Druid animal companion and class levels

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
     I've aquired a blink dog as an animal companion and since his intelligence is high enough to take class levels I was wondering the best way to do it.  I'm not sure if there are specific rules but I'd imagine I'd share xp with him and he would progress in both animal companion levels and class levels or just class levels.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this work I'f greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

IK2
     I've aquired a blink dog as an animal companion and since his intelligence is high enough to take class levels I was wondering the best way to do it.  I'm not sure if there are specific rules but I'd imagine I'd share xp with him and he would progress in both animal companion levels and class levels or just class levels.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this work I'f greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

IK2

The specific rules don't exist because, while having near-human intelligence, it's still an animal.  It would have to be Awakened and gain sentience before it can take class levels.

Two... Ah ah ah! Three.. Ah ah ah! Four... Ah ah ah! Six... Ah ah ah!!
88534793 wrote:
Punctuation exists for a reason, and your neglect of the shift key is to the point where Social Services should be involved.

Cheers

IK2

The specific rules don't exist because, while having near-human intelligence, it's still an animal.  It would have to be Awakened and gain sentience before it can take class levels.

The rules don't exist because it's a magical beast, not an animal, and can't normally become an animal companion.

If the DM is allowing a blink dog as an animal companion, you'd have to ask them about how they're handling it.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.