CKY's Solphos: Rupture Spark

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

A large set based on combos, combo enablers, and Victorian science.

Rupture Spark

Creature – Elemental (R)
6/1

Haste
Whenever a creature you control attacks, exile the top card of your library and play it without paying its mana cost if able.

"This is why you don't leave the perioch without an earthing rod."
–Scandius, fallout miner

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

When I read the name I was all "Planeswalker kill spell?" but then it wasn't, so anyway....

This card has some promise.  I'm not sure what kind of deck I'd put it in since it need lots of creatures in play to by greatly effective, but anything that I'd want to play for free would be high-end combo pieces.  I think this card tows the line along with that new AR card Druids' Repository.  I kinda like it, but I'm just not sure yet what I'd do with it.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Now, this I like. I imagine it being very powerful with proper deckbuilding, even too powerful maybe.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
When I read the name I was all "Planeswalker kill spell?" but then it wasn't, so anyway....

It's a spark that comes out of a rupture, so yeah, Rupture Spark.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

It's a spark that comes out of a rupture, so yeah, Rupture Spark.

No, I totally get that.  It's just that my brain was in a different place when I read the name the first time.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Interesting, it only plays instants or cards with flash then, correct?

Seems kinda cool, although possibly punishing if it doesn't have the set up required.

..Actually I like the risk reward senario it makes, and how it plays off itself, allowing some really killer turns on it's own.  Sure if you had more creatures you could dig better but it most likely will be effective on it's own.
I assume there is an enabler that allows non-instant speed stuff to cast?

At the same time, its not clear enough that its only instant speed. On first readthrough, I did not pick that up. It's probably best to just clear that up rather than wait for someone to show it to you when it gets used incorrectly.
No, it lets you cast any nonland card. Keep in mind that you can't normally cast anything during the resolution of an ability.
blah blah metal lyrics
No, it lets you cast any nonland card. Keep in mind that you can't normally cast anything during the resolution of an ability.

Ok, so the 'If able' clause is just for spells that would be unable to target or such.  Yeah you're right though, since the Hideaways did that also, with instant speed Ultimatum funny times.

That seems very powerful..  I mean sure it dies when it attacks, or to nearly any spot removal or light sweeper but, could be potentially harsh.

I dunno; Although it does also force you to use spells you don't want to if you have targets For example if you out numbered the opponent.

Seems like it screams 'answer me or lose' though.
Sign In to post comments