Rogue- 2 At wills? That's it?!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
When I select Rogue (1st level), I am only getting to select 2 at wills? Is this right?
Did you select Rogue (Scoundrel) or Rogue (Thief)?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Hmmm well I think Thief, is there a difference in the number of starting powers between the two? Sorry, I was a 4e guy from the beginning but havn't played for over a year. My kid made a character and we were like, wha?!
Yes, there's a very big difference there.  The Thief is a different build that relies on Melee Basic Attacks pretty much exclusively; you want to select the Scoundrel.
Ok well things change I guess. The advancement table from the phb says 2/1/1/0. Has essentials pretty much replaced the original?
Ok well things change I guess. The advancement table from the phb says 2/1/1/0. Has essentials pretty much replaced the original?

No; Essentials are additional options.  They didn't replace anything.  You can have a Scoundrel and a Thief in the same party with no issues whatsoever; they'll play differently, but be of comparable utility and power level.
Very Important Thing: You need to use the 'Custom' button to start creating your character, not the 'New' button. The 'New' button only gives access to Essentials subclasses and options, while 'Custom' allows the full range of D&D 4e classes and options (including the Essentials stuff).

So, click the 'Custom' button, choose the 'D&D Home Campaign' setting, then you should see 'Rogue (Scoundrel)' among the list of classes. That's the type of rogue you want if you want the one from the Player's Handbook. 'Rogue (Thief)' is the one from the Essentials books.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Thank you both. Yes I did choose the custom and home, but chose theif not scoundral. Must be it. :^)
Sign In to post comments