Don't read if you hate stuff about simulations!!!

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you simply hate threads about simulations, welcome, I won't force you away because you share at least 1 thing with me. Curiosity!

A lot of you might wonder why I keep writting about simulations, and truth is, people generally write about what they know about, and I certainly know about simulations.

Now for a long time I have been digging into the fabric of what makes magic work as a game, and the simplest part of it can be quite complex, which is what I'm trying to show to most of you as a general message. There are so many tiny little details in even the simplest aspects of the game that a guy like me can spend more than 15 years contemplating sceeming, digging, learning and wringing both hands and soul with them.

That's huge!

As usual this article is covering a simulation that creates decks made of one type of basiclands and creatures with the cost and power of 1, 2, 3 and 4. All decks talked about are generated through an almost eternal war where they compete in beating a "goldfish" player as fast as possible, or so I thougth?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "article" called "Malice in wonderland:"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm at it again for the 117th time. Last week I broke my final mental barrier in constructing my simulations. I had some expectations as to what would happen and of course I was as wrong as ever and had to whimper in disbelief for the next 4 days before accepting that all I have learned again had to be unravelled. I am in some ways born again, but also very tired of being proven wrong in my own belifs constantly by the simulations that I have come to love.
-------------------------------------------------
The Hole In The Ground:
What was the last barrier! Well some part deep inside of me has always feared that parts of the evolutionary theories have been wrong so I have always assumed that the process of selection needed a hand. It's a clasical human reaction compared to thinking that GOD alone cant do the job! This time I decided to try out evolution at it's simplest level. No barriers, No help.

Usually when two decks would meet, I had decided that for the best results each deck should have 50 games in which to prove how fast it could kill a goldfish. (According to my own research 300 battles should be the minimum but that would take so much time that I would lose patience with the project pretty fast)

Those 50 games have been my helping hand, because over the time I have played around with simulation after simulation I tended to focus more and more on accuracy.

Now the time had come, I set the game down to 1. In the real world evolving creatures technically have 1 chance to prove themselves worthy of spawning an offspring. I have allways assumed that by giving the decks more chances to prove themselves they would improve better. Sure I knew it was some sort of restriction to evolution, but I never considered a fatal one.
You Can't Do That!:
As something new I have implemented a new feature. I now store how many battles each deck have won in total. (The number of offsprings!)
This implementation has probably saved the life of this new version of simulation.

I let the comp run while going to work. I come home, see some of the samples being flashed on the screen (At least 3-4 decks each second) and spot that it is actually running decks with 8 lands. That has to be an error! I chase the program for bugs, but find none, so I modify some structures and run the program again.

Next day. There are still flashing 8 land decks on the screen at some intervals. Time for a major overhaul of the simulator. Hours spent on bughunting reveals nothing, but a few details changed should improve the program. Restart again.

Third day. Damn 8-land decks... They should not be possible. They should not exist, but they do! There is nothing wrong with the program. This time I stop the program and start studying as many decks as possible made by the simulator.

I discover that both decks with as much as 22 lands and as low as 8 lands are actually being "successfull". Meaning that they were able to win several combats each! How can an 8 land deck win in an environment with 22 land decks?
I do not have the answer for you yet, but I am searching for them. I discovered that almost all decks with 8 lands had about 27-35 cards costing 1 mana. This is a logical choice when having so few lands. This fact kept me from scrapping the simulator into the trashbin. The rest of the deck also had a high number of 2cc's and a surprisingly high number of 3cc and 4cc (Those were between 3-6).
Running Around Getting Nowhere:
I have lately told you about the Rock, Scissors, Paper nature of mana solutions (MBS?) and it is the only thing that brings me close to an explanation, other than the speculation that inside the simulation things has to breed in some sort of advanced metagame, because only a certain number of decks can be successfull in one aspect. I believe that the 8 land decks can only exist because they are able to change pulse genetically faster than the "highland" decks can.

It is a weird fact that the lower amount of lands that you have, the more possibilities you get to "solve" your solution.

If you have a deck each nonland will have 4 posibilities.

In a deck with 59 lands your only spell may cost 1 through 4 mana.

A deck with 58 lands let you have 4x4 possible combinations of mana.

A deck with 50 lands offer 4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4x4 possible combinations! See where I am heading?

The lower amount of mana you can have the more combinations you may place your castingcosts into. Now not all solutions can be good, some are bound to be pretty crappy, but the way that the possibilities just explode the lower you go must be the only reason why these 8 land decks exist. In their own way they are probably very solid.
Drink Me!:
Now the clasical mana solutions I have extracted from my simulations have been based on a worst case concept. They all had several tries to prove themselves, so they are buildt around structures designed to fail as little as possible while trying to kill as fast as they can. These weird 8-land decks are probably following a reverse strategy. They attempt to kill one turn slower as often as possible because that will make them as good as the "Highlanders" when the highlanders fail (And statistically they have to do that) From there they then base the rest of their solution on just being lucky!?! They simply win when the highlanders fail, and sometimes they win because they get lucky! They are breed to be lucky!!!
Invisible Cats:
Half a year ago I would never have imagined that there is no perfect mana curve to be found (Or mana solution for that sake!)

Four days ago I would never have dreamed that there was another way of winning than being statistically best. I am at the core of discovering how mana solutions really work, but I doubt that I have scratched more than the top layers. The deeper I dig the harder I land at the bottom and get my beliefs crushed to a pulp. I truly hope that you can grasp some of what the hell I am playing around with here, because in some ways I have to relearn it all from the beginning each time I sit down and reveal something new for you. All of the elements I am digging into are of mathematical origin. Evolution and math has to be the things that forms some sort of "coin". Evolution represent pure chaos while math is ultimately structured! These two elements form the universe as we know it.
WD: A little Girl In A Magical Land:
I have always told you people that you need to think out of the box, to embrace new ideas and spin of into new directions. I know that human psychology hates that. We need a security net to land in. Otherwise our view of the world will be smashed to bits. But I urge you to at least consider being irrational from time to time, with luck you will discover something usefull and have fun at the same time.

89% of the time my project is tearing me to pieces and wearing me out. The major reason for this being that I can see that the majority of people does not embrace chaos like they should. In some way I am exactly like that. My physical life is very structured, I try to work logically and mechanical, and socially I take no risks and never aim at changing what I am and how I look.
Mentally I am flying on magical carpets and drinking tea with cute bunnies.

Get crazy.

It may improve your mind...
That's an interesting simulation. could you elaborate on how the games were played, and how the cards were swapped?

It sure shows how MTG is always more complicated that we think :-p 

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
Rancor dies to in-response removal.
Yeah... Until next game, where it'll be right back. Seriously, there's no way to deal with Rancor in any format. It should be banned, except Gleemax is a lobbyist for the Rancor party, so that'll never happen.
You can't ban rancor, it just returns to your deck.
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
You might want to actually talk to the Flavor & Storyline Board people... since, you know, our whole reason for playing Magic is the flavor. I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot more interest there than in General.
Indeed, both posters down there would be thrilled.
57817638 wrote:
I think I wasn't direct enough in my last post. I'll try to fix it now. Ahem... NO ONE CARES there you have it.
57471038 wrote:
When talks about banning Jace first started, I was thinking that I would see him banned come June 20th. But as I think more about it, I don't really think that Jace is the problem anymore. Sure his power level leaves very little to the imagination (opening Jace is like opening a refrigerator box with a naked girl on the inside), and sure his price does have a strong impact on what players choose to play (playing Jace is like being intimate with a woman and she doesn't charge you in the morning), but it is not the source of all the problems in Standard.
76973988 wrote:
How do people think saving room to print more abilities on cards is dumbing down the game?

Do you really think, say, Akroma would ever be printed if she said, "Akroma can block by creatures with this ability and cannot be blocked by creatures without this ability.  If a creature without this ability would deal combat damage by Akroma would be destroyed, prevent all combat damage that creature would deal to Akroma this combat.  Attacking does not cause Akroma to tap.  If Akroma is blocked and deals lethal damage, it deals the remainder of its damage to the defending player.  Akroma may attack and use abilities that require tapping in the casting cost the turn it enters the battlefield.  Akroma cannot be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by black or red sources" rather than her "dumbed down" wording she has?  No freaking way.  Keywording and shorthand allows them to make complicated cards easy to play with, allowing them to be printed in the first place.
57817638 wrote:
The creation of praetors was worth it just because now amoeboid changeling is a praetor.
57140668 wrote:
1. cast frankie peanuts2. ask opponent "will you concede the game this turn"? if they say yes, you win; if they say no, play a staying power
3. subsequently ask "will you attack this turn"? and "will you cast a spell this turn"? (using a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for the second question if necessary) to ensure they can't disrupt the combo
4. donate them a platinum angel
5. play a mox lotus and braingeyser them for every card in their library. play an opalescence and donate them a glorious anthem and a blacker lotus, then play enchanted evening. play and activate a mindslaver and then donate them a fastbond and the mox lotus (returning one of the donates to your hand with eternal witness or whatever)
6. during their turn, play every permanent in their hand (playing lands with fastbond) then (as yourself) cast mirrorweave on the blacker lotus, so every permanent becomes a copy of it. proceed to tear up every card they control, and hopefully do it before they notice that they aren't bound by staying power's ability anymore and can concede
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
One part of the statement being true=/=the whole statement true.
Whatever. I'm still here about ten minutes away. Whenever you want to get destroyed in Magic, I'm available.
I would like to get destroyed in Magic, actually. Do you know anybody good enough?
57617478 wrote:
Please format your statements in a way that doesn't look like a baboon hit its face on your keyboard.
57140668 wrote:
why did Garruk Relentless lose a loyalty counter
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
You're such an obvious troll that you have hexproof and : Regenerate.
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
Dark Ritual being overpowered is determined more by what is done with it than the card itself.
True, but the fact that it enables so many ridiculous things is pretty telling. It's like, sure I can use a shotgun as a bludgeoning instrument, but that doesn't make it not a shotgun.
79035425 wrote:
Shortly before Serra died, she transferred her spark into an angel whose full name was Asha Avacyn Bolas. Her dragon father groomed her for her positions in Alara and Innistrad, and she's also been getting help from her uncle Ugin in the form of Urza, who was resurrected as Marit Lage to be the avatar as which she projects herself into material realms. Grieslbrand is a split personality who sometimes wanders the planes disguised as a human woman named Liliana Vess.
97610188 wrote:
Yeah that (Content Removed) really annoys me. Moderated by MY_self right about naahowwww!
93446159 wrote:
Dilleux_Lepaire just won the thread.
57461258 wrote:
And, as usual, Dilleux wins the entire thread. Nice work, sir, nice work.
99113151 wrote:
They need to make 9 layers of zones where cards go when they "die". Much like Hell.
56778328 wrote:
Wow, holy doggy poop, kids, obvious statement is obvious.
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
i don't think your geting it WotC is trying to kill the comption to make it so that there shity app is the only one left.
I haven't tried the app. How is its use of English grammar? Cheers!
57471038 wrote:
Everyone's life would be easier if players would, instead of coming to the 'net for help with a deck, just netdeck and be done with it. And I'm not talking about some Top 8 lists, for the Casualists, too, can benefit from netdecking. I've netdecked plenty of decks from the Casual Play forums from users such as Mown, Raedien, Floopfoot, and a few others. I snatched straight the heck out of my web browser. Yes, people, your original idea fell victim to a savage netdecker. You have been assimiliated. Suppose I wanted a Zombie deck. Why on earth would I spend time searching Gatherer for a decent list of Zombie cards when Raedien already did it for me? Taking time to be creative or waiting on people on the forums to tell you why your deck sucks or 'go to Casual forums' is a disasterous waste of time (to me).
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
If WotC started putting $100 bills in packs, the players would complain that they folded them wrong.
No, they just spam them with ban requests. That being said, Magic was ruined back in Alpha when they added all that rules and cards [Debutantes avert your eyes]. My friends and I still like playing it the "pure" way (Basically we go into the woods and hit eachother with wiffle bats while shouting made up obscenities. You know, the way Garfield wanted it to be played).
56957928 wrote:
Don't worry about it. I've come up with a list of changes to fix EDH. -First off, there's no commander. -The minimum deck size is 60 cards, and each deck can have up to four of each card, save basic lands and relentless rats. Also decks have no color identity. -Starting life total is 20. And voila, now things are balanced.
89522235 wrote:
Here's a clever play you can try yourself: -Convince friend to run relentless rats.dec in legacy tournament -Get a deck with lots of mill, yixlid jailer, and humility -Drop humility and jailer, wait for him to dump his hand, mill him out -All his rats now have no abilities. Call a judge because he's playing an illegal deck with more than 4 of a single card. -Get him/her banned from competitive magic play
142055101 wrote:
But how to mark them without making the individual sleeve different! You could buy a skunk and slam it's butt on you deck (pardon the french) Then after the game just sniff at your opponent's pile of cards and you will know if any of your cards are there!!!
141434757 wrote:
In Soviet Russia, Sorin opens You
71235715 wrote:
L, is for the leather gloves you weaaaar. O, is for the organs that guy could spaaaare. V, is very very, extraordinay. E, is for every vagrant i butchered in a wine cellar befooooore.
57052258 wrote:
The outer layer of the Magic: the Gathering box, the carton, or crust, is fairly thin and light, and contains largely aluminosilcates. Within that lies the middle layer, consisting of the familiar booster pack. Although solid, the booster packs' high temperatures allow them to acutally move around within the booster box. This flow, sometimes called convection, is cited by frustrated box mappers as one of WOTC's most genious uses of thermodynamics since the Ravnica block. No one knows what lies at the core of the booster box, but scientists theorize that it must be especially dense in order to make up for the large amount of fluff distributed amongst the booster packs.
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
Torpor Orb is absolutely godawful against Vexing Devil.
whoever is playing vexing devil is probably losing anyways
56957928 wrote:
I imagine [Ajani 3's] second ability involves him hurling the creature at your opponent Brion Stoutarm style, then the guy is just like "Okay, that may have worked, but don't- GOD DAMN IT!" as he does it again because cats don't give a **** :33.
56957928 wrote:
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Albus Dumbledore, The Lord of the Rings.
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
Its like that one time Elves broke out in a field of Jund. Elves became a resurgent hit, then died off again once Jund adapted to the rest of the field of G/W that it required mass removal that inherently pooped on Elves too. Submit to the menace. Delver can, and will blot out the sun.
Then we shall play in the shade.
89522235 wrote:
I'm sorry, this forum isn't for getting bad advice on mediocre decks, that's standard deck help. This forum is for starting ****storms.
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
Your advice would only lead me to make generic, boring, and unworthy content. It's of no use to me.
I just got this image of you as an architect, having finished a building suspended by only a small pole in its southwest corner, saying it's original. Then the building collapses.
56957928 wrote:
I for one love the flavor of legendary lands. "I remember my days as a youth at Tolarian Academy." "Wow, small multiverse, I actually went there too." "WAIT, DON'T- Well ****, there's $200,000 in student loans well spent."
56957928 wrote:
And flavor goes out the window when you cast a second copy of a planeswalker right after the first one dies, so... "Hey Nissa, I need a favor." "You just asked me for a 'favor' like thirty seconds ago, and it turned out to be having Sarkhan Transmogrify my only follower into a dragon like 5 times -which dickery aside also violates some laws of causality - and then you let me get beaten over the head by that hedron crab." "...I'll give you " "...Well all right then."
57150868 wrote:
GM, I don't think Dill is better than you. I KNOW it. Even if he wakes up every morning, clubs a baby seal, steals all the TV remotes from within a block's radius of his house and then robs hungry orphans of their food he'd be better than you, for the simple reason that he learns from his mistakes.
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
What would they have to fight about? Like, all I can think of now is Gideon going "Hey, long-ears! I'm gathering a group of 'Walkers together to fight some tentacle monsters.....you want in?" and Tamiyo going "Ew! Hentai no bakka Gideon-desu desu!" and flying away.
76783093 wrote:
I open 4 packs just to be on the safe side. Not only do I get more cards than everyone else, but I also get to spend the rest of the night off. Win Win.
191752181 wrote:
MaRo has a thing for people opening boosters with bad cards. But since he can only get so many bad cards printed in each set, he has found a devious way of getting more bad cards into circulation: He makes entire print sheets with just bad rares, then puts them onto the assembly line. He proceeds to wring his hands and twirl his evil mustache that he grew for twirling purposes as a lightning bolt strikes in the background. Afterwards, he goes to make sure that the good cards are only opened by everyone's friends, and that we all only get to open bad cards. He does this by memorising each booster, than switching them around accordingly. Whenever someone complains about a card, he immediately jumps out from behind a chair to yell "WELL, IT'S NOT FOR YOU!" before merging back into the shadows in order to devise new ways in which he can screw over players, then claim that he has valid reasons for doing so.
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
You open a booster pack, and staring back at you from the rare slot is a Lotleth Troll? At least I can stick him in my EDH deck and still have four for my standard constructed.
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
It helped that I more or less skipped most of GM_Champion's longer diatribes. I only have so many brain cells I'm willing to sacrifice each day.
192931349 wrote:
Mark Rosewater is sitting in a seemingly innocuous cable TV van, outside of Bankaimastery's house. Sitting nearby are two hardened criminal hackers, fresh out of prison, and filled with resentment at their lack of physical fitness. "Have you managed to hack his brainwaves yet? The set deadline's coming up fast." "We're almost through. It should be coming up on the screen any second." The hacker presses a button, and Kevin's thoughts flash onto the screen. Mark and the hackers stare in amazement at the sheer beauty, the elegance, and the raw truth of what they see. It's like the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Brilliant light shines across the screen, the truth of existence is made clear to them, and they despair at their own foolishness, their own ignorance, their own inadequacy. And then they steal his ideas. As they return back to R&D, Mark sneers at a haggard old man chained to a cast-iron sphere. The man looks up from his laborious task of breaking rocks in the dungeon of Wizards of the Coast headquarters, and asks a question: "Kevin, my greatest student. He - he's all right, isn't he? You didn't hurt him?" Mark deals him a weighty blow with his boot. "Know your place, Richard. Get back to work."
57023768 wrote:
Now show me on the Garruk doll where Zac Hill ruined your enjoyment of Magic...
63711769 wrote:
I'm only opposed to it because it bears so little relation to how people actually play the game. The example of Miracles is actually a much better one then the Clone example I was trying to use. From the game's perspective, the card can move instantly from face down in the library to revealed in the hand and that's fine for the rules. But in real life, we can't actually do that, so the card spends a good bit of time in locations that are neither where that player's library is nor where that player's hand is. And that's fine for real life. What I don't want is the disconnect to be explicitly codified. Along the lines of
183664.697 A game of Magic as laid out by these rules exists only as a pure Platonic ideal, utterly unrealizable by fallible mortals limited by the confines of physicality and the ravages of evil and sin. 183664.698 The cake is a lie, too.
I know it's true, but I don't want the rules to actually straight-up tell me that.
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
Pfft this cant be serious can it? If it is please delete your account OP. Its not even close to ban worthy, considering what JTMS and stoneforge had to accomplish to get banned i see the WotC selling magic to aquire Pokemon before that ever happens.
I'm trying to imagine sorin markov as a gym leader in one of those pokemon games which you have to beat him to get his badge... somehow I imagine that he would stab you in the chest with his sword before giving you the badge, even if you beat his pokemon....
196239043 wrote:
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

All I want to do is sit down and play magic, but when I walked in yesterday, (since I didn't talk to anyone) nobody talked to me and I silently bought what I wanted and walked out.

If you don't talk to anyone, that increases the odds that no one will talk to you.

JuliusPringle wrote:

So how do I just... introduce myself? "Hi, my name is Adam, wanna play magic with me?" Do I go to the counter and talk to the cashier?

Yeah. Talk to the cashier. Tell him/her that you want a Black Lotus, and if they don't have one tell them that the store isn't on par with what you expected.

Reach into your back left pocket. Pull out a deck list that you copied directly from some ChannelFireball top 8 Standard discussion, and ask for all the cards, as is, on that list. Then, ask for some random, probably terrible cards from whatever set is Standard legal. Say it's tech for the upcoming changes in the metagame.

Pull out a deck, and tell some random dude you wanna test (you have to use the term "test" for this to work) for Standard. Make sure that deck contains Kitchen Finks and Alluring Siren. Maybe throw in Nyxathid for good measure.

Finally, before you leave, spill (make it look like an accident) one hundred singleton, random cards onto the floor. Pick them up, put them in a pile, and say "EEE-DEE-AYCH".

I know this sounds dumb at first, but it will work. With the method outlined above, you will draw the attention of players that play older formats by asking for cards that no one on Earth can reasonably afford. You will get the attention of the wanna-be pro, Stomp-n00bz players by pulling out a well known decklist and declare that you have "tech" to make it better. You will get the attention of all the kind, helpful players by seemingly not knowing the most common format by having non-Standard legal cards in a deck that you claim is Standard legal. Finally, you catch all the rest of the Magic players by saying "EEE-DEE-AYCH" (EDH (or Commander)).

And there you have it. You will be talking to more people than you would have wanted to talk to in no time.

Smoke_Stack wrote:

EDH is the best format anyway

See, it's starting already.

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?
Break the Card is a regular thread in the Cards and Combo Forum. Quite simply, the participants are given a Johnnystatic card (e.g. Xenograft) and are asked to build a deck around it. The winner and honorable mentions are sigged below. Get brewing!
Week 1 : Xenograft
This week's Break the Card was based around Xenograft. Thread : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27681049/Break_the_card_:_Xenograft?pg=1 Winner : Axterix with his Vampdrazi deck. Finalist : Vektor480 with his Ally/Golem/Plant deck. Honorable mentions : Zammm for the Turntimber Ranger combo and TinGorilla for suggesting Sarkhan the Mad.
Week 2 : Mindlock Orb
Here's the link to the Mindlock Orb contest : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27697565/Break_the_Card_:_Mindlock_Orb?sdb=1&pg=last#497536269 Winner : Axterix with his Maralen of the Mornsong deck. Honorable mentions : Void_Elemental.
Week 3 : Bludgeon Brawl
Here's the link to Break the Card : Bludgeon Brawl : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27715169/Break_the_Card_:_Bludgeon_Brawl?sdb=1&pg=last#498208797 Winner : Vektor and his Grab the World deck. Finalist : Crandor with his Awesome Aliteration deck. Honorable mentions : RP Jesus with his Wat deck and Zix200 with his Signet Renewal deck.
Week 4 : Followed Footsteps
This week was Followed Footsteps : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27748677/Break_the_Card_:_Followed_Footsteps?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Exponential Growth deck. Honorable mentions : Zix with his Carbon Copies deck and Escef with his Fungus of Speed and Time deck.
Week 5 : Delaying Shield
This week's card was Delaying Shield : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27790101/Break_the_Card_:_Delaying_Shield Winner : Tevish_Szat. Finalist : Vampire_Bat. Honorable Mention : Zix200.
Week 6 : Painter's Servant
This week's card was Painter's Servant : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27940861/Break_the_Card_:_Painters_Servant?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Paint it Black deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his Tiger, Tiger Painted Bright deck.
Week 7 : Venser, the Sojourner
This week's card was Venser, the Sojourner : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27977489/Break_the_Card_:_Venser,_the_Sojourner Winner : Izzett with her "Venser, Trickster Trader" deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his "Tactical Sojourner Action" deck.
Week 8 : Personal Sanctuary
This week's card was Personal Sanctuary : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28005461/Break_the_card_:_Personal_Sanctuary Winner : MrQuizzles. Honorable mention : Vampire_Bat and UbberSheep
Week 9 : Sundial of the Infinite
This week's card was Sundial of the Infinite : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28038277/Break_the_card_:_Sundial_of_the_Infinite Finalist : Izzett with her "Afterlife Trespassers" deck. Winner : Xeromus with his "Fortune 500" deck.
Week 10 : Jace's Archivist
This week's card was Jace's Archivist : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28063377/Break_the_Card_:_Jaces_Archivist. Finalists : Jentaru with his "Consecration of the Draw" deck and HereticSmitty with his "ADHD: The deck" deck. Winner : JaxsonBateman with his "The Archives Are Endless!" deck.
Week 11 : Search the City
This week's card was Search the City : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29518555/Break_the_Card_:_Search_the_City Finalist : Mown with "A Thousand Footsteps". Winner : Desolation_masticore with "Burn the City".
Week 12 : Fiend Hunter
This week's card was Fiend Hunter : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter Winner : Yuyu63 with "Carnival Hunting". Honorable mention : Dknowle's "Champion the Fiend".
Week 13 : Clock of Omens
This week's card was Clock of Omens : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29541549/Break_the_Card_:_Clock_of_Omens?pg=1 Winner : Dknowle's "The Myrs Go Marching".
Week 14 : Light of Sanction
This week's card was Light of Sanction : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29607219/Break_the_Card_:_Light_of_Sanction?pg=1 Winner : Zauzich's "Divine Plague".
Week 15 : Assemble the Legion
This week's card was Assemble the Legion : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29662307/Break_the_Card_:_Assemble_the_Legion Winner : JBTM's "Some Assembly Required".
Week 16 : High Tide
This week's cards were High Tide and/or Bubbling Muck : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29760427/Break_the_Card_:_High_Tide Winner : Mown's "Puppet Strings".
Week 17 : Illusionist's Bracers
This week's card was Illusionist's Bracers : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29776943/Break_the_Card_:_Illusionistss_Bracers Winner : Enigma256's "Tezzeret's Bracers"
Week 18 : Savor the Moment
This week's card was Savor the Moment : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29787235/Break_the_Card_:_Savor_the_Moment Winner : POSValkir's "A Savory Filibuster!"
Week 19 : Grinning Ignus
This week's card was Grinning Ignus : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29795547/Break_the_Card_:_Grinning_Ignus Winner : dknowle's "Luren' and Laughin'".
Week 20 : Transcendence
This week's card was Transcendence : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806481/Break_the_Card_:_Transcendence Winners : Mown's "Transcending Timing Restrictions" and Dknowle's "Blinded by Greed", tied for the win.
Week 21 : Mortus Strider
This week's card was Mortus Strider : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29818471/Break_the_Card_:_Mortus_Strider Winner : SimonGlume's "Mortus Head".
Week 22 : High Priest of Penance
This week's card was High Priest of Penance : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29917231/Break_the_Card_High_Priest_of_Penance Winners : JBTM's "Two Clerics and a Goblin walk into a (Bom)bar(dment)..." and POSValkir1's "Choke Their Rivers with Our Dead!".
Week 23 : False Cure
This week's card was False Cure :http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29964239/Break_the_Card_:_False_Cure Winner : Dknowle's "When Hippos Fly".

Week 24 : Akroan Horse

This week's card was Akroan Horse : http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4024821.

Winner : Dknowle's "Indian Giver".

Week 25 : Leylines

This week saw multiple cards being in the contest : all of the Leylines! http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4067621

Winner : POSValkir1's "Laying the Battle Lines".

As always, you make a random claim and you dont provide any proof whatsoever. Once again you claim this is mathematics but hell there's no mathematics in your wall of text. Once again I will tell you that you didnt prove ANYTHING you've written and that once again, this can just be yet another of your crackpot unfounded theories. You can keep telling me that they are founded, but I'll keep telling you. SHOW ME THE PROOF!!

I'm pretty curious about that program you've created, if it's as complex as it should be, it would have taken months/years of part time work to create it (considering you have a job and a family, years, considering you dont have a family, MAYBE months). If it's not as complex as it should be, you've wasted your time once again by making a simplistic simulation that doesnt represent a real game. And there's already big hints at that.

It's also pretty weird that you'd make such a complex program, just to come here and write a wall of text and not show any real evidence to back up what you write. Want to post the source code for it somewhere? I'm pretty curious.

Just for the sake of it, you've done exactly 100 simulation and this was simulation 100!? Damn..... Because 89 is a prime number Or is it like those wise words :

"86,2% of the percentages on the internet are made up and 71% of them come from unreliables sources"
- Julius Caesar
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Need source code or I say everything you just said is a bunch of bull crap. Nothing in that wall of text actually proves your ridiculous claims.
A lot of you might wonder why I keep writting about simulations,...

My guess would be that you're a glutton for punishment.

...and truth is, people generally write about what they know about,...

And you must be so proud to buck that trend.

...and I certainly know about simulations.

Well, if one learns by making mistakes, you must be the most learned person on the subject. And you Just. Keep. Learning.

I swear, you and bay_falconer should get together and try to set a record for most inexplicably incorrect analysis in a single post. And invite Hovercraft along if you can get a hold of him. It'll be awesome...

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Not sure I believe that you programmed code that can build a coherent Magic deck and play it with a human level of decision-making and intuition that is required to properly play.

Of course, if you want to prove your point by going out into the world with various 8-land decks, be my guest.  Let us know how that goes! 

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

Not sure I believe that you programmed code that can build a coherent Magic deck and play it with a human level of decision-making and intuition that is required to properly play.

Of course, if you want to prove your point by going out into the world with various 8-land decks, be my guest.  Let us know how that goes! 

Make sure that those 8-land decks have in between 27 and 35 creatures at 1 CMC

Can't forget to make them all 3-ofs
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Can't forget to make them all 3-ofs

hahahahhaha
ROFL @ dilleux. We did read the title, we (at least I) do love simulations. What he keeps claiming as simulation arent simulations because you can EXPLAIN the process of the simulation and you have actual tangible results. He doesnt, ever.

On a different note, I did a simulation as I'm writing this, it's a very mathematical simulation using an insanely complex program that I created while writing this message, the results are completely not made up and the results are UNDENIABLE because the title of this simulation will be "UNDENIABLE simulation results that you cannot second guess or make observations that the simulation doesnt make any sense!"

The hypothesis : the art of a land card can make you win more games!
The results : Art B  will make you win a lot more games than Art A or C or even D! This is unbelievable, I didnt expect those results.

So my conclusion, if you want to win more often, you should play with ONLY Art B lands.

(Hell my simulation had more structure than WD's)

As I understand it, it's just making decks out of various combinations of (the equivalent of) Forest, Willow Elf, Runeclaw Bear, Centaur Courser, and Golden Bear, and the gameplay just involves goldfishing.  The "gameplay" there is trivial, since you'd just attack with everything, play a land if you have it, and cast the creature or creatures with the highest total power among those you can afford.

So I don't see the claim about this particular simulation implausible.  I just see it as rather pointless, since this simplification doesn't at all match actual Magic.
ROFL @ dilleux. We did read the title, we (at least I) do love simulations. What he keeps claiming as simulation arent simulations because you can EXPLAIN the process of the simulation and you have actual tangible results. He doesnt, ever.

On a different note, I did a simulation as I'm writing this, it's a very mathematical simulation using an insanely complex program that I created while writing this message, the results are completely not made up and the results are UNDENIABLE because the title of this simulation will be "UNDENIABLE simulation results that you cannot second guess or make observations that the simulation doesnt make any sense!"

The results : Art B  will make you win a lot more games than Art A or C or even D! This is unbelievable, I didnt expect those results.

So my conclusion, if you want to win more often, you should play with ONLY Art B lands.

That's why you should actually take the time to understand what he does.

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
Yeah... Until next game, where it'll be right back. Seriously, there's no way to deal with Rancor in any format. It should be banned, except Gleemax is a lobbyist for the Rancor party, so that'll never happen.
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
You might want to actually talk to the Flavor & Storyline Board people... since, you know, our whole reason for playing Magic is the flavor. I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot more interest there than in General.
57817638 wrote:
I think I wasn't direct enough in my last post. I'll try to fix it now. Ahem... NO ONE CARES there you have it.
57471038 wrote:
When talks about banning Jace first started, I was thinking that I would see him banned come June 20th. But as I think more about it, I don't really think that Jace is the problem anymore. Sure his power level leaves very little to the imagination (opening Jace is like opening a refrigerator box with a naked girl on the inside), and sure his price does have a strong impact on what players choose to play (playing Jace is like being intimate with a woman and she doesn't charge you in the morning), but it is not the source of all the problems in Standard.
76973988 wrote:
How do people think saving room to print more abilities on cards is dumbing down the game?

Do you really think, say, Akroma would ever be printed if she said, "Akroma can block by creatures with this ability and cannot be blocked by creatures without this ability.  If a creature without this ability would deal combat damage by Akroma would be destroyed, prevent all combat damage that creature would deal to Akroma this combat.  Attacking does not cause Akroma to tap.  If Akroma is blocked and deals lethal damage, it deals the remainder of its damage to the defending player.  Akroma may attack and use abilities that require tapping in the casting cost the turn it enters the battlefield.  Akroma cannot be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by black or red sources" rather than her "dumbed down" wording she has?  No freaking way.  Keywording and shorthand allows them to make complicated cards easy to play with, allowing them to be printed in the first place.
57817638 wrote:
The creation of praetors was worth it just because now amoeboid changeling is a praetor.
57140668 wrote:
1. cast frankie peanuts2. ask opponent "will you concede the game this turn"? if they say yes, you win; if they say no, play a staying power
3. subsequently ask "will you attack this turn"? and "will you cast a spell this turn"? (using a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for the second question if necessary) to ensure they can't disrupt the combo
5. play a mox lotus and braingeyser them for every card in their library. play an opalescence and donate them a glorious anthem and a blacker lotus, then play enchanted evening. play and activate a mindslaver and then donate them a fastbond and the mox lotus (returning one of the donates to your hand with eternal witness or whatever)
6. during their turn, play every permanent in their hand (playing lands with fastbond) then (as yourself) cast mirrorweave on the blacker lotus, so every permanent becomes a copy of it. proceed to tear up every card they control, and hopefully do it before they notice that they aren't bound by staying power's ability anymore and can concede
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
Whatever. I'm still here about ten minutes away. Whenever you want to get destroyed in Magic, I'm available.
I would like to get destroyed in Magic, actually. Do you know anybody good enough?
57617478 wrote:
Please format your statements in a way that doesn't look like a baboon hit its face on your keyboard.
57140668 wrote:
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
Dark Ritual being overpowered is determined more by what is done with it than the card itself.
True, but the fact that it enables so many ridiculous things is pretty telling. It's like, sure I can use a shotgun as a bludgeoning instrument, but that doesn't make it not a shotgun.
79035425 wrote:
Shortly before Serra died, she transferred her spark into an angel whose full name was Asha Avacyn Bolas. Her dragon father groomed her for her positions in Alara and Innistrad, and she's also been getting help from her uncle Ugin in the form of Urza, who was resurrected as Marit Lage to be the avatar as which she projects herself into material realms. Grieslbrand is a split personality who sometimes wanders the planes disguised as a human woman named Liliana Vess.
97610188 wrote:
Yeah that (Content Removed) really annoys me. Moderated by MY_self right about naahowwww!
93446159 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
They need to make 9 layers of zones where cards go when they "die". Much like Hell.
56778328 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
i don't think your geting it WotC is trying to kill the comption to make it so that there shity app is the only one left.
57471038 wrote:
Everyone's life would be easier if players would, instead of coming to the 'net for help with a deck, just netdeck and be done with it. And I'm not talking about some Top 8 lists, for the Casualists, too, can benefit from netdecking. I've netdecked plenty of decks from the Casual Play forums from users such as Mown, Raedien, Floopfoot, and a few others. I snatched straight the heck out of my web browser. Yes, people, your original idea fell victim to a savage netdecker. You have been assimiliated. Suppose I wanted a Zombie deck. Why on earth would I spend time searching Gatherer for a decent list of Zombie cards when Raedien already did it for me? Taking time to be creative or waiting on people on the forums to tell you why your deck sucks or 'go to Casual forums' is a disasterous waste of time (to me).
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
If WotC started putting $100 bills in packs, the players would complain that they folded them wrong.
No, they just spam them with ban requests. That being said, Magic was ruined back in Alpha when they added all that rules and cards [Debutantes avert your eyes]. My friends and I still like playing it the "pure" way (Basically we go into the woods and hit eachother with wiffle bats while shouting made up obscenities. You know, the way Garfield wanted it to be played).
56957928 wrote:
Don't worry about it. I've come up with a list of changes to fix EDH. -First off, there's no commander. -The minimum deck size is 60 cards, and each deck can have up to four of each card, save basic lands and relentless rats. Also decks have no color identity. -Starting life total is 20. And voila, now things are balanced.
89522235 wrote:
Here's a clever play you can try yourself: -Convince friend to run relentless rats.dec in legacy tournament -Get a deck with lots of mill, yixlid jailer, and humility -Drop humility and jailer, wait for him to dump his hand, mill him out -All his rats now have no abilities. Call a judge because he's playing an illegal deck with more than 4 of a single card. -Get him/her banned from competitive magic play
142055101 wrote:
But how to mark them without making the individual sleeve different! You could buy a skunk and slam it's butt on you deck (pardon the french) Then after the game just sniff at your opponent's pile of cards and you will know if any of your cards are there!!!
141434757 wrote:
71235715 wrote:
L, is for the leather gloves you weaaaar. O, is for the organs that guy could spaaaare. V, is very very, extraordinay. E, is for every vagrant i butchered in a wine cellar befooooore.
57052258 wrote:
The outer layer of the Magic: the Gathering box, the carton, or crust, is fairly thin and light, and contains largely aluminosilcates. Within that lies the middle layer, consisting of the familiar booster pack. Although solid, the booster packs' high temperatures allow them to acutally move around within the booster box. This flow, sometimes called convection, is cited by frustrated box mappers as one of WOTC's most genious uses of thermodynamics since the Ravnica block. No one knows what lies at the core of the booster box, but scientists theorize that it must be especially dense in order to make up for the large amount of fluff distributed amongst the booster packs.
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
I imagine [Ajani 3's] second ability involves him hurling the creature at your opponent Brion Stoutarm style, then the guy is just like "Okay, that may have worked, but don't- GOD DAMN IT!" as he does it again because cats don't give a **** :33.
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
Its like that one time Elves broke out in a field of Jund. Elves became a resurgent hit, then died off again once Jund adapted to the rest of the field of G/W that it required mass removal that inherently pooped on Elves too. Submit to the menace. Delver can, and will blot out the sun.
89522235 wrote:
I'm sorry, this forum isn't for getting bad advice on mediocre decks, that's standard deck help. This forum is for starting ****storms.
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
Your advice would only lead me to make generic, boring, and unworthy content. It's of no use to me.
I just got this image of you as an architect, having finished a building suspended by only a small pole in its southwest corner, saying it's original. Then the building collapses.
56957928 wrote:
I for one love the flavor of legendary lands. "I remember my days as a youth at Tolarian Academy." "Wow, small multiverse, I actually went there too." "WAIT, DON'T- Well ****, there's $200,000 in student loans well spent."
56957928 wrote:
And flavor goes out the window when you cast a second copy of a planeswalker right after the first one dies, so... "Hey Nissa, I need a favor." "You just asked me for a 'favor' like thirty seconds ago, and it turned out to be having Sarkhan Transmogrify my only follower into a dragon like 5 times -which dickery aside also violates some laws of causality - and then you let me get beaten over the head by that hedron crab." "...I'll give you " "...Well all right then."
57150868 wrote:
GM, I don't think Dill is better than you. I KNOW it. Even if he wakes up every morning, clubs a baby seal, steals all the TV remotes from within a block's radius of his house and then robs hungry orphans of their food he'd be better than you, for the simple reason that he learns from his mistakes.
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
What would they have to fight about? Like, all I can think of now is Gideon going "Hey, long-ears! I'm gathering a group of 'Walkers together to fight some tentacle monsters.....you want in?" and Tamiyo going "Ew! Hentai no bakka Gideon-desu desu!" and flying away.
76783093 wrote:
I open 4 packs just to be on the safe side. Not only do I get more cards than everyone else, but I also get to spend the rest of the night off. Win Win.
191752181 wrote:
MaRo has a thing for people opening boosters with bad cards. But since he can only get so many bad cards printed in each set, he has found a devious way of getting more bad cards into circulation: He makes entire print sheets with just bad rares, then puts them onto the assembly line. He proceeds to wring his hands and twirl his evil mustache that he grew for twirling purposes as a lightning bolt strikes in the background. Afterwards, he goes to make sure that the good cards are only opened by everyone's friends, and that we all only get to open bad cards. He does this by memorising each booster, than switching them around accordingly. Whenever someone complains about a card, he immediately jumps out from behind a chair to yell "WELL, IT'S NOT FOR YOU!" before merging back into the shadows in order to devise new ways in which he can screw over players, then claim that he has valid reasons for doing so.
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
You open a booster pack, and staring back at you from the rare slot is a Lotleth Troll? At least I can stick him in my EDH deck and still have four for my standard constructed.
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
It helped that I more or less skipped most of GM_Champion's longer diatribes. I only have so many brain cells I'm willing to sacrifice each day.
192931349 wrote:
Mark Rosewater is sitting in a seemingly innocuous cable TV van, outside of Bankaimastery's house. Sitting nearby are two hardened criminal hackers, fresh out of prison, and filled with resentment at their lack of physical fitness. "Have you managed to hack his brainwaves yet? The set deadline's coming up fast." "We're almost through. It should be coming up on the screen any second." The hacker presses a button, and Kevin's thoughts flash onto the screen. Mark and the hackers stare in amazement at the sheer beauty, the elegance, and the raw truth of what they see. It's like the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Brilliant light shines across the screen, the truth of existence is made clear to them, and they despair at their own foolishness, their own ignorance, their own inadequacy. And then they steal his ideas. As they return back to R&D, Mark sneers at a haggard old man chained to a cast-iron sphere. The man looks up from his laborious task of breaking rocks in the dungeon of Wizards of the Coast headquarters, and asks a question: "Kevin, my greatest student. He - he's all right, isn't he? You didn't hurt him?" Mark deals him a weighty blow with his boot. "Know your place, Richard. Get back to work."
57023768 wrote:
63711769 wrote:
I'm only opposed to it because it bears so little relation to how people actually play the game. The example of Miracles is actually a much better one then the Clone example I was trying to use. From the game's perspective, the card can move instantly from face down in the library to revealed in the hand and that's fine for the rules. But in real life, we can't actually do that, so the card spends a good bit of time in locations that are neither where that player's library is nor where that player's hand is. And that's fine for real life. What I don't want is the disconnect to be explicitly codified. Along the lines of
183664.697 A game of Magic as laid out by these rules exists only as a pure Platonic ideal, utterly unrealizable by fallible mortals limited by the confines of physicality and the ravages of evil and sin. 183664.698 The cake is a lie, too.
I know it's true, but I don't want the rules to actually straight-up tell me that.
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
Pfft this cant be serious can it? If it is please delete your account OP. Its not even close to ban worthy, considering what JTMS and stoneforge had to accomplish to get banned i see the WotC selling magic to aquire Pokemon before that ever happens.
I'm trying to imagine sorin markov as a gym leader in one of those pokemon games which you have to beat him to get his badge... somehow I imagine that he would stab you in the chest with his sword before giving you the badge, even if you beat his pokemon....
196239043 wrote:
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

All I want to do is sit down and play magic, but when I walked in yesterday, (since I didn't talk to anyone) nobody talked to me and I silently bought what I wanted and walked out.

If you don't talk to anyone, that increases the odds that no one will talk to you.

JuliusPringle wrote:

So how do I just... introduce myself? "Hi, my name is Adam, wanna play magic with me?" Do I go to the counter and talk to the cashier?

Yeah. Talk to the cashier. Tell him/her that you want a Black Lotus, and if they don't have one tell them that the store isn't on par with what you expected.

Reach into your back left pocket. Pull out a deck list that you copied directly from some ChannelFireball top 8 Standard discussion, and ask for all the cards, as is, on that list. Then, ask for some random, probably terrible cards from whatever set is Standard legal. Say it's tech for the upcoming changes in the metagame.

Pull out a deck, and tell some random dude you wanna test (you have to use the term "test" for this to work) for Standard. Make sure that deck contains Kitchen Finks and Alluring Siren. Maybe throw in Nyxathid for good measure.

Finally, before you leave, spill (make it look like an accident) one hundred singleton, random cards onto the floor. Pick them up, put them in a pile, and say "EEE-DEE-AYCH".

I know this sounds dumb at first, but it will work. With the method outlined above, you will draw the attention of players that play older formats by asking for cards that no one on Earth can reasonably afford. You will get the attention of the wanna-be pro, Stomp-n00bz players by pulling out a well known decklist and declare that you have "tech" to make it better. You will get the attention of all the kind, helpful players by seemingly not knowing the most common format by having non-Standard legal cards in a deck that you claim is Standard legal. Finally, you catch all the rest of the Magic players by saying "EEE-DEE-AYCH" (EDH (or Commander)).

And there you have it. You will be talking to more people than you would have wanted to talk to in no time.

Smoke_Stack wrote:

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?
Break the Card is a regular thread in the Cards and Combo Forum. Quite simply, the participants are given a Johnnystatic card (e.g. Xenograft) and are asked to build a deck around it. The winner and honorable mentions are sigged below. Get brewing!
This week's Break the Card was based around Xenograft. Thread : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27681049/Break_the_card_:_Xenograft?pg=1 Winner : Axterix with his Vampdrazi deck. Finalist : Vektor480 with his Ally/Golem/Plant deck. Honorable mentions : Zammm for the Turntimber Ranger combo and TinGorilla for suggesting Sarkhan the Mad.
Here's the link to the Mindlock Orb contest : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27697565/Break_the_Card_:_Mindlock_Orb?sdb=1&pg=last#497536269 Winner : Axterix with his Maralen of the Mornsong deck. Honorable mentions : Void_Elemental.
Here's the link to Break the Card : Bludgeon Brawl : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27715169/Break_the_Card_:_Bludgeon_Brawl?sdb=1&pg=last#498208797 Winner : Vektor and his Grab the World deck. Finalist : Crandor with his Awesome Aliteration deck. Honorable mentions : RP Jesus with his Wat deck and Zix200 with his Signet Renewal deck.
This week was Followed Footsteps : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27748677/Break_the_Card_:_Followed_Footsteps?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Exponential Growth deck. Honorable mentions : Zix with his Carbon Copies deck and Escef with his Fungus of Speed and Time deck.
This week's card was Delaying Shield : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27790101/Break_the_Card_:_Delaying_Shield Winner : Tevish_Szat. Finalist : Vampire_Bat. Honorable Mention : Zix200.
This week's card was Painter's Servant : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27940861/Break_the_Card_:_Painters_Servant?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Paint it Black deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his Tiger, Tiger Painted Bright deck.
This week's card was Venser, the Sojourner : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27977489/Break_the_Card_:_Venser,_the_Sojourner Winner : Izzett with her "Venser, Trickster Trader" deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his "Tactical Sojourner Action" deck.
This week's card was Personal Sanctuary : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28005461/Break_the_card_:_Personal_Sanctuary Winner : MrQuizzles. Honorable mention : Vampire_Bat and UbberSheep
This week's card was Sundial of the Infinite : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28038277/Break_the_card_:_Sundial_of_the_Infinite Finalist : Izzett with her "Afterlife Trespassers" deck. Winner : Xeromus with his "Fortune 500" deck.
This week's card was Jace's Archivist : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28063377/Break_the_Card_:_Jaces_Archivist. Finalists : Jentaru with his "Consecration of the Draw" deck and HereticSmitty with his "ADHD: The deck" deck. Winner : JaxsonBateman with his "The Archives Are Endless!" deck.
This week's card was Search the City : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29518555/Break_the_Card_:_Search_the_City Finalist : Mown with "A Thousand Footsteps". Winner : Desolation_masticore with "Burn the City".
This week's card was Fiend Hunter : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter Winner : Yuyu63 with "Carnival Hunting". Honorable mention : Dknowle's "Champion the Fiend".
This week's card was Clock of Omens : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29541549/Break_the_Card_:_Clock_of_Omens?pg=1 Winner : Dknowle's "The Myrs Go Marching".
This week's card was Light of Sanction : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29607219/Break_the_Card_:_Light_of_Sanction?pg=1 Winner : Zauzich's "Divine Plague".
This week's card was Assemble the Legion : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29662307/Break_the_Card_:_Assemble_the_Legion Winner : JBTM's "Some Assembly Required".
This week's cards were High Tide and/or Bubbling Muck : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29760427/Break_the_Card_:_High_Tide Winner : Mown's "Puppet Strings".
This week's card was Illusionist's Bracers : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29776943/Break_the_Card_:_Illusionistss_Bracers Winner : Enigma256's "Tezzeret's Bracers"
This week's card was Savor the Moment : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29787235/Break_the_Card_:_Savor_the_Moment Winner : POSValkir's "A Savory Filibuster!"
This week's card was Grinning Ignus : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29795547/Break_the_Card_:_Grinning_Ignus Winner : dknowle's "Luren' and Laughin'".
This week's card was Transcendence : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806481/Break_the_Card_:_Transcendence Winners : Mown's "Transcending Timing Restrictions" and Dknowle's "Blinded by Greed", tied for the win.
This week's card was Mortus Strider : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29818471/Break_the_Card_:_Mortus_Strider Winner : SimonGlume's "Mortus Head".
This week's card was High Priest of Penance : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29917231/Break_the_Card_High_Priest_of_Penance Winners : JBTM's "Two Clerics and a Goblin walk into a (Bom)bar(dment)..." and POSValkir1's "Choke Their Rivers with Our Dead!".
This week's card was False Cure :http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29964239/Break_the_Card_:_False_Cure Winner : Dknowle's "When Hippos Fly".

This week's card was Akroan Horse : http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4024821.

This week saw multiple cards being in the contest : all of the Leylines! http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4067621

I did read his WHOLE wall of text. You should re-read my first post, everything's there. No math, no proof, non plausible program creation/useless program. NO CREDIBILITY.
What is even the point of this "simulation"? It doesn't help with deckbuilding at all, because nobody is making decks out of vanilla 1/1s, 2/2s, 3/3s and 4/4s, but even if the supposed program were capable of handling more complex strategies than drop the strongest vanilla beat sticks, it appears to be woefully incapable of developing a mana base. This is strange because mana bases seem to be something you are particularly interested in. No sane deck I can think of would run 8 lands, ever. I'm not sold that's optimal even without an opponent, trying something like this against an actual player would be nothing less than suicidal. You have accomplished nothing but further cementing the fact that you don't seem to understand what you're talking about.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I didn't know what a "simulation" was before I came to this thread.  I don't know if there's a "simulation basics" thread I was supposed to go to before coming to this one, I just gave a response here.

If you think that what I said should label me a "hater of simulations" or an insulter of the OP, then that's a fine opinion to have, but I disagree with it.  I enjoyed his post, I just think the claims he made are implausible.  I'm hoping that he can explain more in a way that will make it seem more plausible.

If it is just running vanilla creatures against each other, then I think he should have made that clear... but then again, maybe that's in the simulation basics thread.  :D

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

If you think that what I said should label me a "hater of simulations" or an insulter of the OP, then that's a fine opinion to have, but I disagree with it.  I enjoyed his post, I just think the claims he made are implausible.  I'm hoping that he can explain more in a way that will make it seem more plausible.

Nope.

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
76973988 wrote:

57817638 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57617478 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
79035425 wrote:
97610188 wrote:
93446159 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
56778328 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
142055101 wrote:
141434757 wrote:
71235715 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57150868 wrote:
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
76783093 wrote:
191752181 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
192931349 wrote:
57023768 wrote:
63711769 wrote:
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
196239043 wrote:

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

Smoke_Stack wrote:

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?

I'm going to echo the calls for more information on exactly how the simulations work.  Adeyke's description seems very plausible, in which case you could probably get a solution far more quickly than through your (apparently slow) Monte Carlo process.

I suspect that the 8-land decks are an artifact of insufficient iterations or too-small evolutionary steps.  With the former, unlikely decks aren't weeded out before being reported as successful, and with the latter it's very easy to get stuck in a local extrema.

See? No hostility at all!

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I’ve removed content from this thread because Harassment, Baiting and Trolling are all violations of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code of Conduct here:

www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.

To confirm this theory, while watching high level tournaments, many of the participants use full art lands.  Clearly this means that full art lands help you win.

Imagine Zendikar full land Art B!
I swapped all 8 lands in my Chimney Imp deck to Zendikar full land art B and won a game 1 vs 7. It is clearly the strongest land available, I feel the deck could have done better if I were to only run 3 imps though.
How often do the 8-land decks win? In Texas Hold'em the worst pocket cards are 7-2 offsuit because they aren't paired, unsuited, there is no possible way to make a straight with both of them and they are both worthless as kickers. As almost everyone knows, the best possible pre-flop hand is AA. However, even 7-2os will win over AA about 12% of the time in simulations not so much because it won, but that AA "lost".

Is it possible that the 8-land victories are purely luck of the draw and not statistically important?
 Is it possible that the 8-land victories are purely luck of the draw and not statistically important?

I think we can make that assumption with a fair amount of certainty.

Edit: yep, my super secret simulation program just confirmed that WD's simulation is indeed simplistic and invalid.

10-land stompy was a serious deck back in the day, and it's even been making a resurgence in Pauper lately with the printing of Young Wolf and Hunger of the Howlpack. However, a simulation that simply runs 1/1 creatures against 2/2 creatures is too simplistic to give us in-depth information on real Magic. It would be interesting, though, to learn that your simulation found a tetramodal distribution rather than a simple modal distribution for the number of lands you "evolved".
To all questioners, there's only two questions asked that are not answered by the article itself, so I strongly suggests that you re-read it but with more thoroughness

The two questions not answered by the post are:

A: Where's the math in it?
I'ts evolution, and nature has proven time and time again that it follows the inherant structures of the world, including core mathematics. Theres your math!

B: How does the simulation work?
I'm quite willing to share the program itself, but there are some technical problems.
1. My computer is broken down (Not an unsolvable problem)
2. I write my programs in c64 basic and used a c64 emulator on a pc. The specific emulator I use is no longer available on the net in a version that can save/store programs. At least it wasn't when I tried to introduce the program to phyrexia.com so it will take someone to find a working emulator with an undammaged save function, and me posting an alternate version of the program itself then the one with the emulator writes and saves, then run the program, and after some modifications he/she will be able to do exactly the same as I did. It took me a couple of days to build the program and some weeks to find all bugs. (Except some few, very difficult ones that may wait around for a long time before they show up on any tests!)

The program follows these steps:

1: Generate a population. all decks in the deckmemory will start out as a copy of a single manasolution. Then they will all be randomly mutated.

2: The program starts a cycle. 
One deck is chosen by it's decknumber (In this case deck nr 1.) and another is chosen at random. the two decks compete by the program measuring how fast they kill a goldfishplayer on the average of the number of played games. The deck that has the worst results are overwritten by the winning deck and mutated. Then the process is repeated (With deck nr 2 and a random deck) until the cycle is finnished.

Also to satisfy some curiosity on how basic looks like, here's how the routine that draws a card would look like.

9000 f=int(rnd(1)*60)+1
9001 ifklo(f)=1thengoto9000
9002 klo(f)=1
9003 ifkid(f)=1thenlh=lh+1
9004 ifkid(f)=2thenba=ba+1
9005 ifkid(f)=3thenbb=bb+1
9006 ifkid(f)=4thenbc=bc+1
9007 ifkid(f)=5thenbe=be+1
9999 return
Are you entirely sure that you think you know how evolution works?
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
TERTI:

Noone truly knows how evolution works.

But I know the memeticism, epigenetics, and both horizontal and vertical evolution by heart

I can also tell you a lot of fun stuff that ordinary people don't know about it.

I disagree on the existance of sexual evolution, since that's just a flashy concept that some people have tried to isolate from evolution, but which is just plain ordinary oldfashioned evolution with some explicit Male/female/bacteria action thrown in to upset people :P
Thought so, thanks for the quick response
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
A- So no math
B- How convenient... *google search for 10 seconds*
DASM
dasm-dillon.sourceforge.net/
Emulator
www.viceteam.org/

Post that program, the excuse that your computer is broken is almost as credible as the "my dog ate my homework excuse"..... maybe your dog ate your computer?

In any case, your simulation is insanely simplistic and doesnt represent a game (still better than what I could do, mind you). Considering the explanations that you've written, the program doesnt even play magic the gathering, so your results shouldnt even mention magic the gathering. It's just using the very basic of magic battle phase and applying them blindly without any interraction. The results represent virtually nothing. This remind me of your 5 (4) kill turn claims a long time ago. Where it was possible to kill on turn 5 with the deck you had posted (but not 4 like you had claimed and then claimed it was a typo... a typo that you had done several times....) but the opponent had to do absolutely nothing for 5 turns. Both suffer from the same problem, you are playing blindly agaisnt nothing. This is not magic, it's an hollowed shell of the basic rules of magic.

If you want to make a simulation with any kind of significance, you have to make 2 decks battle each other, if you could create such a program, I'd be happy to see your results, untill then I'll return with my first answer, your simulations do not represent anything worth even analyzing and your proofs are very sketchy at most.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Keeper : Reported
What do you mean by "all decks in the deckmemory will start out as a copy of a single manasolution" and "The deck that has the worst results are overwritten by the winning deck and mutated"? Could you elaborate on those points?

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
76973988 wrote:

57817638 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
57617478 wrote:
57140668 wrote:
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
79035425 wrote:
97610188 wrote:
93446159 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
56778328 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
142055101 wrote:
141434757 wrote:
71235715 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
89522235 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57150868 wrote:
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
76783093 wrote:
191752181 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
192931349 wrote:
57023768 wrote:
63711769 wrote:
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
196239043 wrote:

JustTerrorIt wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

JuliusPringle wrote:

Smoke_Stack wrote:

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?

I like simulations, LOL. It's just that real experiments carry more weight. For instance, I know that I can, on turn 5 in Standard right now. do 11 damage to you in red. That's a thought experiment that is backed up by real experiments; one of DKA's event decks was based around that concept. But it doesn't mean that's the only way to win, or even the best way.

There is a psychograph for this, though. Spikes obsess over the smallest changes in probability.

@wickeddarkman: That's interesting. Most of us truly understand natural selection. Dear God, we've been applying that bit of knowledge for roughly the last 10,000 years, before we "knew" it. Mutation's pretty easy to understand, though different things affect how often mutations occur, and what does is important.

Sexual selection became a way of explaining sex differences and things that show up only in adulthood. Not, say, why female mosquitos suck blood, but why male lions have manes.

I would also say I've studied biology, and really, nothing makes sense in biology without evolution.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thanks for the information, WDM.  

Might I suggest you learn Python?  It's dead simple and doesn't rely on a c64 emulator to run.  It's also very likely to be much faster than your current implementation.

That's certainly an ... interesting implementation of a genetic algorithm you've got there.  Typically such programs generate a set (generation) of genomes, evaluate them using  some fitness function, and produce the next generation from the fittest using reproduction and mutation.  (This site is a neat application of this idea.)  Your algorithm ignores the 'reproduction' part of evolution, relying only on mutation to improve fitness.  Survival of the fittest amoeba?

One intuitive way to think about this is that you're trying to maximize a function (basically, kill speed) on a high-dimensional surface* (each genome/deck is a point on the surface).  Mutation changes each deck slightly, moving it a small distance.  Combining two successful decks generates a large movement along this surface.  Relying solely on mutation means that it's possible to get stuck in a local maximum instead of bumping out of that and on to a larger global maximum**.  I suspect this may be why you're seeing successful 8-land decks.

But yeah, post your code when you're able.  I'd be interested to see it and might help convert it to a more reasonable language (seriously, C64 Basic on an emulator? Nowadays?).

@People bashing the unrealism of this: yes, it's not like real Magic.  That's fine.  We all understand this.  That doesn't mean it's not producing interesting results, the source of which I wish to determine.

* four independent variables (1-, 2-, 3-, and 4- drops) and two dependent variables (land and fitness).
** similar to running simulated annealing with too low a temperature. 

GLASIR:

I've been suggested to learn different programming laguages over the time, but I work a lot and have about 4 hours of sparetime at home. And I haven't found anyone able to write a program like mine whom also had the time to teach me what I wanted specifically

I had a discussion with one of you, why he personally optimized 1 card at a time when testing which I told him would land him on a wrong evolutionary peak a lot of the time

My solution to this was by letting multiple mutations become possible (+1 mutation when it rolls 1 on the dice + repaet until 2-6 is rolled) which would offer the deckscape a way to jump to other peaks nearby, sometimes even jumping pretty far.

The most interresting problem I had was what I called "the lost valley-syndrome" at that point both decks were chosen at random so that sometimes individual decks would not see action for a long time and become like trapped dinosaurs in modern times. This is not so relevant for this sim, but I wanted to solve it for good anyway and so I started to let deck a follow a cycle by playing these in order from 1-1000.

Another problem I found and never solved was "The garden of eden syndrome". Since the whole program started by being seeded from a single deck into 1000 by individually mutating them all, the whole population would settle into high peaks  based on the 1 original deck's position in the fitness-scape and if that was positioned in a bad place chances were they would all end up in nearby and not very perfect parts of the landscape. There is no way to tell which startingplace in the landscape which is best because thats what you want to know because you don't, so it's a game of chasing faster and faster solutions until you find the fastest one. IF you do       

Now onto why 8-landers were breed!

I did cover the reason of why they exist in the article itself, but I will try to explain it from a reproductive angle:

Say we follow 3 decks, two bad 8-turners and one good 6-turner.

the 6turner kills 50% of the time at turn 6 and 50% of the time at turn 7.

The two 8 turners kill 25% at turn 6, 25% at turn 7 and 50% at turn 8              

This means that by being more they have a better chance of winning as a group.

That's the easy explanation. I wrote an article covering why it's more complex and how it works.

Will mail it to you         

BAY_FALCONER:

One of the first things I did after making the sim, was to test the results by shuffling a deck built by it an insane number of times and then play it out against a goldfish for real. It did'nt fit in reallife, so I searched for a bug and found it. After that I found some more bugs and finally got results that fit reallife playing against goldfishes.

I've also managed to cause such a disturbance in denmarks magiccommunity that 5 others built a simulator around the same concept. three of these agreed with my results when measuring which decks had the fastest averages, but none of the sims actually shared the same results in the averages!?

two simulators were not even close to the results shared by the three of us, and all programs were in different languages and with different structures. So 3 sims supporting my data is not overwhelming, but I have to say that those other two programmers were heavily against the whole concept from the beginning of it.       

The best result I managed to find is 24 lands, 12 1/x critters, 12 2/x critters 8 3/x critters and 4 4/x critters. This kills a lot on turn 6 and an okay ammount of times on turn 5.

Then imagine if you start picking creatures packing more power for the same mana and you might see why the concept was so alluring to me       

DILLEUX_LEPAIRE:

The deckmemory is a complex reaction to an aspect of the c64 which is unique.

It comes with an inbuild section able to create any number variables by a single command such as dim ab(100) which means that 100 variables called ab(1) ab(2) ab(3) and up to ab(100).

This is something other computers need a program made by someone to create the same set of variables.

Theres also room for only little above 7000 variables in total so using a c64 is very restrictive, so I needed to store a maximum of information in a minimum of variables.

I ended up with a population of 1000 decks, and when a deck is chosen I put it through a programpart that loads only 1 deck at a time so the program can have the 999 others in a frozen/saved form.

All tricks to save space and memory

When the computer plays deck (a) against the goldfish a set number of times  it's average killturn was noted and then deck (b) would be loaded and played too.

The losing deck would be erradicated By a simple operation looking something like:

2000 rem overwriting looser
2001 ca(b)=ca(a)
2002 cb(b)=cb(a)

And so on.

It roughly translates into:

card a in deck b becomes card a in deck a.

The 5 cardtypes are land, 1/x 2/x 3/x and 4/x creatures.                             

After the overwriting a subprogram would mutate the deck with a random amount of mutations like -1 1/x +1 land (All combinations were possible)

Then another subprogram would check if the deck was still legal so no such thing as a negative number of a card could be played. If it was illegal it would try to mutate the same deck until a legal version was found.

After that it would "roll a 6sided dice" f=intrnd(1)*6)+1 and if it was 1 it would try to mutate the deck even more.     

I hope that covers it?

MOIMOI:

A: So you claim evolution is without math?

B: I can use google, but try to google evolution an you wont find anything on memetics or vertical evolution. Memetics because it's not flesh and blood evolution and vertical evolution because it relatively new to the greater public. 

I can give you a qualified explanation of why living fossils are around, something that you will only find weak explanations to in most texts on evolution, which is why it has been targeted by creationists very often. (I do however believe in one or more creators, just not any mentioned by any religions)   That is not such a bad way to show knowhow in evolution considering how many people there are out there studying it! Will you agree in such a proof?

Also that the computer broke down is something I wrote of in phyrexia.com, and I can refer to the name of the post if needed. Anyone less stubborn than you could then take the time to read that post and verify it's existance. Would such a proof also be sufficient for you?

ALL:
After the computer broke down I started a project with real decks and evolution based on multicolor and speciallands. all commons.

It produced some weird stuff that I wrote about...

It only lasted 10 generations but produced some nice results (Casual results)

If there's enough interrest I can copy and paste a bit in the 10 posts I made about it way back in time...       

I've been suggested to learn different programming laguages over the time, but I work a lot and have about 4 hours of sparetime at home. And I haven't found anyone able to write a program like mine whom also had the time to teach me what I wanted specifically

Fair enough, I'm certainly not going to criticize someone for working a lot :-). I only suggest it because a different language would (a) make it easier for people to work with you on simulations, (b) almost certainly run faster, enabling more/better results, and (c) have the same effects on any other programming projects you might have.

Another problem I found and never solved was "The garden of eden syndrome". Since the whole program started by being seeded from a single deck into 1000 by individually mutating them all, the whole population would settle into high peaks based on the 1 original deck's position in the fitness-scape and if that was positioned in a bad place chances were they would all end up in nearby and not very perfect parts of the landscape. There is no way to tell which startingplace in the landscape which is best because thats what you want to know because you don't, so it's a game of chasing faster and faster solutions until you find the fastest one. IF you do

This seems pretty straightforward. Instead of starting with a single deck and mutating it randomly to get your pool of 1000 initial candidates (perturbing its position slightly on the 'landscape'), why not just generate 1000 random decks, or even 1000 spread evenly across the 'landscape'? This shouldn't be too hard but I guess that depends on how you're storing the decks.

It comes with an inbuild section able to create any number variables by a single command such as dim ab(100) which means that 100 variables called ab(1) ab(2) ab(3) and up to ab(100).
This is something other computers need a program made by someone to create the same set of variables.

You mean, arrays? Every other [real] language ever has those.

Theres also room for only little above 7000 variables in total so using a c64 is very restrictive, so I needed to store a maximum of information in a minimum of variables.
I ended up with a population of 1000 decks, and when a deck is chosen I put it through a programpart that loads only 1 deck at a time so the program can have the 999 others in a frozen/saved form.
All tricks to save space and memory

I think this is the part where I again (heavily) recommend a different language. I haven't seen these sorts of restrictions since I stopped writing games for my graphing calculator.

B: I can use google, but try to google evolution an you wont find anything on memetics or vertical evolution. Memetics because it's not flesh and blood evolution and vertical evolution because it relatively new to the greater public. 

I searched for both 'memetics' and 'vertical evolution.' 'Memetics' has a very large number of results, which isn't really surprising given the preponderance of memes on the Internet. I didn't find any particularly reputable references to 'vertical evolution,' but a few sites suggested that 'horizontal' and 'vertical' evolution refer to what's more conventionally known as 'micro-' and 'macro-evolution.' Does this sound right/can you clarify?

I can give you a qualified explanation of why living fossils are around, something that you will only find weak explanations to in most texts on evolution, which is why it has been targeted by creationists very often. (I do however believe in one or more creators, just not any mentioned by any religions) That is not such a bad way to show knowhow in evolution considering how many people there are out there studying it! Will you agree in such a proof?

It would be nice to actually see the explanation instead of just the claim that you can provide one. Also, I would much prefer a coherent exposition on some topic with a widely-accepted explanation. Any crackpot can come up with a halfway-coherent description of how some unknown process works; giving such an explanation doesn't show that you understand the core concepts. To clarify: We don't care if you have some deep understanding of an esoteric part of the topic. We want good evidence that you clearly understand the basics, as that's all your simulations require.

--
I think I might finally get how you're running the simulations. Does this sound accurate?

1. Generate an initial pool of 1000 decks by starting with just 1 and mutating it into many variations.
2. At each iteration/generation:
  3. For each of the 1000 decks:
    4. Choose a random deck to play it against.
    5. For each of the two decks 'competing,' simulate several games against a goldfish.
    6. Overwrite the deck with the higher average kill turn with the other deck.
And that's it. Eventually the simulation gets stopped.

Compare to a more typical genetic algorithm approach:
1. Generate an initial pool of 1000 random decks.
2. At each iteration/generation:
  3. For each of the 1000 decks, simulate several games against a goldfish to determine its average kill turn.
  4. Generate a new pool of 1000 decks using some combination of the following:
    4a. Keep the N decks with the best average kill turn ('the N best decks').
    4b. Mutate the N best decks.
    4c. Have the N best decks reproduce in some way (say, pairwise averaging) to create new decks.
    4d. Make entirely new random decks, possibly with some weighting to make these similar to the N best decks.
And then eventually stop the simulation. This has a few advantages over what you're doing: 

• Starting from a single one and mutating it provides an initial sample closely clustered on the 'landscape.' Starting with a random selection gives a wider variation and is more likely to find the global extrema.

• Your simulation involves only pairwise competition. This means that weak decks can be 'lucky,' get paired up against even weaker decks, and survive many generations. Too many candidates and too few generations makes this very possible. In the genetic algorithm approach, decks basically compete against every other deck to see which is the best, eliminating this possibility.

• As I mentioned before, mutating a deck only moves it slightly along the 'landscape'. Combining two decks provides a larger movement, which can get the deck out of a local extrema.

• The introduction of randomly-generated decks at a point other than initialization gives more variation between generations, which can be good. Note that you shouldn't do too much randomization or it basically turns into a random search, which is terrible.

Lastly, note that it's impossible to win before turn 5 under your constraints, since you can't play creatures with total power greater than N on turn N, so in the best case your opponent's life total goes 20 -> 19 -> 16 -> 10 -> 0.

... whoa.  That was a much longer post than I intended. 

A day in the life of Glasir:

Wake up.
Eat muffins.
Solve for the theory of everything.
Watch some bad tv.
Go to sleep. 

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
That is actually disturbingly accurate.

Well this whole thing is an old version of the program, but if we cut away the barrier of programminglanguage it leaves us with the structure of the program itself which almost anyone with experience in sims can do with some tests in between to check on results. If anyone are willing it could become a shared project leading to some shareware?

No matter how the decks are distributed on the fitnessscape it takes pure chance for this version to get to a peak. A better solution would be to let winners be copied with a rare chance of mutations instead of with direct descendants, but this is what I covered with the announcement that I was trying to trace the perfect rate of mutations and the perfect amount of mutations to use on a tournament deck. Longterm task without a comp, I can assure you

vertical evolution is the clasic. Father and mother spawns a child with mutations and fun stuff happens.

Horisontal evolution happens when bacteria and virus cuts snippets of dna out of one species and puts it into another, something which happens quite frequently. That turns clasic evolution into a hodgepodge when you try to figure out how everything is related...

Regarding genetical evolution vs mutational evolution I've competet against someone using that type of algorithms, while I used my own stuff. I constantly beat his highscore in killrates by altering between an optimization version AND the version we are discussing in this post. Even when he told me I couldn,t possibly take it further

Having different types of evolution will probably be the best way to do it all

Ah, you meant vertical/horizontal gene transfer.  Gotcha. 

MOIMOI:

A: So you claim evolution is without math?

B: I can use google, but try to google evolution an you wont find anything on memetics or vertical evolution. Memetics because it's not flesh and blood evolution and vertical evolution because it relatively new to the greater public. 

I can give you a qualified explanation of why living fossils are around, something that you will only find weak explanations to in most texts on evolution, which is why it has been targeted by creationists very often. (I do however believe in one or more creators, just not any mentioned by any religions)   That is not such a bad way to show knowhow in evolution considering how many people there are out there studying it! Will you agree in such a proof?

Also that the computer broke down is something I wrote of in phyrexia.com, and I can refer to the name of the post if needed. Anyone less stubborn than you could then take the time to read that post and verify it's existance. Would such a proof also be sufficient for you?

A- Dont try to twist my words into something I didnt write. I just want to see math in YOUR simulation, I never talked about evolution. This is the reason why I will continue to be relentless, my questions are always without ambiguity and your answer are often very ambiguous.

B- Seriously, do you even read what I write. The links are there to fix your programming problems.

As for bringing religion and personnal beliefs in this, it's certainly not helping your cause and it's obviously not answering my quetion, again.

On the bright side, you are finally bringing more than wild claims to your posts, there's actually proof of genuine work showing through! I'm glad I insisted for so long so that we can finally see something that's closer to an actual simulation result, it's still very far from the results/proofs I'm expecting of someone that makes such wild claims, but it's still better than before

Semi-good proof : Actually explaining the program, which should had been done in the very first post, we still dont have the program, but at least we got somewhat an explanation of the program (sadly glasir gave a better explanation with his speculation)

Bad proof : 5 people that we've never heard of, made a similar simulation as you did and you compared results. This isnt even a proof of concept, it's just another wild claim untill it's proven. Is it so hard to include links? I mean you always love to say that you could include links.... DO IT!! INCLUDE THEM!!! I've been asking that for months!
I still don't understand why you guys let WDM take you for a ride in his troll-mobile every week.
I took 1 semester long computational intelligence course with genetic algorithms covering, maybe at max, 3 weeks and with that miniscule amount of education can immidiately poke all sorts of holes in your "simulation". Luckily for me (I am exceptionally lazy) I don't need to because many people have already done so. Assuming you are not trolling (and this is exceptionally doubtful ... no-one could be that stubborn in the face of overwhelming evidence ... could they?) and are interested in real results then you should reevaluate your understanding of what it is you are trying to do.

If, on the other hand, this is just something to keep you busy and have fun with (much like building with Lego, folding origami models or practicing magic tricks) then go ahead and have fun. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
My nascent writing journal/blog can be found here.
Sign In to post comments