another myr welder question

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
if i myr welder a prototype portal can i pay x and tap the myr to make a copy of any card it exiled?

Magic the Drinking Game rules
here are the rules for MtDG: 1.at the beginning of each players turn that player takes a drink. 2.whenever a permanent you control is placed in a graveyard from play, drink. 3. whenever a spell you play is countered, drink. if the countered spells caster attempts to counter the counter, the loser of the counter battle must drink for a number of seconds for each counterspell that went on the stack. 4. whenever a player "loses life" that player must drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life lost. (a) if a player would gain life, that player may make another player drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life gained. 5. if a player puts a card from their library into their graveyard that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to the number of cards placed in graveyard. 6.if a player would discard a card that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to cards discarded. 7. on any coinflip the loser must drink. 8. at the end of each game all players must finish their drink. 9. loser must fetch all drinks/refills for the next game. if playing multiplayer use a**hole heirarchy(president,vp,secretary,treasurer,a**hole) 10. a player who wins 3 consecutive matches may add a "world effect" that affects all players and can not be removed without winning 3 consecutive matches and negating effect. multiple effects stack i.e if person wins 3 games then wins another 3 games both effects that player created stack. 11. ALL cards are legal, including ante cards.

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
1x emrakul, the aeons torn
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus
3x karn, liberated
1x kozilek, butcher of truth
2x mana confluence
2x oblivion stone
4x proteus staff
4x relic of progenitus
1x ulamog, the infinite gyre
4x urza's mine
4x urza's power plant
4x urza's tower
2x wurmcoil engine

[/deck]

No. The prototype portal's ability can only create copies of a card exiled by the prototype portal's triggered ability. The abilities are "linked."
All Generalizations are Bad
because it says "the exiled card" and not "a card exiled by ~" it doesn't work like that.

see below
proud member of the 2011 community team
if i myr welder a prototype portal can i pay x and tap the myr to make a copy of any card it exiled?

No.

Prototype portal's 2nd ability is linked to its first ability. It will only look for cards exiled by that first ability. If myr welder acquires that second ability, the ability on the myr is linked to... well, nothing. If the welder had also acquired the first ability, the two gained abilities would be linked to eachother, but since the welder only gains activated abilities, it will only have the second ability. 
so can the welder still make copys of the card prototype portal exiled before it went to a graveyard?

here are the rules for MtDG: 1.at the beginning of each players turn that player takes a drink. 2.whenever a permanent you control is placed in a graveyard from play, drink. 3. whenever a spell you play is countered, drink. if the countered spells caster attempts to counter the counter, the loser of the counter battle must drink for a number of seconds for each counterspell that went on the stack. 4. whenever a player "loses life" that player must drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life lost. (a) if a player would gain life, that player may make another player drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life gained. 5. if a player puts a card from their library into their graveyard that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to the number of cards placed in graveyard. 6.if a player would discard a card that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to cards discarded. 7. on any coinflip the loser must drink. 8. at the end of each game all players must finish their drink. 9. loser must fetch all drinks/refills for the next game. if playing multiplayer use a**hole heirarchy(president,vp,secretary,treasurer,a**hole) 10. a player who wins 3 consecutive matches may add a "world effect" that affects all players and can not be removed without winning 3 consecutive matches and negating effect. multiple effects stack i.e if person wins 3 games then wins another 3 games both effects that player created stack. 11. ALL cards are legal, including ante cards.

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus
3x karn, liberated
2x mana confluence
2x oblivion stone
4x proteus staff
4x relic of progenitus
4x urza's mine
4x urza's power plant
4x urza's tower
2x wurmcoil engine

[/deck]

no, when an object changes zones (in this case twice, from the battlefield to the graveyard and then to the exile zone) it forgets everything it was before, so it also forgets that it exiled a card before.
k, thanks

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus
3x karn, liberated
2x mana confluence
2x oblivion stone
4x proteus staff
4x relic of progenitus
4x urza's mine
4x urza's power plant
4x urza's tower
2x wurmcoil engine

[/deck]

because it says "the exiled card" and not "a card exiled by ~" it doesn't work like that.

Can you provide confirmation?

(As far as I know, all cards using any of those templates work the same)

When someone has an imaginary friend, we call it mental sickness. When a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend, we call it a religion.

No, muse vessel's abilities are also linked. See the gatherer ruling.

Edit: those are all linked. They work the same way as the welder.

607.2a If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to “the exiled cards” or to cards “exiled with [this object],” these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.

All Generalizations are Bad
you are right
but the others (that I edited in while you were responding ;)) don't have that ruling, are they still linked?
Yes.  They all have linked abilities.

607.2a. If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to "the exiled cards" or to cards "exiled with [this object]," these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.
ok, my bad then
Sign In to post comments