[Contest] Yameticou

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to Yameticou, a different kind of plane. You see in Yameticou, the color pie isn't quite the same as in most planes. Most notably, several blue abilities are more freely shared with other colors. Blue still retains those abilities and is much less conditional about them than other colors, but it is typically more limited than most planes:

Drawing: Drawing is equally common among all colors. However, blue is the only color that has draw spells with no other condition within the spell.

Sifting: Sifting is more common for all colors, particulary for that colors basic lands and other cards typical of that color.

Counterspells: Blue is the only color that can counter any type of spell, but in Yameticou, blue does not have any hard counterspells (Mana Leak is ok. Cancel is not) Other colors may have hard counterspells for specific spell types.

For its seeming disadvantages, blue permanents are somewhat more robust than on other planes and blue has several new keywords for its permanents.

This contest will be 5 rounds. Each round will be worth 5 points except the final round which is worth 10.

Round 1: Create a midsize blue creature with a new keyword that fits blue's "personality"
This round will end at the end of the day tomorrow (Friday)
Reserved.
Gulper Bass 
Creature - Fish (U)
Shoal (: Untap another target permanent with shoal.)
, : Tap target land. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
During spawning season, their massive eggs choke rivers and leave entire deltas barren.
3/3

Shoal would mostly be seen on things with activated abilities, of course. With multiple shoal creatures it lets them all share each others' tap abilities.
Yamzt Sea Scholar     (c)
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
: Cogitate 2, then put a card from your hand at the bottom of your library.
1/3

Cogitate reads: Look at the top x cards of your library, then put one in your hand and the rest at the bottom of your library
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn

Waterfall Serpent 
Creature - Serpent
Vigilence
Aquaform 2 (When this creature blocks or becomes blocked, it becomes a land until your next upkeep and has ": Add to your mana pool.")
4/4
"Chasing that sea-beast will leave you dashed upon the rocks below.  Best we go around." -Found expedition notes.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Bluff Wasp [manacost]2UU[/manacost]
Creature - Insect
Flying
Adapt (When an opponent plays a card that shares a name with a card in that players graveyard, this creature gains protection from that card until end of turn.)
"The first wave fell, but my hope crumbled as I watched their carapaces thicken under our hail of arrows." - Turi, Ocean Explorer
3/2

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Shallow Serpent 
Creature- Serpent 

Tidal (As you cast this spell you may pay it's Tidal cost. If you do reveal the top 3 cards from your library and choose an instant or sorcery card from among them and you may cast it without paying it's mana cost. Discard all cards revealed this way.)

Islandwalk

"Every creature makes a big splash, it just depends on how big of a splash." - Jace
3/5

Thrashing Lindwurm -
Creature - Dragon
Surface - (While you're searching your library, you may play ~ from your library by paying it's Surface cost.)
Islandwalk
When ~ comes into play, if you played it from your hand, target land becomes an Island in addition to it's other types.
Oh, sure it can't fly, but none can catch one on open water.
4/4

Eh
Wind Rake
Creature - Elemental Oracle
Flying, foresee (When ~ enters the battlefield, scry X where X is the number of oracle permanents you control.)
The answers is always in the wind.

2/2

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Enigma Drake

Creature – Drake (C)
2/2

Flying
Whenever Enigma Drake attacks, you may riddle defending player. If you do and you succeed, Enigma Drake gets +2/+2 until end of turn. (To riddle a player, look at the top card of your library and name any card, then that player guesses whether the named card is on top of your library. Then you reveal the top card of your library, and you succeed if that player guessed wrong.)

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Wow, we got eight people in pretty quick.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Screeching Drake 
Creature - Drake
Flying, Shriek (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and players in the form of cards put from the top of their library into their graveyard)
Whenever Screeching Drake attacks, you may look at the top three cards of the defending player's library.  You may then have that player shuffle their library. 
3/2
Round closed! Grades within the day.
any next round or grading?
I'm pretty sure I saw him posting somewhere else this morning.  Maybe he forgot about us....

Sorry, busy weekend and I'm at work now (hard to do a lot of the forum functions on my phone). Grades and 2nd round tonight.
Grades! I'm grading on 3 basic things:

1) In Yameticou, Blue creatures are a little beefier for the cost, usually a point of power and/or toughness over what you're used to seeing, will bring Blue creatures up to Yameticou standards.
2) Sifting, drawing, and counterspells have leaked to other colors. While those things still fit in Blue's color pie, they are no longer uniquely Blue. Blue's other abilities are still great to work with as is anything that seems to fit the Blue philosophy.
3) Is it interesting?

Steinhauser: A 3/3 for 4 mana is the slightly bigger creature size I'm looking for. Shoal fits nicely with Blue's tap/untap theme. It's also very interesting. Allowing this to untap multiple times feels like a great way to lock down your opponents the way that blue would like to. Doing so at instant speed, instead of sorcery speed, seems pretty powerful if shoal was a widespread ability. This could easily end up being rare if that was the case. but I'm not going to hold it against you.

5 of 5
Sebanovich: This creature is a very typical 1/3 for 3 mana, which is a little too small for Yameticou. This kind of sifting is very typical and even a little boring. In the end, it feels too much like draw 2, discard 2, even though you're "discarding" to a much safer zone.
2 of 5

AzureShade: A 4/4 for 5 mana is a good creature size. Mana ramp in blue? I have always felt that mana ramp could be spread around a little (like card drawing, sifting, or counterspells). Tapping for 2 mana on a 5 mana creature seems about right. The fact that it does so attacking would be counterintuitive if not for vigilance. I'm not sure if linking combat to mana production is the right way to go, but I do think it’s within Blue's philosophy to keep the other player from attacking if they think you might cast because of it. Also, while the "2" seems like its linked to the amount of mana produced, the card doesn't specifically say so.
4 of 5

Dudibus: The creature is pretty average for the mana cost, which I don't love. Adapt seems VERY blue, but I have 2 problems with it: 1) While it's an interesting twist on Hexproof, blue already has Hexproof. 2) It uses another ability word (protection) in the ability. This would be a wall of text on a vanilla. I think a small tweak like "cannot be affected by that card" would be better. Then it could ignore something crazy like a Day of Judgement, as long as there was already one played or milled.
4/5

Dragondance: A 3/5 for 4 mana is actually a little large, but with a lower power, that's fine. Sifting like this is blue, blind casting feels more red. Also, this kicker feels a little small for no-cost casting.
3 of 5

Harlie: Another 4/4 for 5 mana, yay! I like how this stacks up nicely with deck searching, which feels pretty blue itself (I think "search" is actually spread out pretty well, but it still FEELS blue). It definately could become part of the blue color pie. And your paticular submission is mana restrictive enough to keep you from just splashing blue to use it, which I also like. Overall, I think this was my favorite submission.
5 of 5

theatog: A 2/2 flier for 3 is actually a mana cheaper than normal for blue, which is great. Forsee is definately blue, but its a little bland. Also, I don't love how it references another mechanic within it. If I don't already know what scry is, this gets a big reminder text.
3 of 5

****eeyong: A 2/2 flier for 4 mana is SO overdone in blue, which is my only real complaint. You did allow it to get bigger with the Riddle ability. It took a while, but this definately grew on me. At first it felt like a coin flip, but then I came to the realization that it feels like small mental battle with your opponent. I do kinda wish you could choose to lose and not reveal the card if you didn't want to. Definately blue, definately unique, very likable.
4 of 5

Cold_Articuno: A 3/2 Flier for 4 is still pretty average for blue, but at least you have the advantage of not just being french vanilla for that cost. Milling is definately blue, and whither isn't not blue. I feel like this creature should have 4 power (possibly even 5) considering how bad it is to block, and yet how un-punishing it is to let it go through. Overall, I like it except for the attacking power.
4 of 5

Yameticou round 2!

Choose and create one of the following:
-A counterspell outside of blue
-A white or red draw or sifting spell

The card still needs to fit its color's philosophy, so it should be understandable why its doing what it does.
Timely Scrying
Instant
Draw 2 Cards.
~ Costs less to cast if you have been Dealt Combat Damage this turn.
Quick, lets look for a stabilizing piece!!

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Standoff - [manacost]2W[/manacost]
Enchantment
At the end of each combat phase, draw a card for each creature you control that was dealt combat damage but didn't die.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:

Consult the Flames 
Sorcery
Destroy target artifact or land.  Scry 2.  (To scry 2, look at the top two cards of your library, then put any number of them on the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
"As long as the fuel is precious to someone, you'll see what needs be seen." -Oracle Jamut, to the Dread Pirate Ramirez

Writings on the Wall
Enchantment
Flash
, Pay 5 life: Counter target spell.
Beastform
Instant
Counter target noncreature spell. If that spell is countered this way, its controller puts a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.
Backblast

Instant (R)

Counter target spell with converted mana cost X or less. If X is greater than that spell's converted mana cost, Backblast deals damage to that spell's controller equal to the difference.

"My spell is bigger than your spell."
–Jaya Ballard, task mage

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Xenophobic Denial 
Instant
Counter target non-black creature spell

but I'll actually go with this one below:

Decrease Capacity
Instant
Counter target creature spell unless its controller sacrifices a creature.
worship the horn
You're right - looking back, I would restrict my first submission's ability to sorcery speed.

Brute's Rebuttal
Instant (C)
As an additional cost to cast ~, tap an untapped creature you control.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays , where X is the tapped creature's power.
"I know, I know - mind over matter. In my defense, a charging bull elephant is a heckload of matter." - Kulroin, apprentice shaman

...At least, I hope there are elephants on Yameticou.
Damned Soul
Creature- Spirit
Flash, Flying
Drain Pay X Life (When you cast this card from your hand you may pay X life. If you do Counter Target Spell with Converted Mana Cost X and reduce this cards Mana Cost by X where X is the amount of Life Paid.) 

3/2 
Beastform
Instant
Counter target noncreature spell. If that spell is countered this way, its controller puts a 3/3 green Beast creature token onto the battlefield.

I can't tell if I like his or hate it.  I want to use it on myself to net a 3/3 beast on turn one with a countered Pact spell......

This round closes at midnight MST.
Are folks that weren't in the previous round allowed in?
Feel free to join anytime
Blindsighted Fury
Instant
Target spell loses all types and text and becomes a sorcery spell with "This deals 5 damage to each of your opponent."

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Drag to the Pit
Enchantment
Flash
When Drag to the Pit enters the battlefield, exile target creature spell (it leaves the stack and doesn't resolve). When Drag to the Pit leaves the battlefield, put that creature onto the battlefield under its owner's control.

Diverting a summoning...TO HELL
Bump

Round closed. Grades to come.
Grades! Sorry these are taking so long. I've been taking care of a friend that just had some pretty serious surgery and it has taken a fair amount of my free time.

Grades: If you made a counterspell, it should have been restricted to countering certain types.
If it was a draw spell, it should have done something besides just "draw _ cards".

Zokorad: At heart, this is an vanilla draw spell, it just has a trap cost. If it only worked after you took damage, it would be fine. I really like the flavor of everyone scrambling to find a way to defend themselves from attack.
4 of 5

Dudibus: I like this. Its conditional, It can be really good in a weenie deck. I do feel like it working EVERY combat phase (instead of just on your/their turn or something) is probably a bit much as your opponents won't want to block or attack.
4 of 5

AzureShade: This is a natural evolution of a red staple. Its solid, a little boring, but it does make this kind of card WAY more playable.
5 of 5

SimonGlume: A hard counterspell for 1BB and 5 life? I actually don't have a problem with this as a one-shot. I do have an issue with being able to play it first turn, and then countering the next 3 spells they cast. Sure, it brings you down to 5 life, but in all likelihood, you've just bought 3 turns. I like where you were going, but this just ends up being way too dominant.
2 of 5

EyeballFrog: The cost makes me slightly nervous, and I think this is still a good spell at 1G. This definitely is in-color for Green.
4 of 5

****eeyong: At first I wasn't sure, but almost all similar spells give you something beyond the counterspell. I like that this basically asks you to overdo it in true red fashion. The only problem is it is an non-type-specific hard counterspell, and those don't exist in Yameticou.
4 of 5

Sebanovich: This card made me nervous. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. Its specific, conditional, and very black.
5 of 5

Steinhauser: I don't like that this card is nonspecific in what it can counter. I do like that is based on creature power. If it had been even slightly restricted to what kinds of spells it could counter, it would've been perfect.
4 of 5

Dragondance: I like counterspell on a stick. I like that you can't just bomb this out first turn by paying 5 life. I don't like that its a hard counter and that its nonspecific in what it can counter.
3/5

theatog: It turns any spell into a multiplayer Lava Axe!? It can be used on your own spells? Its a counterspell in drag? I love it! My only beef is that it turns the spell into a sorcery instead of an instant which seems weird if you were casting it on one of their instants during your turn. I'm not sure that the stack cares once it's already there, so I'm not going to hold it against you, but it does make me scratch my head a little.
5 of 5

Jessica_Morgan: This isn't really a counterspell, its Journey to Nowhere in black. But its more expensive and restricted on when you can cast it. I like the flavor, but it feels like sending someone to hell should have bigger consequences.
2 of 5

Round 3!

In Yameticou, mana ramp/fixing is more common in all colors. Make a non-green, non-artifact card that helps a player to increase/fix their mana supply. It still needs to fit the color identity. No rituals. No colorless mana devoted to artifacts.
The Tyranny of Phyrexia - [manacost]2BB[/manacost]
Artifact
Players must pay the colorless cost of spells with life instead of mana.

EDIT: on second thought Im not sure that card fits the criteria...if it doesn't, please use this one, or disqualify me, whatever is fair:
Show

Suffer the Innocent - [manacost]4BB[/manacost]
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures.  Add X black mana to your mana pool where X is equal to the combined converted mana cost of all creatures destroyed in this way.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
would make it compare rather unfavorably to Negate.  And besides, cost adjusting is the job of Development, not Design.

Tectonic Manipulation
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a Mountain.
Look at the top five cards of your library.  You may put any number of basic lands from among them onto the battlefield.  Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Green searches for exactly the lands it wants.  Red takes the risk and takes what it can get.
Gemflower Field
Land
Gemflower Field enters the battlefield tapped with a charge counter for each card in your hand.
:  Add to your mana pool.
, Remove a charge counter from Gemflower Field: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
"The ladies will be liking these pretties, boys.  Load up before we shove off!" - Dread Pirate Ramirez

Unravelling Expeditor
Creature - Human Wizard
Spells you control cost less to play.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on Unravelling Expeditor.
"The good news is that one of my students found a way to channel mana more efficiently. The bad news is that what's left of him is in that bucket over there."
0/3
Profit Sharings 
Enchantment
At the beginning of your main phase, if a player controls more lands than you, add white mana equal to the difference.
No exploitation. No poverty. No distinction

ala Oath of Lieges
worship the horn
I was ALMOST going to restrict it to countering noncreature spells. Almost. But I felt tapping one of your creatures, and having to leave it back to counter anything, was a big enough extra cost to offset the power.

Caravan Camel
Creature - Camel (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your library for up to two basic land cards, reveal them, then shuffle your library and put those cards on top of it in any order.
Drome-dare and bactri-again.
1/2