Montgomery Burns Character or "I can't believe my friends want this character"

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so, I told my D&D group that while I was out here in Afghanistan, I had been making characters for Star Wars Saga Edition to pass the time, but that I wanted to get back into making D&D characters.  The only problem was, I didn't have any inspiration, so I asked them to come up with ideas of what I should make.

While they were figuring it out, I made the lightning-based teleporter that's already up on the boards.  While I was making that, the decision was made that my next character to make was to be: "Montgomery Burns (complete with hounds)".

So, if anyone would like to assist me with this challenge, it would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know how I'm going to represent him.  The only aspect I can think of focusing on is the hounds, so I'm going to look into everyway to get an animal follower that is a dog.  Other than that, I can't think of anything MB has done that could remotely resemble combat, so I'm thinking hybrid BeastRanger|Lazylord.  I'll try looking into that, but in the mean time, please feel free to post any ideas of what should be included.

Thanks in advance to all my fellow COers.   
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Fey beast Tamer BeastRanger|Sentinel mc Shaman?  Blink Dog, two wolves, and a ghost dog.  How can you go wrong?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Fey Beast Tamer with a blink dog should be part of it.
I was just looking at themes, because I knew there were some that gave you animals.  I would think that Animal Master with a dog would be more fitting, but I suppose a Blink Dog could work too, and I know how popular Fey Beast Tamer is because of CA.
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
BeastRanger|Sentinel it is.  MC Shaman for a spirit dog, I assume?
Sig
Original CharOpper
I think the Beastranger idea works but I'd be doing it to call the beast "smithers" and make it do all the attacking.  Alternatively yes go Lazylord and just call anyone you make attack "smithers" regardless of their character name.
That's a good point about a Lazylord and a part of "Smithers".  It would mean giving up 1 animal companion, but that's perfectly acceptable.

So, which hybrid is better for animal companion use?  Sentinel or Ranger?  The Ranger has to use up the Hybrid feat for it's animal companion, but I think the Sentinel doesn't have an animal attack without the Hybrid feat as well. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
If this isn't intended to be particularly practical, PMC shaman and pick up a 2nd hybrid talent for free. (Or paragon-hybrid, if that exceeds your cheese threshhold)

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I think when you're making a character based off of Montgomery Burns, there is no cheese threshold.  Feel free to pull no punches Laughing
Sig
Original CharOpper
What ability scores are we looking at here?  I don't know enough about Beastmaster Rangers to know what stats they care about.  Is it Wis?

I know Warlords usually like Str, but that isn't true for Lazylords is it?  What about Warlord secondary?  I know Int and Cha are the typical choices, but which one is better for the Lazylord?
Sig
Original CharOpper
Alternatively yes go Lazylord and just call anyone you make attack "smithers" regardless of their character name.

I wholeheartedly second this suggestion.
Well, for my suggestion of Sentinel|Ranger mc Shaman, you PMC for the shaman lazy power.  Sentinel all uses Wis, Ranger would be Dex for ranged powers/running away. (You won't actually use any of the beast combined attacks).

Sword of Hevestar, because you will have CA (forget which of the fey beasts that is, but refluff it to a dog) and you will have allies.

I'm going with the Human Lazylord|Beastranger angle right now.  At-wills chosen are: Predator Strike, Commander's Strike, and Direct the Strike.  MC Shaman, chose the Spirit's Prey power.  Hybrid talented for Beastmaster from Ranger.

Should I try to get Hybrid Talent again?  Is having the Warlord presence feature worth giving up a PP? 
Sig
Original CharOpper
Actually, I'm pretty close to just making him a straight Resourceful Lazylord.  Then he might actually be useful.  The Theme and MC Shaman would be enough for the "pack of dogs" in my opinion.
Sig
Original CharOpper
Ok, here is how he turned out.  Feel free to make critiques for improvement:

Build

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Monty Burns, level 30
Human, Warlord (Marshal), Infernal Strategist, Warmaster
Build: Resourceful Warlord
Warlord Option: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence Option: Resourceful Presence
Pliable Command Option: Tactical Presence
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Associate: Trained Blink Dog
Occupation - Merchant (Bluff class skill)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 26, WIS 15, CHA 26

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 13, CHA 16

AC: 47 Fort: 46 Ref: 48 Will: 48
HP: 169 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +28, Diplomacy +28, Heal +22, History +28, Intimidate +28, Nature +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +23, Athletics +14, Dungeoneering +17, Endurance +15, Insight +19,
Perception +17, Religion +23, Stealth +15, Streetwise +23, Thievery +15

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Spirit's Prey
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Vengeance is Mine
Warlord Utility 2: Adaptive Stratagem
Warlord Utility 6: Reorient the Axis
Warlord Attack 9: Warlord's Recovery
Warlord Utility 10: Instant Planning
Infernal Strategist Attack 11: Deciever's Ploy
Infernal Strategist Utility 12: Flexible Authority
Warlord Attack 13: Pincer Maneuver
Warlord Utility 16: Decisive Timing
Warlord Attack 17: We Will Not Fail
Infernal Strategist Attack 20: Smite of Devil's Luck
Warlord Utility 22: Rush of Battle
Warlord Attack 25: Warlord's Resurgence
Warmaster Utility 26: Spring the Trap (epic)
Warlord Attack 27: A Plan Comes Together
Warlord Attack 29: Perfect Front

FEATS
Level 1: Spirit Talker
Level 1: Ninth Legion Student
Level 2: Imaginative Reaction
Level 4: Improved Inspiring Word
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Lend Strength
Level 10: Mark of Healing
Level 11: Reserve Maneuver
Level 12: Combat Commander
Level 14: Fight On
Level 16: Lend Might
Level 18: Tactical Feint
Level 20: Tactical Assault
Level 21: Martial Mastery
Level 22: Supreme Inspiration
Level 24: Shared Resources
Level 26: Epic Fortitude
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Epic Reflexes

ITEMS
Healer's Voidhide +6 x1
Battlemaster's Hand crossbow +3
Trollhide Bracers (epic tier) x1
Boots of Eagerness x1
Gloves of the Healer (epic tier) x1
Golden Crown of Battle Command x1
Torc of Power Preservation +6 x1
Ring of Tenacious Will x1
Ring of Free Time x1
Diamond Cincture (epic tier) x1
Battle Standard of Healing
Salve of Power
Endless Quiver
Chieftain's Short spear +1 x1
Light Shield x1
Power Jewel
Elven Chain Shirt (epic tier)
Tourmaline Turtle
====== End ======

Here is the description I gave to my group:

Monty Burns is done: He is a Lazylord (no attacks, unless he can benefit from missing [i.e.: distracts them by daintily slapping in their general direction]). He directs other people to attack, move, etc. Gives bonuses to hit and dmg with granted attacks. He calls all his allies "Smithers", and often commands/demands impossible feats: "Smithers, disarm that nuke with your teeth".

He has a trained Blink Dog and a Spirit Hound as his "hounds".

He is a pretty good healer with Inspiring Word, grants saves and temp HP.

He wields a spear and shield (think priceless indian artifacts that he precariously takes into combat) and also has a "gun" (hand crossbow).

He also has a model of the "Spruce Moose" (Tourmaline Turtle). He often insists that everyone should "get in the moose". [As we all know, the Spruce Goose was a seaplane, hence the Tourmaline Turtle that can travel in water, and that it pretty much couldn't fly, like the turtle].
Sig
Original CharOpper
Would it be possible to fit in a psion multiclass and make him a thrallherd? And have Smithers being the thrall. Or would that be too farfetched?
If you are looking to make your party do more damage then you might consider refluffing the owlbear to be a large wardog or something.  The benefit of the blink dog, aura1 and any ally in the aura can teleport to any other square in the aura, is good but the owlbear giving +2 damage vs targets in the aura would fit along the lines of having the party do more damage to those who you command to be attacked.
My take on Burns? He's a Controller through and through, it's not about giving people bonuses, it's about making them do what you want them to do. Human Mage Nethermancer|Enchanter (or Red Wizard) get your hounds from MC Shaman or some figurine of wonderous power. Smithers is totally a Coure Attendant familiar. PP being Planeshaper for encounter trap door levers (Banish)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
If you want to go MC Psion and Thrallherd, it would mean giving up the MC Shaman, so you'd be down to just the hound from the theme, and giving up Infernal Strategist, which from what I understand is a really good PP for a Resourceful Warlord.

While it would be a bit more flavorful to actually HAVE Smithers built into the build, I don't think it would be really worth it.

I guess what it comes down to is, how much flavor do you want, and how OP do you want it to be.  There will always be trade-offs between OP and flavor (except for those pieces that are both of course).

I like the idea more of the other players in the party being "Smithers", but to each their own.

As for the Owlbear...I suppose that could work.  I was already flavoring the blink dog as a hound that got into the local toxic waste dump and had mutated, so why not. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
seemt to me mr burns would be a revenant...

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It would be fun to make a Homer Simpson character to go with him, but I don't think it's legal to put an 8 in all your ability scores.
Er?  Homer clearly has an pre-racial 18 in Con, and a semi-decent cha.  It's just all the other ability scores.  And the lack of any class, feats, or skills.

I agree with Zathris that Burns should be mostly a controller. I'd say Human Psion|Warlord/Thrallherd/Planeshaper, MC Shaman. Starting stats: STR 8, CON 11 (he did survive being shot), DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 14 (nothing suggests that this must be low; it also happens to be required for Shaman MC), CHA 10.

Focus on debuffing powers for the Psion side (especially psychic ones), and lazylord powers on the Warlord side. Planeshaper lets you recreate all his little tricks and such (like the trapdoor lever - Astral Critical). Fey Beast Tamer gives one dog, MC Shaman gives another, and Thrallherd gives Smithers.

Revenant might be a funnier race, but the stats don't line up at all, and one thing I like about my version is that it's actually very playable.

As for Homer's stats...STR 11, CON 20, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14 would be my choice. Maybe something like a Battlemind|Fighter (Battlerager!), uses things like Lodestone Lure to force enemies to attack him and then boosts HP/THP/surge value as much as possible so he outlasts anything.
Er?  Homer clearly has an pre-racial 18 in Con, and a semi-decent cha.  It's just all the other ability scores.  And the lack of any class, feats, or skills.

Hmm....Homer as a battlemind? Defeating enemies with the power of beer and donuts?
Revenant might be a funnier race, but the stats don't line up at all, and one thing I like about my version is that it's actually very playable.

True.

It just seems like Mr. Burns is unkillable.  I'm pretty sure there was an episode about him being immune to disease too.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I feel I need to point out that "Excellent" should be his Inspiring Word
Ever play the Simpson's arcade game? Mr. Burns rides around in a mecha-suit punching and launching mini-nuclear bombs. Would be interesting to try to build that incarnation too.
Ever play the Simpson's arcade game? Mr. Burns rides around in a mecha-suit punching and launching mini-nuclear bombs. Would be interesting to try to build that incarnation too.

Also a Wizard!
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments