RADIANT SERVANT OF PELOR

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
hi all, 3.5 rules, RADIANT SERVANT OF PELOR - PrC from Complete Divine, p.52

at 5th level - bonus domain

Bonus Domain: A radiant servant who reaches 5th level is granted another of Pelor’s domains as a third cleric domain, or he can choose the Glory or Purification domain. He can use the granted power of the new domain, and he can choose from the spell lists of three domains when selecting his domain spells for the day.

in phb - Pelor domains are Good, Healing, Strength, Sun

in CD - Glory, Good, Healing, Strength, Sun

so, here is a question:

Can I take a Glory domain as a cleric before reaching 5th level of Radiant Servant Of Pelor? or it's a some kind of not basic extra bonus domain which is available only for PrC? =)
Unless there is something specifically preventing you from selecting a domain when you start out in Cleric there is no reason you'd need to wait to take it.  As a Cleric 1 it would be one of your two domains; what RSoP does is give you a third domain choice which gives you one more option for your domain spell slots and also gives you access to that domain power.
Ok, I see. Thx.
Well, what about these words:
"These domains are only available to characters entering a prestige class that allows selection of a third domain; they are not available to newly created characters."
It's from Defenders of the Faith, p. 78.
I've got three opinions:
1) This phrase is correct, u can't take non phb domains (except, Sky Domain as raptorian cleric, for example :] ).
2) It's a 3.0 version, it's about a prestige domains, not about non phb domains.
3) It's a 3.0 version, it's up to DM. :P
Well, that would be something specifically preventing you from selecting a certain domain.  It is of course a 3.0 rule and a LOT of DotF was modified when it was converted into 3.5 so it may no longer apply.

Even 3.0 introduced a lot of domains that aren't in the PHB but clearly ARE available to clerics at first level. 
This really is not a forum question, but a DM question.  The deities and specifics tends to be something that is very campaign specific (at least around here).  It thus depends upon how your DM considers Pelor (and the gods in general).

If you want an official ruling, well, the official ruling is that the added domain is something special assigned to that prestige class.  Thus, that domain is not a generic domain, but one that only those of that specific class can access.  Thus, you would have to wait until you can claim the prestige class before being able to make use of the domain.

DM is DM =), no problem with that, but where did u get this "official ruling"? Books, errata or something like that?
Well, what about these words:
"These domains are only available to characters entering a prestige class that allows selection of a third domain; they are not available to newly created characters."
It's from Defenders of the Faith, p. 78.
I've got three opinions:
1) This phrase is correct, u can't take non phb domains (except, Sky Domain as raptorian cleric, for example :] ).
2) It's a 3.0 version, it's about a prestige domains, not about non phb domains.
3) It's a 3.0 version, it's up to DM. :P

Uh, dude, I got the 'official' words from you.  If you don't take an appropriate prestige class, you cannot take one of those domains.  Thus, the question should be one for your DM to see if he will be nice (or if 3.5 was nice for you).

I don't see why it couldn't be allowed to be given to a Cleric 1, since it's also given as an option in the Spell Compendium (with no requirements, it seems like all you'd have to do is justify your option).  It doesn't have a game-breaking domain power (since it's useless against non-undead enemies) and its spell list is meh.