Miracle mechanic

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok quick question about the Miracle mechanic. Miracle says "you may cast this card for it's miracle cost when you draw it if its the first card you drew this turn". So my question is this, and I may be reading this wrong but, how would you know if its the first card your opponent has drawn. Who is to say they wont hold the card until another turn right after their draw phase and then play it for the Miracle cost?  Is Wizards adding a "honesty" aspect to the cards? Like I said I may be reading the card wrong and if so I apologize for my ignorance lol .
Your opponent has to reveal the card as he draws it in order to be able to use the Miracle ability. If he waits until it's with the other cards in his hand, it's too late, and no Miracle for him.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

OK that sounds better, but I gotta say, playing online I see myself getting screwed by miracles with guys holding the cards til they need them a few turns later as I cant see them add the card to their hands lol
If by online you mean MTGO, I'm sure it will not allow that.
MTG Rules Advisor
If by online you mean The Program Who's Name Shall Not Be Mentioned, there should be an "undo last draw" command. When you draw a miracle, you should be able to use that command and then reveal the top card of your library, making it clear that it truely was the card you just drew.
Yes I was speaking of the "program that shall not be named" or was I??? Anyway I never thought of that , should make things a little more "honest".
The Program is not supported by WotC, so how they impliment it should be interesting. In MTGO or live play the rules are quite clear and enforcable.
I have a question about miracle: Can the card only be played if it is still in your hand when the trigger resolves or can it be played from whereever it is (exemple graveyard if you drew it and discarded it with the same effect)?
I have a question about miracle: Can the card only be played if it is still in your hand when the trigger resolves or can it be played from whereever it is (exemple graveyard if you drew it and discarded it with the same effect)?

As you draw the card, you must reveal it if you want to cast it for the Miracle cost. That will put a trigger on the stack. When that trigger resolves (ordinarily in the draw step), you get an opportunity to cast the card if it's still in your hand. If you decline, you don't get another chance. If it's not in your hand, you can't cast it.

It has to still be in your hand. 
If I'm understanding it right,  the following could happen:

My opponent draws the top card during his Draw Step, looks at it, then reveals it as a Miracle card.  A trigger that would allow him to play it goes on the stack.  I respond to the trigger by somehow flashing in something to make him discard the Miracle card.  My spell resolves and he discards that card, thus preventing him from playing it. 

Is this correct?  I know I'm going to have some fights on my hands in my playgroup, so I want to be sure.
Yes, that's an accurate description.
All Generalizations are Bad
If I'm understanding it right,  the following could happen:

My opponent draws the top card during his Draw Step, looks at it, then reveals it as a Miracle card.  A trigger that would allow him to play it goes on the stack.  I respond to the trigger by somehow flashing in something to make him discard the Miracle card.  My spell resolves and he discards that card, thus preventing him from playing it. 

Is this correct?  I know I'm going to have some fights on my hands in my playgroup, so I want to be sure.

Yes, that's correct.

When the trigger resolves, the Miracle card is not on the player's hand, so it can't be played.

[<o>]
My understanding was that the act of revealing and casting were a single action and that the Miracle card never entered the player's hand, thus preventing someone from forcing you to discard it.  Because honestly, what good would Miracle be if you have it, and hope, just long enough for someone to take both from you?
My understanding was that the act of revealing and casting were a single action and that the Miracle card never entered the player's hand, thus preventing someone from forcing you to discard it.  Because honestly, what good would Miracle be if you have it, and hope, just long enough for someone to take both from you?

Nope, here are the rules for Miracle:
702.91. Miracle

702.91a Miracle is a static ability linked to a triggered ability (see rule 603.10). "Miracle [cost]" means "You may reveal this card from your hand as you draw it if it's the first card you've drawn this turn. When you reveal this card this way, you may cast it by paying [cost] rather than its mana cost."

702.91b If a player chooses to reveal a card using its miracle ability, he or she plays with that card revealed until that card leaves his or her hand, that ability resolves, or that ability otherwise leaves the stack.

The revealing part happens right away as you draw the card (note that you're revealing it from your hand, so clearly it makes it to your hand). This then causes the second part of the ability to trigger. That trigger follows the normal rules for triggered abilities, allowing each player a chance to respond before it resolves.
D'oh.  You're right.  That sucks.

So how does that interact with something like Desperate Ravings?

Do you cast the Miracle before or after the discard effect?
Do you cast it before or after the discard effect?

after, the trigger won't even go on the stack until after Ravings has finished resolving

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Do you cast it before or after the discard effect?

after, the trigger won't even go on the stack until after Ravings has finished resolving

So do you reveal it when you draw it or when you've finished resolving whatever ability allows you to draw? 
You have to reveal it as you draw it to even have a chance of casting it, but the random discard could still ruin your day.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

As you draw the card (before it reaches the rest of your hand), you look at it. If it's a miracle card, reveal it. Then draw your second card and discard a card at random. Then you put the miracle trigger on the stack. When that trigger resolves, if the Miracle card is still in your hand, you can cast it for its miracle cost. If you randomly discarded it, you won't be able to cast it, since it's no longer in your hand.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Fair enough.

Never thought a single card-drawing spell could provide such a rollercoaster ride of emotion.
Just checking, as I'm not sure I understand how priority works here.  If I draw Bonfire of the Damned (a sorcery with miracle of XR) I still have a chance to cast Battle Hymn (instant, add R to your mana pool for each creature you control) for some extra mana before I have to cast Bonfire for it's miracle, right?
Just checking, as I'm not sure I understand how priority works here.  If I draw Bonfire of the Damned (a sorcery with miracle of XR) I still have a chance to cast Battle Hymn (instant, add R to your mana pool for each creature you control) for some extra mana before I have to cast Bonfire for it's miracle, right?

Yes. Miracle is a triggered ability, and like all (non-mana) triggered abilities, it can be responded to.
Yes. Part of the Miracle is a triggered ability that uses the stack, while that ability is on the stack you can play insants and abilites.
MTG Rules Advisor
So it's going to be very fun sorting out Desperate Ravings if you already have a copy of the Miracle in your hand,  and you randomly discard one of them.  "No, that was the Temporal Mastery that I was already holding, not the one I drew!"  I'm definitely playing those cards together just for the arguments.
if you play correctly (by which i mean don't try to cheat) there should be no arguments
proud member of the 2011 community team
Hey, if you want to waste the entry fee just to troll other players and judges, more power to you. Enjoy the 0-for night  The store owner/event coordinator will thank you for the $$$

If you're going to do it casually... Congratulations.

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

if you play correctly (by which i mean don't try to cheat) there should be no arguments

This.

Hey, if you want to waste the entry fee just to troll other players and judges, more power to you. Enjoy the 0-for night  The store owner/event coordinator will thank you for the $$$

If you're going to do it casually... Congratulations.

This.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

So how would this work out exactly.

EOT on my opponents turn.  I cast desperate ravings and the first card is Temporal Mastery putting its trigger on the stack.  I resolve the ravings and randomly discard the Temporal Mastery.  With the trigger still on the stack I cast Snapcaster Mage.  Resolve the  Mage trigger targeting The mastery.  Now when the Tempoal Mastery trigger still on the stack try's to resolve can I cast the Mastery for its miracle cost?
no
proud member of the 2011 community team
No. An object that changes zones becomes an entirely new object.  The miracle ability allows you to cast the Temporal Mastery card object you draw and (kept) revealed.  That object no longer exists.  It doesn't let you draw cast the entirely new Temporal Mastery card object in your hand Graveyard now.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Blah.  The first of those was just typing the wrong word, but the second was me not thinking about what the cards do (I was thinking of something like Eternal Witness).  I've deleted my post for being entirely useless for the actual situation being asked about.  Sorry about the confusion.
Sign In to post comments