Which edition of D&D was this?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
A long, long, long, long time ago (before the wind, and before the snow).... sometime in the early to mid '80s to be precise...

One of my first acquisitions in D&D books was a set of softcover leather-bound volumes, there were 4 or 6 of them (guessing, might have been as many as 8 even), each were a different color, and each covered a single class or race. I was already gaming by then, up to second edition rules... I believe they were either original, basic, or possibly first edition AD&D.

They were actually my first introduction to roleplaying, a friend who lived across the street from me owned them . . . I never did play with him, but I read them at his house and imagined playing this wonderful game; then years later (after he'd decided he didn't like gaming) he dug them out of his closet and put them in a a garage sale; but by the time I bought them, I had already been gaming a while and gone from AD&D through to 2nd edition. I just had to have them because they were gorgeous books, and were (in a way) my first experience with an RPG.

Sadly these were lost in my past, along with a plethora of other books I considered to be valuable... a long and involved sob story.

I have, once or twice over the past couple of decades, casually searched to see if I could find a set and acquire them again. But I don't remember exactly what they were.

I do remember they were shorter than a standard RPG book back then, about the height of a standard hardcover. And about twice as thick as most RPG books - again about as thick as a standard hardcover novel. But the covers were leather, with gold leaf embossing. Each cover was colored differently, I do remember (or I think I remember) the elf's book was a green, and there was also a red volume, a blue volume, and a brown volume... not sure what the other colors were.

Hopefully someone else has had (or seen) them and knows what they were. Or maybe even has some for sale...

Sounds like the Class Handbooks of 2E.
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!
Possibly, but I don't think so. I remember the class handbooks as all being leather-like (but not leather), the same size as normal RPG books (3 or 4" taller and about half as thick or thinner), and all a maroon/brown color.

These were actual leather bound, shorter and thicker (about the size of a standard hardcover novel - not hardcover RPG book), and multicolored. And I am fairly certain they were OD&D or 1E. It is possible they were 2nd, but I don't think so.
There were Complete Handbook Series and off shoots of Castles, Ships, etc.  But later than 80's  early 90's (TSR) came out with Encyclopia of Magica which were brown, blue, green, and red leather bound volumes of magic items.  A similar series was released along that time that had volumes of Wizard Spells and Priest Spells.  They came out in the later stages of 2nd Edition but were usable for 1st and 3rd Edition without much work.
I know it wasn't complete hanbooks series - nor wwas it just spells. And the first time I encountered them was at the latest '85, and probably closer to '83 (of course it was nearly '90 by the time I bought them from him)...

You sure it wasn't something like this?

Dammit.  It doesn't show up. 
Go to Amazon and look up "Complete Guide to Gnomes & Halflings".  You'll find a 2e AD&D with a purple cover pictured.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Well, Second Edition didn't come out until 1989, so if you encountered this by 85 at the latest I don't think it was AD&D or Basic.

In OD&D, all the material came in little pamphlets similar to war games.

In AD&D, there were the hardback books and thin cardboard modules and a few softback supplements.

In Basic, the game came in boxes with a few cardboard modules and one or two softcovers.

The only leather bound product I can think of that TSR produced for either line would be the 2e Encyclopedia Magica.

You sure you weren't playing another game? It sounds like you must have.
Learn about Liberty: http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty Free Market Capitalism is the truest, and best hope for man kind. IMAGE(http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/Rumek_Testament/NeoGrognardextracroped.jpg) Visit my blog at: www.theneogrognard.blogspot.com
Sign In to post comments