Angelicas and Celestial Objects

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So Goldnight stands for the Sun, Alabaster for the Moon, and Host of Herons for what exactly? And if Avacyn stands in for the moon, isn't it redundant to have Bruna as another lunar deity?

As a side note, I've taken to call stereotypical female angels "angelicas". It makes more sense than lumping them with the biblical multi-winged, multi-faced horrors. 
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
To be fair, the leaders of the flights aren't deities.
Avacyn is the deity, they are more like high priests dedicated to aspects of Avacyn.
And if you want to get technical, Herons are also attached to lunar significance.
I don't think the three flights are meant to each represent a separate celestial object. They do seem to line up conveniently with the three nonblack colors other than white, as their leaders' cards demonstrate. But I don't think there are meant to be any patterns in them other than that.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Well, there's certainly a seasonal pattern, since the Host of Herons is associated with the New Moon and the Goldnight with the Harvest Moon, leaving the Alabaster to the Hunter's Moon or whatever.

Maybe the Host of Herons and the Alabaster both represent the Moon? It would make sense, specially because and are 's allies, and Avacyn and most moon spells are both pure ...

That would leave the aligned Goldnight to represent the Sun, as dictated in the Innistrad guide.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Goldnight strikes me as an exception. Avacyn herself is associated with the moon, and so are all her followers, except for Flight Goldnight, which is associated with the sun.

But yeah, heron and moon symbology go hand in hand on Innistrad.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane