Newbie questions

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I've ran the game twice. Some thoughts and questions . 

1. It seems this game is made 90% toward battle matte gaming and not role-playing esp with the skills.
2. I've only ran with the premade games. I cannot see doing a game made from scrach. Mostly because of the monsters. Let's say I want a Hooper that can fight toe to toe with a 10th level character. How do I do that?
3. Let's say a power or what have you says something like   wisdom modifer+character level vs. Will .
let's say the attacker has  wisdom of +3 and is 3rd level =+6 . And the other characer has a will of 15.
Is that 1d20+6 vs 1d20+15? or is the will the difficulty? say 1d20+ 6 and must be 15 or higher?? 

You are absolutely correct. The save against Will (15) is the number you are trying to beat. So...you must roll at least a 10 (and add 6 points worth of bonus modifiers to get 16)  on your d20 for your Will attack to succeed.

To roll for combat:

Roll a d20, add all modifiers and compare to the controlling attribute ( here it's Will but it could be AC just as well   

Hoops that are already defined in the rulebook as novices cannot really be tailored to fight toe-to-toe with a 10th level PC, but these rules can be broken within reason. What you could do would be to increase the XP level of the modified Hooper Skirmisher or leader and thus  increas critical hit benefits b. If you made your modified Hooper  a level 10 creature, you would gain the benefit of an uber feature or a successful Omega charge every turn . This is a good deal because your 10th level PC also has an uber feature but probably a different one than the creature he/she is fighting.

I think that you might also consider using a"more experienced" monster (say, a Robot Eradicator, Berserk Android or Menarl slime fang). I hope that some of this helps but I am a newbie, too.
2. I've only ran with the premade games. I cannot see doing a game made from scrach. Mostly because of the monsters. Let's say I want a Hooper that can fight toe to toe with a 10th level character. How do I do that?

Here's a link to a resource that I wrote up last year that might help you:

Mutant Building Made Easy: Creating New Monsters in D&D Gamma World

D&D Gamma World provides you with dozens of monsters to use in your games, both in the original boxed set and in Famine in Far-Go. However, it lacks rules on how to build your own custom monsters – rules that are located throughout several books in Gamma World’s sibling game, Dungeons and Dragons.

This document is designed to help you, a D&D Gamma World Game Master, create your own monsters from scratch and use them in your games. Options are also provided for random monster creation when appropriate, and some of the formulas used in monster creation are shown in gray boxes.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Thanks both of you! That pdf is awesome! 
I'm starting a campaign on the obsiden portal if you want to look.
 www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/gamma-w...
More questions 

So I roll the same origin twice. That means I'm a pure strain human as my main origin right? And I  guess it's assume (since it's not written) that you roll again for a secondary one. Right?

Alpha Mutations- I hate the resoning as to why they happen. Has anyone just make a character draw one when they reach the level that adds the cards and keep it permantly? Would that be too boring? 
How would you do it? put all alpha cards together and shuffle?

AND what does everyone put thier cards in? I've seen indiviual sleeves and an album which I think is best. What doe you use and where did you get it?

Thanks 
More questions 

So I roll the same origin twice. That means I'm a pure strain human as my main origin right? And I  guess it's assume (since it's not written) that you roll again for a secondary one. Right?

No. Lets say you rolled Hawkoid twice. Hawkoid would be your primary, and Engineered human would be your secondary.

Alpha Mutations- I hate the resoning as to why they happen. Has anyone just make a character draw one when they reach the level that adds the cards and keep it permantly? Would that be too boring? 
How would you do it? put all alpha cards together and shuffle?

The problem I see with keeping the same alpha powers is that some are supper powerful and others are super lame. If you give your players random permanent alpha mutations, then some players could be a lot more powerful then others. If you let them pick their own, then they are going to pick the very best ones, which will permanently throwing off the balance of your game. If you really hate why alphas act the way they do, either get rid of them altogether or change the reason why they act like they do.

Personally I love how alpha powers work. It can allow every player to do massive amounts of damage and not just the same one or two powerful players in the group. It can allow players to use different tactics and do crazy stuff that makes games memorable. And it can allow players to totally mess with the DM's best laid plans taking quests in new directions, and as a DM I love that kind of stuff.

AND what does everyone put thier cards in? I've seen indiviual sleeves and an album which I think is best. What doe you use and where did you get it?

Thanks 

Sleeves and a rubber band to keep them organized.

So if your secondary one is always human and human can never be primary, are you really a human? I thought primary means what you basicly are. 
For non humans, primary and secondary really only effect your Stats and your overcharge bonus. So a reanimated-hawkoid can look and act just like a hawkoid-reanimated, the only difference is the stats.

Engineered humans are different, if you read the description in the book they explain how it works. Basically, no matter what your primary is, you still look like a human, the powers and abilities from your primary are explained through technology or physical abilities. So a hawkoid-engineered human wouldn't have wings, but can fly because they have a jet- pack or anti-gravity belt that never breaks or can be lost. A Giant-EH would just be a really strong human.
For non humans, primary and secondary really only effect your Stats and your overcharge bonus. So a reanimated-hawkoid can look and act just like a hawkoid-reanimated, the only difference is the stats.

Engineered humans are different, if you read the description in the book they explain how it works. Basically, no matter what your primary is, you still look like a human, the powers and abilities from your primary are explained through technology or physical abilities. So a hawkoid-engineered human wouldn't have wings, but can fly because they have a jet- pack or anti-gravity belt that never breaks or can be lost. A Giant-EH would just be a really strong human.

I wouldn't be a slave to that, though. I'd have an engineered human be mostly human looking, but not necessarily completely. A hawkoid one might have angelic wings that were engineered onto it. Or might just fly through some kind of telekinesis superman like ability.

If I ran it, I would encourage people to play with the actual appearances of the origins. The combinations give a lot of variety, but that doesn't mean you can't tweak it a bit further.
Sign In to post comments