New to magic, tips for deck?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Kyris420

Date Joined: Apr 10, 2012

So, I just recently started playing MTG, I got the Feast of Flesh intro pack as well as a few booster packs, and kind of customized the deck, however because I'm new at this I don't really know how good it is, what cards to look out for, ect my current deck consists of the following.

14 Swamp
9 mountain
1 despise
1 wring flesh
1 disentomb
1 evil presence
1 sorin's thrist
2 geth's verdict
1 go for the throat
1 dismember
1 morbid plunder
1 blood seeker
2 phyrexian rager
2 blistergrub
2 entomber exarch
2 caustic hound
1 chancellor of the dross
2 furance scamp
1 whipflare
1 fling
2 blisterstick shaman
2 tormentor exarch
2 artillerize
1 wrack with madness
1 scoria elemental
2 flameborn viron
1 shrine of burning rage
1 tower of calamities
1 onyx mage

As for other cards that I currently have in my collection I have
1 evil presence
2 parasitic implant
1 enslave
1 deaths caress
1 monomania
1 lifes finale
1 ichor explosion
1 royal assassin
1 whispering spector
1 geralf's messenger
1 reaper of sheoldred
2 mountain
1 fling
1 razor swine
1 blisterstick shaman
1 prodigal pyromancer
1 ogre menial
1 nearheath stalker
1 bonebreaker giant

I do, of course have other cards but, I only really have a decent amount of red and black land cards so, all others are reletively useless.

Copied this over from general, because I didn't see this subforum so..Yea, my bad?

thanks, wasn't sure how to do that..
thanks, wasn't sure how to do that..

A quick cheat in regards to learning code is to quote someone's post that uses it, and pay close attention to what they've done.

As for your deck, add that Life's Finale; Ichor Explosion is tempting as well, considering the power of some of your guys.  To bad that I.E. costs so much to cast.

I would try to tighten up the deck by running more copies of certain cards, and fewer or no copies of others.  Figure out which cards you like best and get more of them - more copies of a card (up to the legal limit of four) helps ensure your seeing them in a game.

Also, black removal is solid, but red provides Lightning Bolt and Incinerate, which can be used against your opponent's dome, unlike most black removal.  Black provides card draw, an easily-acquired one being Sign in Blood.  The more cards you draw per game, the better chance you have of winning.

Lest I forget my favorite BR card, Blightning is NOT standard legal, but oh my, is it a great card.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Tell us what your favourite cards are and maybe we can build a deck around that. Otherwise, I'd suggest adding more of despise, Geth's verdict, phyrexian rager and you can never go wrong with a playsets of lightning bolts and terminates. ;)
Tell us what your favourite cards are and maybe we can build a deck around that. Otherwise, I'd suggest adding more of despise, Geth's verdict, phyrexian rager and you can never go wrong with a playsets of lightning bolts and terminates. ;)

Sorry, been really busy lately..

If I had to pick, I'd say me favorite is chancellor of the dross, and I'm rather fond of vampires..I've gotten a few more packs and bought a few singles I've found here and there to try to build a vampire deck but I've not had much time to test it out in different situations.

Currently I'm running

11x Mountain
19 swamp
2 shrine of burning rage
2 geth's verdict
2 tormentor exarch
2 wrack with madness
2 artillerize
2 avacyn's collar
2 blistergrub
2 stromkirk captain
ruthless invasion
shock
child of night
morbid plunder
vengeful vampire
markov blademaster
despise
scoria elemental
chancellor of the dross
increasing ambition
wring flesh
goblin fireslinger
fires of undeath
stromkirk noble
bloodlord of vaasgoth
dismember
sorin's thirst
black cat
rakish heir
go for the throat
blood seeker
disentomb
nearheath stalker
bloodrage vampire

So, I have a good number of cards in my collection that, typing all that alone kind of made my fingers numb so, maybe once I get the feeling back until then, cards already posted to add/take away would be nice, and yea, its 70 cards instead of 60 but there were a few I wanted to add that I coulden't find anything to take out so I just said..eh, **** it, its not against the rules anyway..
First thing I would do is cut the number of lands and get rid of all of the non-vampire creatures. Then I would add playsets of the recommended noncreature spells listed above (Blightning, Lightning Bolt and Terminate), and add more of the better vampires.

Lands (24)
10x Mountain
14x Swamp

Creature spells (20)
1x Chancellor of the Dross
4x Stromkirk Captain
1x Blood Seeker
1x Stromkirk Noble
1x Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
1x Vengeful Vampire
1x Markov Blademaster
1x Bloodrage Vampire
1x Nearheath Stalker
1x Rakish Heir
1x Child of Night
3x Vampire Hexmage
3x Vampire Nighthawk

Noncreature spells (16)
4x Geth's Verdict
4x Blightning
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Terminate

It would also help to know what your budget is.
Well right now I have like 25 bucks, but I usually end up spending somewhere between 30 and 40 a week on cards, not much but it gets me a good collection.

also, now having feeling back in my fingers, in my collection I have(only black, red and artifact for obvious reasons)

2 mortis dogs
2 dementia bat
2 blind zealot
2 doom blade
2 parasitic implant
2 evil presence
2 reap the seagraf
2 undying evil
2 phyrexian rager
2 caustic hound
2 entomber exarch
enslave
liliana's specter
falkenrath torturer
call to the grave
sightless ghoul
life's finale
ichor explosion
death's caress
monomania
whispering specter
reaper of sheoldred
royal assassin
gravepurge
skirsdag flayer
distress
hideous visage
despise
onyx mage
fiend of the shadows - mostly likely going to add to my deck, I honestly can't remember why its not..
pith driller
necrogen scudder
2 fling
3 russet wolves
2 faithless looting
wall of torches
scorch the fields
blisterstick shaman
bonebreaker giant
prodigal pyromancer
ogre menial
razor swine
hinterland hermit
flameborn viron
3 furnace scamp
talons of falkenrath
immerwolf
act of treason
afflicted deserter
ruthless invasion
whipflare
torch fiend
gremlin mine
2 evolving wilds
kiln walker
silver myr
swiftfoot boots
warden of the wall
jar of eyeballs
mindcrank
2 thran golem
2 warlord's axe
2 myr superion
2 sickleslicer
2 copper carapace
alloy myr
darksteel relic
2 brass squire
blinding souleater
druidic satchel
necropouncer
tower of calamities
scepter of empires
kraken's eye
5 hovermyr
argentum armor
viridian claw
dismember I'm not too sure about adding my second dismember, mostly because its a promo and I want to keep it mint, and even using card sleeves they can get alittle roughed up.

Also, theres one thing about the stromkirk captain's I have in my deck that I'm unsure of, do they give the +1/+1 to each other if I have two on the field? and does it stack? so if I have four, everything effectively has a +4/+4?

Also, theres one thing about the stromkirk captain's I have in my deck that I'm unsure of, do they give the +1/+1 to each other if I have two on the field? and does it stack? so if I have four, everything effectively has a +4/+4?

Yes that's correct. Except it affects other creatures, so say 2 stromkirk captain are out, they each are only 3/3. I'm running with something similar, at least a similar theme with red black vampires and am a VERY new player to Magic. I've played with friends over the last week with it and were all very impressed. They play with mostly older cards within a few years old but it held up with the competition and won many games. I've had a lot of luck with the quick red and black instant discards as it gives you options to actually live and get through if needed. 

8 mountain
10 swamp
2 dragonskull summit
2 woodland cemetery

2 stromkirk noble
3 vampire interloper
3 blood seeker
4 stromkirk captain
2 rakish heir
1 vampire nighthawk
2 olivia voldaren
2 kalastria highborn
3 bloodline keeper ............. do I ever like this card!
1 anowon, the ruin sage

2 tragic slip
1 urge to feed
1 feast of blood
1 geth's verdict
3 grasp of darkness
1 ancient grudge ............ would like to get 1 or 2 more perhaps, can be very handy in my eyes
4 doom blade
4 lightning bolt 

Most of these cards were pulled through the 2 fat packs I bought to get into collecting then I pieced some other like Bloodline Keeper and Olivia Voldaren for only $20 total at a local shop, worth the price for the cards and how they work with the deck.
Well right now I have like 25 bucks, but I usually end up spending somewhere between 30 and 40 a week on cards, not much but it gets me a good collection.

To be honest, that's a *lot* of money.

My advice: stop buying boosters and random assortments, and take a look at the decklist I posted. Terminate is almost always better than Dismember, and they're cheaper.

To be honest, that's a *lot* of money.

My advice: stop buying boosters and random assortments, and take a look at the decklist I posted. Terminate is almost always better than Dismember, and they're cheaper.

I'll check 'em out next time I go to the card shop I play at which, of obvious reasons will most likely be this friday - or next, depending.

I really prefer buying cards in person then ebay.
the best tip I can give you is to research lots of the casual decks posted on here, or some of the standard decks in tourney forum, and take a look at how they are built. Read the card effects carefully, look up what they do if you need to, and see how the cards compliment one another as often as possible.

also, if you want to build any kind of play deck, its usually best to go to the gatherer, figure out how it works, and look for cheap cards on there (using a seperate price checker) because it gives you a much bigger inventory to look into, rather than just what you own.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
the best tip I can give you is to research lots of the casual decks posted on here, or some of the standard decks in tourney forum, and take a look at how they are built. Read the card effects carefully, look up what they do if you need to, and see how the cards compliment one another as often as possible.

also, if you want to build any kind of play deck, its usually best to go to the gatherer, figure out how it works, and look for cheap cards on there (using a seperate price checker) because it gives you a much bigger inventory to look into, rather than just what you own.

So, I took this advice and, looked around a bit, I found a few cards I like and, I honestly feel like I'm over doing a few of their numbers as in how many of each card I have but I came up with this, not counting mana which I'll probably use a 10/14 mountain to swamp split.

4 stromkirk noble
4 stromkirk captain
2 bloodline keeper
2 rakish heir
1 blood seeker
1 bloodlord of vaasgoth
3 vampire nighthawk
2 bloodline keeper

4 geth's verdict
4 lightning bolt
4 Terminate
4 blightning

I also feel like I should have a few more 1 drop monsters as well, I'm a little interested in Guul Draz assassin amd guul draz vampire Yea they're 1/1, but can you complain for 1 drops? but their abilities make them seem rather useles when combined with something like stromkirk captain, and I'm thinking about keeping artillerize as well just because even if you have to sacrifice a monster, 5 damage is A LOT.

I also feel like I should have a few more 1 drop monsters as well, I'm a little interested in Guul Draz assassin amd guul draz vampire Yea they're 1/1, but can you complain for 1 drops? but their abilities make them seem rather useles when combined with something like stromkirk captain, and I'm thinking about keeping artillerize as well just because even if you have to sacrifice a monster, 5 damage is A LOT.

Guul Draz Assassin amd Guul Draz Vampire are both great picks, and I'd recommend taking out Blood Seeker and Rakish Heir to facilitate either vampire's insertion.

As for Artillerize, it might be a good idea to compare it to Lightning Bolt. Lightning Bolt costs one mana and deals 3 damage. For three more mana and sacrificing a creature, you can deal an additional 2 damage with Artillerize. I don't think it's worth it.
Personally I was comparing Lightning bolt to shock, one more damage for the same mana cost, where as artillerize doesn't have too much to compare.
So, I just realized last time I posted..I put a card twice so, heres the revised(for the millionth time) list of what I'm thinking about doing, I've also changed a few things to add Guul Draz assassin and vampire.

4 stromkirk noble
4 stromkirk captain
2bloodline keeper
2 guul draz vampire
2 guul draz assassin
1 bloodlord of vaasgoth
2 vampire nighthawk
2 Vampire Hexmage

4 geth's verdict
4 lightning bolt
4 Terminate