Rate my Villain (Help with balance)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick background: the characters are in a city in anarchy and 6 gangs are fighting for control.  One gang runs teh "Red Quarter" (Read red light district) their leader is Viviana Sysavani.

*Fey rings, These are a set of 5 magically connected rings (they look like lestats (tom cruises) fang ring from interview with the vampire, during combat the claw part extends out to resemble something like deathstrike's claws form teh 2nd x-men movie.  Also there is a typo there, they do 4d4 not 6d4.

Using the rings, the rings take up a ring slot but can only be wielded by creatures who have a claw attack already, or use a feat to train in Superior Weapon-Claw 

Mainly looking for advice from DM's who have played through the Paragon/Epic Tier to make sure her XP Value is right comparable to her abilities.

To see full size image, click the picture, then click view full size image. 
All standard (non-Elite, non-Minion, not-Solo) level 14 creatures have the same XP value.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

The effect line for Fey Step refers to a twilight enforcer, not Viviana. Under Arcane Seduction, it should read "All enemies in burst". (Sorry, couldn't help myself from pointing these out. ;) )

Now that I'm done copyediting, on to the villain itself:

Role: Seeing that she has two Action Points, an aura, recharge powers and powerful effects, I presume she's meant to be a Solo. As it stands, she's listed as a Standard, so she should have five times the amount of HP she has now and a +5 to saving throws. Defences should be slightly higher too.

Arcane Seduction: Cool power, but I'm not too sure about the -2 to saving throws against the domination effect; domination is pretty nasty and can easily mess up smaller parties. Unless your group has plenty of boosts to saving throws or ways to grant them, I'd ditch the penalty. Also not sure if it should be a Daily. You typically meet villains/monsters only once. I suppose you plan on having her show up in multiple encounters within a same day? If that's the case, make sure to give her plenty of goons to help her before the final encounter.

Basic Ranged Attack: You might want to give her one at-will - even if it's only for minimal damage - as her only ranged attack is useable on Recharge 5. I don't think she's the type to go to the front lines.

Aside from that, she looks fine. An interesting villain with cool powers and effects. She could be a fun recurring character.

Thanks for the catch, yea typos .

As far as the character herself goes, whether or not she is a "solo" encounter is really in the hands of the PC's, I tend to run more sandbox games by creating a cast of NPC's of various levels each with their own goals and motivations and plopping the PC's in the middle and just see what happens (The current game has 6 gangs vying for control in a post-apocolyptic city).  Which can sometimes give me relatively little control over how encounters develop when it comes to major NPC's.  I will take your advice and boost her HP and Saves a bit though since I dont want her to be a total push-over if caught alone.

As for Arcane Seduction, its actually ripped from the intellect devourer in (MM III)The intellect devourer actually formed the base of the entire character which is why as was concerned about balancing since I was heavily modifying a "standard" encounter creature.  
As far as the character herself goes, whether or not she is a "solo" encounter is really in the hands of the PC's

I think you misunderstand: Solo Monsters are a specifically defined type of monster. They get (I believe it is) 4x HP, Higher damage, +5 to saving throws, 2 Action points, and some other stuff. They don't have to be fought alone, but they're ballanced so that a single Solo Monster can be an even challenge to a party of 5 PCs of equal level. But if you want a higher level encounter, you can add minions or standard foes to give more power to the encounter.

I am currently raising funds to run for President in 2016. Too many administrations have overlooked the international menace, that is Carmen Sandiego. I shall devote any and all necessary military resources to bring her to justice.

As for Arcane Seduction, its actually ripped from the intellect devourer in (MM III)The intellect devourer actually formed the base of the entire character which is why as was concerned about balancing since I was heavily modifying a "standard" encounter creature.  

Whaddya know... I guess you might as well leave it as is, then.

I'll just reiterate what Avric said: Solos are meant to be challenging by themselves, hence the power boost they get. Despite the title, however, they rarely do well on their own, thanks to the overwhelming power your typical party has, even more so if they can deny actions. It is always best for them be able to summon minions or call in reinforcements. As you stated yourself, things can be unpredictable in your game, and I'm pretty sure you'd hate to see her get killed off too soon. Increasing her HP will give her a chance to survive more than a round or two and escape should things get hairy.

Sign In to post comments