This again

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone else get the feeling that this set is going to be full of stupid, overcosted, or just bad rares (except for EDH, LOLZ) that will drag down the value, while they sneak in a few chase rares to stabilize it?

It feels like Rise of the Eldrazi all over again. 

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Rise of Eldrazi was awesome.
Rise of Eldrazi was awesome for limited.

Fixed.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

This is exactly the sort of environment I was hoping for.

I could really care less about competitive play, since it's all cookie cutter precon decks with no imagination or creativity anyway.

So big awesome creatures for the win.
As a multinational corporation, WOTC really can't afford to "blow their load" all at once. Every set will have a small percentage of playables for each format, and since that formula has worked since the beginning, why stop? I mean, when they made every card uber power a la Urza's block, that actually hurt their player base.

That being said, there are even some goodies for Eternal formats. Griselbrand for instance works great as both a two mana clunky Bargain1 or as a sick dredge-my-entire-library Dread Return target.

Footnotes:
1 - Let's be honest here: an unrestricted 2 mana version of Yawgmoth's Bargain with a clunkier activation cost is still disgusting.
Rise of the Eldrazi was awesome.
If you don't like it, it wasn't made for you.

Also, we have like one fifth of the set.
Seriously.

At least wait until the whole set is out before you start dismissing it as garbage.
If you don't like it, it wasn't made for you.

Also, we have like one fifth of the set.
Seriously.

At least wait until the whole set is out before you start dismissing it as garbage.

I said "anyone else get the feeling" spefically because I knew someone would reply with this. Doesn't look like it worked.

They like spoiling the good things, I'm sure there will be a lot of crap commons, uncommons, and rares that nobody will enjoy opening.

I'm happy to see powerful legendary creatures in each set, even if they are a little disgusting in AVR...
Rise of Eldrazi was awesome for limited.

Fixed.

but, see, there's this guy called emrakul, and in modern, there's this deck called tron

concerning AVR, it is true that there's been 3 8-mana mythics already, but most of the third sets of a block have that happen anyway so i wouldn't be too worried.  besides it's not like we haven't seen chase cards yet, and we're only a week into the spoiler
As a multinational corporation, WOTC really can't afford to "blow their load" all at once.

Giggity.

Rules Advisor

Rise of the Eldrazi was awesome...just not in limited.

Every limited game was won on the backs of either Drana or Dawnglare Invoker.
To some extent, this always happens. 

They're hardly going to pick generic-red-common-number-four as a preview card, are they? They'll pick the biggest, flashiest bombs to try and sell the set as being awesome. 
To some extent, this always happens. 

They're hardly going to pick generic-red-common-number-four as a preview card, are they? They'll pick the biggest, flashiest bombs to try and sell the set as being awesome. 

Well, Brimstone Volley and Lightning Bolt really were spoiled early.

But, yeah, there is stuff for Constructed already. Sure, it feels like ROE in a sense, but that set had everything but walls and mythic rares underpowered because they shifted the Limited environment that way.

This is not really the case for this set. And while many doubt soulbond and miracle as competitive mechanics, there's no reason there won't be a reasonable number of good cards just like in any other set.
I think it'll work out. Miracle is neat it is used conservatively, and soulbond can be good, I can see forcing tough decisions using it. For example, you can soulbond, say, a Titan to a silverblade paladin, unless your opponent is flooded with removal, they'll just have to chose which bullet to bite.
Totally agree with the OP, you're not the only one.

I liked the overall RoE theme enough to not be pissed about it being a big limited pile with few to offer outside the mythics, but it probably won't happen this time, especially if there is another offender like Vengevine.

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Standard play is a bit of an afterthought in most set designs and it isn't uncommon for WotC's "chase" cards in the FFL to be duds and visa versa, so I'm not entirely sure how to answer this. Simply, I don't think Sigarda is all it is being cracked up to be, but I still want a few, because it's neat. I don't think we can honestly measure how good or bad Killing Wave is going to be in standard, but damnit, I want a few copies just to have the black wrathing Browbeat.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
To anyone who is so easily disappointed by spoilers: You gotta play more limited.

Seriously, this Standard-centric thinking is sucking all the fun out of your game.
A lot of rise of eldrazi cards that people thought weren't good during spoiler season ended up getting played (eg a couple of the level up cards, the legendary eldrazi etc) and some of them that people thought were good during spoiler season saw no play like Realms Uncharted.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Anyone else get the feeling that this set is going to be full of stupid, overcosted, or just bad rares (except for EDH, LOLZ) that will drag down the value, while they sneak in a few chase rares to stabilize it?

wow negative nelly

no i am enjoying the spoilers so far. wondering how to abuse the green spoiled. the new mechanics are certainly interesting and it will be a bit of an adventure how they get used and abused

----------------------- I’m going to TRANSFORM him, and unleash the savage instincts that lie hidden within… . [

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/images/banners/Avenger.jpg)

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You know, it's pretty funny to have both this and threads about cards being too powerful at the same time, everytime a new set comes out.

So you say this based on what exactly?