Playing DnD the "Real" way for the first time, need help with confusing character stuff.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
This book has all this info spread out all over the place and its really frustrating. How do you guys do it?

The first character is a Halfling Rogue built with the heroes of the forgotten lands book.

Thief build.

I chose 14 str
11 con
16 dex
10 int
10 wis
14 cha

Trained in Athletics
Acro
Stealth
Thievery
Perception
and bluff

(First question, since my dex is 16 does that give me a +3 mod + 5 on the training of acro stealth and thievery?)

I have NO idea how to calc initiative, so I guessed with some out there info I found in the book with a +2

6 speed

12 AC ????????
+1 fort
+3 Reflex
+2 will

+3 attack bonus Dagger 1d4 (EVERY other thing gets a 1dsomething +something.. What is the + something? Is the +3 from my weapon proficiency? Did I do that right?

+2 sling 1d6 damage (A sling doing more damage than a dagger?!)

23 hp bloodied 11 (What does bloodied do anyway? Tell people you have half damage left? Whats the point?)

5 healing surge value calculated with 1/4 of 23.....I hate math.

7 surge per day.

Powers and feats (No idea how you guys memorise these things.. They all seem to do the same mundane things. Why would I want to shift away from a monster when I just have to run right back up to it again to stab it next round?)

2nd chance
Sneak attack
Backstab
Weapon Finesse
1st strike

Tricks
Ambush trick (Can I use this in addition to sneak attack for the bonus on the same turn?)
Escape Artist

FEAT
Weapon Training SLING

Stuff
Leather armor
Dagger
Adv kit
Sling stones (80)
Grap hook
Thief Tools
Rations 10 days
Sling

Please let me know the mistakes I made and tell me how to fix them.. Also, info on how to tactically play a rogue would be helpfull.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Crap, I had a nice reply half way written and then firefox decided Backspace should back up a page

I don't have time to rewrite it all, so here are some quick notes, and maybe someone else can chime in and help

Stats: you forgot your racial bonus to Dex and your choice of Con or Charisma.
You might also want to consider a different array which will put Int or Wisdom to 8.

Defenses
AC = 16 (10 + 2 for leather armor + 4 dex)
Fort = 12 (10 + 2 Str modifier)
Reflex = 16 (10 + 2 class bonus + 4 dex)
Will = 12 (10 + 2 Cha modifier)

Initiative bonus = 4 for dexterity.

All of those go up by 1 at every even level.

attacks:
Dagger attack = 1d20 + 3 proficiency + 3 Dex  = 1d20+6
  Add an additional 3 when you use backstab
  Dagger Damage = 1d4 + 3 Dex + 2 Weapon Finesse
Plus any backstab and sneak attack extra damage

Sling attack = 1d20 + 2 proficiency + 3 Dex = 1d20 +5 (plus +3 if used with back stab)
Damage = 1d6 + 3 Dex + 2 Weapon Finesse) + extra damage from backstab and sneak attack

HP:

Your math is right.  Bloodied means you are at or below half your HP.  Some powers/effects trigger on a target being bloodied or not bloodied.  Many monsters automatically user a power or recharge a power when they become bloodied.
  Also, if your HP get to your negative bloodied value (-11 in your case) you die.

Feat:

I'm not sure what feat you mean by Weapon Training Sling.  Did you mean Sling Expertise?  If so, that would increase your sling attack roll by 1.

Ambush Trick does work with Sneak Attack and Backstab as long as you use it before your attack, that's the whole point.  That's also why lots of your attacks abilities do things like let you attack and move away - then you may be free to move again the next turn without provoking attacks, and it gives you positional defense, as you are sort of squishy. 
  Note that when you use a trick, you don't actually have to move anywhere

Also, whenever you do Backstab, you also do Sneak Attack damage, because both require the target to be granting combat advantage.  The difference is you can do the backstab bonus only once per encounter, while sneak attack is once per turn.

"Making Characters" Heroes of the Fallen Lands, pp. 31-43 for the crunchy stuff (it goes on after that, but talks about Alignment, Personality, Gods, and other things not immediately relevant to character generation).

That section will tell you everything you need to know about how to build a character.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Thanks Zan, really helpful. Also, I dislike the backspace feature in firefox too. Its ruined alot of my posts.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Sign In to post comments