04/13/2012 TWTW: "Big Time"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
White really needed help with making their tokens more powerful. Clearly Intangible Virtue wasn't cutting it. Blue and White are just dominating Innistrad, all three sets. From delver and invisible stalker to snapcaster mage and intangible virtue... then dark ascension brought lingering souls and drogskol captain. Now avacyn restored brings us temporal mastery and this, cathars' crusade. Sure it's going to come in later, turn 5, but when it comes in, it's going to hit hard.
This + Pentavus is absolutely hilarious. Still terrible, of course, but hilarious.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
This card could HURT white decks just as badly.  This just begs to be in a Zombie deck!!!  Add this to Army of the Damned (13 zombie tokens) or Zombie Apocolypse (put zombies from graveyard in play) both hit the "all at once" trigger.  So those 13 zombies hit the table at 15/15!!  Add the new little Planeswalker in there to pop them all back from coming in play tapped. There are plenty of turns to get him wound up while they think you are going to use him on THEIR creatures.... hmm.
With cards like these, they're going to need to make more non-rare mass removal to deal with the obsessive tokens. Time to bring back Aether Snap: gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details....
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Probably not good enough for competitive play. 5 mana for a card that doesn't do anything the turn it hits?

Fun for casual though. I like the idea of an old school breeding pit deck with this in it. Giant thrull crusade!
This + Pentavus is absolutely hilarious. Still terrible, of course, but hilarious.

Hells yeah.

It almost seems as if Wizards wants a token deck to be good...

Let's not forget that we'll get back to Ravnica next year, which had a strong token theme last time around, especially in Selesnya.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I wonder if I can play a Spider Spawning in this deck if I find a different Commander...

This should come as no surprise, but as nice as Sigarda looks, she doesn't do much for the token decks. However, there's a perfect candidate in the preconstructed commander decks: how about Ghave, Guru of Spores?

I'm having a blast with my recently updated Ghave commander deck, including a host of token-makers and counter-producers - this card is so making it in there.
Anyone else find it passing...ironic, I suppose, that the historical Cathar were genocided by a crusade and now these Cathar are going on a crusade of their own?

I want to play this just so I can make people roll their eyes by pointing that out every time I play it.
Yep.  Because token decks aren't too strong/prevalent right now.

Oh, lol for a 5 mana enchantment.  The only place I think this has relevance is in a token mirror matchup.  5 mana is a huge commitment for such a removable spell.  As mentioned before, it also has no relevance once it enters play.  Most people have all their tokens out before turn 5 anyways.  Plus intangible virtue.  Turn 5 should be game over if you are playing a deck that is interested in this kind of card.

Now, a fun casual deck using this might be something using Llanowar Elves, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Birds,  those mana bug Myrs, and other similar cards, to power this out turn 3.  With some reasonable card draw, say, from Mentor of the Meek, you could power out a ton of these little buggers fast.
Why was this given to BDM? This is the biggest Johnny card I think they've previewed yet. Not to say it won't be competitive, but shenanigans with Pentavus/Ghave, Guru of Spores and Persist and Doubling Season and a hojillion other combos are all about making Johnnys salivate.
I wonder if I can play a Spider Spawning in this deck if I find a different Commander...

This should come as no surprise, but as nice as Sigarda looks, she doesn't do much for the token decks. However, there's a perfect candidate in the preconstructed commander decks: how about Ghave, Guru of Spores?

I'm having a blast with my recently updated Ghave commander deck, including a host of token-makers and counter-producers - this card is so making it in there.

There are probably other options as well but the first Commander that came to my mind was (if he wants to stay white/green): Rhys the Redeemed
Anyone else find it passing...ironic, I suppose, that the historical Cathar were genocided by a crusade and now these Cathar are going on a crusade of their own?

I want to play this just so I can make people roll their eyes by pointing that out every time I play it.

Interesting (I did not know the real life origins of the cathars, thank you). And, yes, you should do this.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.