Need help with stats for a custom monster

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm busy creating a custom monster for a custom campaign that's in the works for my group of noobs (myself included). He was supposed to be a Duergar Invoker/Shaman, but then i discovered that it's ill-advised to make a PC as a monster. He's supposed to be the big bad of the campaign, the climactic finale to our first adventure. I'm making at lvl 5 right now, but i don't know if it's OP or not. He's going against a group of five. The group consists of a Monk, Ranger, Assassin, Wizard, and a Paladin. He believes he's the embodiment of Asmodeus, if this helps. Here's what i have.

Asmodeus, Level 5 Solo Artillery. Medium Natural Humanoid. XP:1,000

Ability Scores:
STR: 8 (+1)
DEX: 12 (+3)
WIS: 20 (+7)
CON: 20 (+7)
INT: 12 (+3)
CHA: 6 (+0)

Trained Skills:
Arcana: +8
History: +8
Intimidate: +5
Religion: +8

HP & Defenses.
Initiative: +3
Senses: Perception +7
HP: 231, Bloodied: 115
AC: 17, FORTITUDE: 17, REFLEX: 16 WILL: 17
Saving Throws: +5
Speed: 6
Action Points: 2

Powers:
Ranged Basic: None yet. Still thinking about it
Aura of Command: Targets within 2 squares take a -5 penalty to Will
Tyrannical Fury: (Standard, Recharge 5)
     Range: Melee Touch
     Hit: +10 Vs. Will
     Effect: Slide target 2 squares at the end of every target's turn. Target must make a saving throw with a DC of 15 to make a move action. Save ends both effects.
Wrath of Asmodeus: (Standard, Daily)
     Range: Close Burst 5
     Hit: +10 Vs. Reflex
     Damage: 1d12+4 Fire, and 1d12+4 Ice damage.
     Sustain Minor

This is what i have so far. Let me know if it's too powerful, too weak, what have you.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

No one has any advice?

If your PCs are level 5 I would suggest making him a higher level to give them a challenge.  Will this be a true solo fight or will he have some help? Here are some quick thoughts:  

1) The Aura is too strong.  I would suggest a -2 instead of -5 (that coupled with the higher level will get the frequence of hits that you want).

2)The hit points are not by the book, but they are not far off.
He should probably have a melee basic as well.  He will not always be at a distance.

3) He should have a method dealing with dazes, stuns,etc. - especially if he is truely solo

4) He needs some off turn actions; tigger actions, instinctive actions (see MV dragons).  The combat will be pretty static if he doesn't this and issue 3 covered.

5) Tyrannical Fury is a little odd (acts on every PCs turn?), but regardless it should do damage as well.

6) Wrath of Asmodeus is a sustain minor.  Does it make a zone then?

In general it seems a little underpowered, but that is hard to tell without knowing your PC's level.               
If your PCs are level 5 I would suggest making him a higher level to give them a challenge.  Will this be a true solo fight or will he have some help? Here are some quick thoughts:  

1) The Aura is too strong.  I would suggest a -2 instead of -5 (that coupled with the higher level will get the frequence of hits that you want).

2)The hit points are not by the book, but they are not far off.
He should probably have a melee basic as well.  He will not always be at a distance.

3) He should have a method dealing with dazes, stuns,etc. - especially if he is truely solo

4) He needs some off turn actions; tigger actions, instinctive actions (see MV dragons).  The combat will be pretty static if he doesn't this and issue 3 covered.

5) Tyrannical Fury is a little odd (acts on every PCs turn?), but regardless it should do damage as well.

6) Wrath of Asmodeus is a sustain minor.  Does it make a zone then?

In general it seems a little underpowered, but that is hard to tell without knowing your PC's level.               

Thanks for the feedback. I'm HOPING that we'll be level five by the time he comes in to play. I'll do some tweaking right now. I'm nowhere near done with him right now 

Also, Tyrannical Fury mentions making a saving throw against DC 15.

Is this a house rule of yours? Saving throws in 4E don't have DCs normally. If you roll 10 or above & you save.

The DMG2 has alot of advice that would help you alot. Check out p 133.
You can also check out p 184 of the DMG.

But, perhaps the quickest way to do this would be to use the Adventure Tools at
www.wizards.com/dnd/launch.aspx?x=dnd/dn...
Sign In to post comments