Whenever WOTC gets around to keywording mill...

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would you be angry if they chose some word other than "Mill" for the keyword?

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

I would be angry if they did choose "mill."

"Forget" all the way, baby!
It's clearly an action, like "Scry", so I'm for Forget

Memory Sluice
:ubm:
Sorcery
Target player Forgets 4
Conspire

Yeah, sounds good.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I prefer "forgets 4 cards."  But that works too.
I think its probably better for everyone's sanity that they just leave it as it is.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

It's clearly an action, like "Scry", so I'm for Forget

Scry is an interesting case.  Originally, it was a keyword ability, but it was then changed to a keyword action without getting a new template (aside from a period).  I think this was a mistake.  While keywords can have a numerical parameter (as seen on graft, suspend, etc.), it doesn't make sense for actions.  Right now, you're told to "scry 2".  I think it would make much more sense if you were told to "scry two cards".

I'd be in favor of the same treatment for milling.  Memory Sluice would say "Target player [verb]s four cards."  I don't really have a strong opinion for which verb they should use.  "Mill" has the advantage of already being the accepted colloquial term, but I think that would quickly change if any official term was introduced.

If they used anything other than "Mill", they'd be fighting the players.

The phrase 'mill' is so ubiquitous in the language of players that it would be nonsensical to go against their expectation, even if there are words that are "better" in terms of grammar or flavour.
I would be disappointed, but not particularly surprised, and certainly not angry. They've said multiple times that they don't want to use 'mill', and they have perfectly understandable reasons for that, even if I happen to disagree with those reasons.

But as adeyke said, it needs to be an action of the form, "{Player} {verb}s {number of} cards"--if they didn't use that templating, that's what I'd get irritated about. I still wouldn't really be outright angry, but irritated? Hell yes.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The phrase 'mill' is so ubiquitous in the language of players that it would be nonsensical to go against their expectation, even if there are words that are "better" in terms of grammar or flavour.

I'm really not convinced that would be a major problem.  There would almost certainly be some initial backlash ("Not naming it 'mill' will ruin Magic forever, so I quit!"), but that happens with everything.  I think once the new card starts appearing on cards and in articles, it'll also get adopted by the playerbase.  I think M10's "battlefield" and "exile" show that such terminology change can work.

"M:tG player's thoughts on Mill keyword"

"No, no! Don't mill me! Mil is already in my name."

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

I always liked the flavorword "Flay"  (like a Mindflayer, stealing your sanity), and I could do with the lingo being screwed around with some, since Mill has become more of a TCG term than a Magic term thanks to Millstone.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Hexproof was fighting the players the same way.  We all called it foe-shroud or worse, Troll-shroud.

Off-card tradition is not enough of a pull to do something that makes ZERO sense.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

The eventual keywording of mill will provide nothing more than an excuse to make some popcorn and watch the various magic message boards all go apoplectic.
Hexproof was fighting the players the same way.  We all called it foe-shroud or worse, Troll-shroud.

Off-card tradition is not enough of a pull to do something that makes ZERO sense.

True, but I think there's a significant difference in degree between the two situations; despite its unnatural origins, mill makes significantly more sense as a term than trollshroud ever did.

The eventual keywording of mill will provide nothing more than an excuse to make some popcorn and watch the various magic message boards all go apoplectic.

Sounds like a terrific reason to me.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

True, but I think there's a significant difference in degree between the two situations; despite its unnatural origins, mill makes significantly more sense as a term than trollshroud ever did.

Does it?  The card Millstone has "nebulous flavor" issues in the first place.  I sort of get, between printings, that the sound of the grinding is supposed to drive someone slowly insane, but by keywording as "mill" you're losing that angle.  Now, for some reason, the act of grinding grains into flour causes mages to lose their spellcraft.  What?

While veterans may have standardized on "mill" and new players learn it from them soon enough, wizards hasn't even reprinted Millstone since 10th edition!  The word is an artifact with bygone rigions that would serve only to confuse newer players when it appears on cards rather than being picked up slang vocabulary.  This isn't like "target" where you need to know the vocab to play the game, this is player mass culture.

this debate is probably why the mill effect has not been keyworded yet, despite beign a great place where you could gain word economy.

Does it?  The card Millstone has "nebulous flavor" issues in the first place.  I sort of get, between printings, that the sound of the grinding is supposed to drive someone slowly insane, but by keywording as "mill" you're losing that angle.  Now, for some reason, the act of grinding grains into flour causes mages to lose their spellcraft.  What?

You're looking at it from an in-universe perspective, a la "intimidate" or "flying". And I agree that from that perspective, mill is a completely meaningless term.

But I'm looking at it from an abstract, out-of universe perspective, a la "hand" or "discard". And from that perspective, it looks a lot better. Milling something involves gradually breaking down that thing into smaller and smaller pieces--wearing it away. Apply that to your library--you're breaking it down gradually by removing cards from it one by one until there's nothing left.

Then you get someone like me that will play the card with new keyword and still verbally say mill x cards.

Magic the Drinking Game rules
here are the rules for MtDG: 1.at the beginning of each players turn that player takes a drink. 2.whenever a permanent you control is placed in a graveyard from play, drink. 3. whenever a spell you play is countered, drink. if the countered spells caster attempts to counter the counter, the loser of the counter battle must drink for a number of seconds for each counterspell that went on the stack. 4. whenever a player "loses life" that player must drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life lost. (a) if a player would gain life, that player may make another player drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life gained. 5. if a player puts a card from their library into their graveyard that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to the number of cards placed in graveyard. 6.if a player would discard a card that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to cards discarded. 7. on any coinflip the loser must drink. 8. at the end of each game all players must finish their drink. 9. loser must fetch all drinks/refills for the next game. if playing multiplayer use a**hole heirarchy(president,vp,secretary,treasurer,a**hole) 10. a player who wins 3 consecutive matches may add a "world effect" that affects all players and can not be removed without winning 3 consecutive matches and negating effect. multiple effects stack i.e if person wins 3 games then wins another 3 games both effects that player created stack. 11. ALL cards are legal, including ante cards.

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
1x emrakul, the aeons torn
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus
3x karn, liberated
1x kozilek, butcher of truth
2x mana confluence
2x oblivion stone
4x proteus staff
4x relic of progenitus
1x ulamog, the infinite gyre
4x urza's mine
4x urza's power plant
4x urza's tower
2x wurmcoil engine

[/deck]

Mill still has my vote. If they changed it to something silly I'd probably get mad for a week and then not care.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
It could become something like "Grind" or "Rasp" but probably not "Scratch" insted of mill

"M:tG player's thoughts on Mill keyword"

"No, no! Don't mill me! Mil is already in my name."

Despite his little age, Milhouse is a wise sage. (Let's see if anyone gets that.)

I'm kind of partial to "forget", though it's not easily grokkable (since "forget" could also mean discarding cards). The difficulty is that milling itself isn't exactly grokkable as separate from discarding, flavor-wise.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I would like a keyword for wording aesthetics sake, but mill has no flavour. Here's a few suggestions off the top of my head (and thesaurus): nullify, omit, nix, dwindle. It's hard to pick words that aren't already associated with a counterspell. I, for one, like dwindle.

While were at it I would also like a keyword for: "Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it." aka slithing. Frenzy maybe?
I would like a keyword for wording aesthetics sake, but mill has no flavour. Here's a few suggestions off the top of my head (and thesaurus): nullify, omit, nix, dwindle. It's hard to pick words that aren't already associated with a counterspell. I, for one, like dwindle.

While were at it I would also like a keyword for: "Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it." aka slithing. Frenzy maybe?

Frenzy is taken, Frenzy Sliver
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
using any word other than "mill" would be dumb because that's by far the most popular slang term
using "mill" would be dumb because it makes no sense if you haven't heard of Millstone, a card that hasn't been reprinted since 2007
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Mill, because that terms is even used in other CCGs. yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mill_Deck

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

I prefer "erase," myself; but not matter the word choice, I would keep the syntax "erase three cards from your library," for at least a Core set or two.
using any word other than "mill" would be dumb because that's by far the most popular slang term
using "mill" would be dumb because it makes no sense if you haven't heard of Millstone, a card that hasn't been reprinted since 2007

My thoughts exactly. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read a Wizards article where the author stated pretty much what you just said. New players wouldn't understand the term "mill" because it's rather unintuitive, and existing players would likely get butthurt about any other term because "mill" is ingrained in them.

I kind of like the flavor of some of the suggestions in this thread like "forget" and "erase", but the problem with them is that, intuitively, they could also be taken to mean discard or even exile. It would be hard to keyword "mill", even without the current dilemma of unintuitive but established v. intuitive but alienating.
Mill, because that terms is even used in other CCGs. yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mill_Deck

True. I don't think of keywording mill, though. The basic "top to graveyard" method is very simple, but some cards send them to exile, and some actually search for cards and send them to exile. They occupy different areas in design space, too.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
If it says to exile or anything different, then it would say exactly that.  Just like how nothing says "fight" except the things that exactly fight.  The same for "die."

"Forget(s) X cards" would be proxied from "Put(s) the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard".  Nothing else would be changed.
"Forget(s) X cards" would be proxied from "Put(s) the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard".  Nothing else would be changed.

...and then someone will complain "Forget doesn't forget!"

It could become something like "Grind" or "Rasp" but probably not "Scratch" insted of mill

I'd like to see Grind used as well. Just means that there will be someone out there that will read this and say "That really grinds my gears!!!"
4/17/12 - Started Magic the Gathering: Online <--mtalhead...for LIFE!!! \m/
I don't think they could ever come up with a flavorful keyword for milling that jived with all the different ways it's been used. Destroying your books, scaring you, grinding up grain, mining, crabs, squawking, installing a sunlight in your study.

I vote that it stays as it is.
I don't think they could ever come up with a flavorful keyword for milling that jived with all the different ways it's been used.

I agree; that's part of the reason I think a more abstract game-rules term would work.

If it says to exile or anything different, then it would say exactly that.  Just like how nothing says "fight" except the things that exactly fight.  The same for "die."

I can't really tell who you're addressing here, but if it's me I think you misunderstood. I meant a new player's intuition might be just as likely to interpret "Forget" as telling them to discard or something as it would be telling them to mill. I know when I first started playing, looking at some old cards was weird because I was familiar with, for example, what "destroy" meant but not "bury". I thought maybe it was the same thing or at least something similar, but I didn't really have an idea of what might be different about it, so I basically treated them the same. Even a moderately intuitive word (for the experienced player) like Forget would probably leave a new player in the dark, and I'm sure plenty wouldn't even be familiar with the concept of putting cards from the top of your library into your graveyard.

My point is that obviously a milling keyword would simply put cards from the topdeck to the yard, but it would be extremely difficult to make a keyword that was intuitive to new players, like destroy, discard, exile, draw, ect.; it would likely get confused with some other form of "losing cards" like discarding, like in my destroy v. bury example.
If they named it "forget" and used it as a may ability, you could get some "hilarious" Who's On First? type scenarios.

"I forgot to forget!" 
"Wait, did you forget?"
"No, I forgot!"

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

My guess is they're looking for a word that can apply to physical card manipulation like 'draw' or 'discard', instead of a flavorful term like destroy.  The best I've come up with is "Target player disposes of two cards."
My guess is they're looking for a word that can apply to physical card manipulation like 'draw' or 'discard', instead of a flavorful term like destroy.  The best I've come up with is "Target player disposes of two cards."

The problem is, you're putting cards into your graveyard, which also happens when you discard, among other things. Telling someone to do some keyword action with X cards that implies "losing" them will almost always sound like discard. Wording a milling action without the phrase "from the top of your library" seems nigh impossible to accomplish in an intuitive fashion.
+ 1 for dwindle
I don't think they could ever come up with a flavorful keyword for milling that jived with all the different ways it's been used. Destroying your books, scaring you, grinding up grain, mining, crabs, squawking, installing a sunlight in your study.

I vote that it stays as it is.

Of course, I now hate the number -12 more than anything. I think any player who played in Zendikar-Scars Standard does. So really, just calling it "-12" could work.
139359831 wrote: