of "tickets", each of which costs $1 of real money. I currently possess 5 such tickets.  Most cards in the game are worth some fraction of a ticket, but a few are worth multiple tickets. Liliana of the Veil, for example, seems to be worth about 20 tickets, or $20 of in-game currency.
Oh alright. Do you know if there's a place where we can see the prices of MTGO cards?

Otherwise, Black Cat, Diregraf Ghoul, Skinrender and Geth's Verdict should be brilliant and affordable picks in standard.
Oh alright. Do you know if there's a place where we can see the prices of MTGO cards?

Otherwise, Black Cat, Diregraf Ghoul, Skinrender and Geth's Verdict should be brilliant and affordable picks in standard.

I found this one after a quick search: MTGOTraders.com

Prices seem to match what I saw on the ingame trading area.
ye thats the principe altho you'd need more 4-ofs.
master splicer
vital splicer  
strangleroot geist
 llanowar elves
 overrun  

are all cheap or cheapish and good. find some more good and cheap 2-3 cost drops and mby some removal/buffs and you have a deck. 
Grave Titan might help a little too.
Decks Used Slivers - Dragons - Artifacts - Elves Monsters - : Vampires - Knights - Infect
Grave Titan might help a little too.

Unfortunately, the Grave Titan is almost $10 per card.