Deathtouch deck guidance please?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone

I am fairly new to MTG, and I have built myself a 65 card deck with a sideboard. Its a Green Blue Black deck, mainly comprised of creatures with deathtouch and infect, and some fatties with trample. I was hoping that you guys could have a look over the deck list and give me some pointers as to which cards you suggest  I put in this deck, as well as which ones dont really fit in.

Main Deck:

Creatures:
1x Pestilent Souleater
1x Phyrexian Juggernaut
1x Pathrazer of Ulamog
1x Chained Throatseeker
1x Blood Seeker
1x Giant Scorpion
1x Gravedigger
1x Vengeful Pharoah
1x Sheoldred, Whispering One
3x Llanowar Elves
2x Glistener Elf
1x Elvish Berserker
1x Skinshifter
1x Scorned Villager
1x Death-Hood Cobra
1x Gnarlid Pack
2x Garruk's Companion
1x Daggerback Basilisk
1x Grazing Gladeheart
1x Mycosynth Fiend
1x Sacred Wolf
2x Sporecap Spider
1x Woodland Sleuth
1x Ondu Giant
1x Festerhide Boar
1x Somberwald Spider
2x Greater Basilisk
1x Baloth Woodcrasher
2x Yavimaya Wurm

Other spells:
1x Golden Urn
1x Curse of Echoes
1x Disentomb
1x Caress of Phyrexia
1x Reclaim
1x Hunger of the Howlpack
1x Canopy Cover
1x Naturalize
1x Growth Spasm
1x Cultivate
2x Feral Contest

Land:
3x Island
4x Swamp
10x Forest

Sideboard:
1x Grafdigger's Cage
1x Golden Urn
1x Bladed Pinions
1x Levitation
1x Mind Control
2x Death Cultist
2x Reassembling Skeleton
1x Scrib Nibblers
1x Markov Patrician
1x Leaf Arrow
1x Orchard Spirit
1x Living Destiny
1x Windstorm

The plan with this deck is to get lots of deathtouch, reach, and infect creatures, and then use spells like Reclaim or creatures like Gravedigger to keep bringing them back each time they die. What cards can you suggest I get to reinforce that theme?

Also, I play casually against a friend of mine that has the dark ascension deck with a few bits and pieces changed. He uses lots of undying creatures, in particular wolves, but he also has Gutter GrimeFlayer of the hateboundRage Thrower, and Lumberknot. They all work with creatures that die, and either make themselves stronger or do damage directly to a creature or player.  In particular Lumberknot is rather frustrating to go up against because my friend doesnt attack or block with him, and being hexproof, I cant touch him with enchantments, spells, or abilities. One time he got Lumberknot up to about 25/25, and I couldn't do anything about it. Even my deathtouch wont work on it, being an ability. Often my friend will also enchant Lumberknot with Trollhide, giving it +2/+2 and regenerate. Does anyone have any tips on how to take it down?

Thanks for your time guys
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
sry but the strategy is bad, deathtouch wont gain you advantage unless you combine it with firststrike and the cards you have for bringing back the creatures are slow and ineffectual. So even in the best scenario your deck will rarely win. and vs many decks your creatures will barely or not at all help you.

you need your strategy to be about how to win or to have flexible failproof control.
Deathtouch works against Lumberknot just fine, as do most sweepers and anything else that doesn't use the word "target". Because only the word "target" makes a spell or ability targeted. (For aura spells and some keyword abilities like equip the "target" is hidden in the rules.) Hexproof is not some universal "can't touch me" ability, it just prevents targeting by an opponent, nothing more. Even the seemingly invincible protection from everything will succumb to Day of Judgment. Just because an object is affected doesn't make it a target, the rules even spell this out explicitly:

114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn‘t make that object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the word "target" in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it‘s not a target.

I sure hope, that's not really only 17 lands in there. And in 3 colors? With a Pathrazer of Ulamog and some rather expensive green fatties in the deck? By the time you have even the fourth land out, any opponent should be ready to just run you over or more likely should already have done so. Seriously, get more lands in there! 24 in a 60 card deck is the guideline to follow for a newly constructed deck, unless there is a very good reason to use significantly less. With 4 mana producing creatures, you might be able to manage with just 23, if you cut down to 60 cards.

Keep to as few colors as you can manage. a 3+ color deck needs to invest a lot of card slots in the deck just to get the colors together. Your blue doesn't contribute anything, that black and green cannot offer also.

The best way to "fix" this deck is to rebuild it from scratch. Put 23-25 lands in there, 22-25 creatures and about 12 other cards, but keep the deck size at 60.

If you want to hose your opponent's deck, you could use Leyline of the Void. If you have it out, none of his creatures will die anymore, they never touch his graveyard but go into exile instead, so undying does nothing and his other death triggers will fire only when your own creatures die.
Deathtough is nice if you work around it. Having stuff like Deadly Allure and Basilisk Collar really help. I put this together to give you an example, I know its not perfect but its built around the focus of creatures with Deathtouch, cards that make your opponent block and since your creatures are probably going to die in the process I added some tokens. The tokens are generated by the amount of creatures in your graveyad and can be flashbacked. Creakwood is there to give your little guys a boost. I tried to keep it some what modern and budgeted. Hope this sparks an idea for you or others.

Creatures
4 Typhoid Rats 4 Ambush Viper 4 Deadly Recluse 3 Kessig Recluse 3 Turntimber Basilisk 2 Vampire Nighthawk 1 Creakwood Liege

Spells
4 Distress 4 Lure4 Deadly Allure 3 Spider Spawning

Artifact
1 Nemesis Mask1 Basilisk Collar

Land
11 Forest 8 Swamp 4 Llanowar Wastes

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Another way to make deathtouch decks are to pack them with pinger's.

Equip with deathtouch, via cards like Quietus Spike, Basilisk Collar or Onyx Mage (just a few examples of many)
You pack the rest of the deck with pinger's like Cunning Sparkmage, Vulshock Sorcerer, Prodigal Pyromancer, Goblin Fireslinger etc.
Equipping a pinger with the collar = dead creature,
pinger + spike = half opponent health.
You can even use somthing like Thornbite Staff (think Lightning Crafter) with the spike, to nail EVERY creature they have -  provided you have enough mana to fuel it.
Pack a few other spells like Banefire to nail your opponent for the win.
Quietus Spike requires the creature to deal combat damage to the player in order to half his life. And the Goblin Fireslinger can only ping players.

But yes, deathtouch with pingers is potent. Kind of interesting, that you didn't mention Viridian Longbow or Goblin Sharpshooter.
Thanks guys.

Rawsugar, thanks to what you said, I have rethought my winning plan a little. The way I want to win most often is by poisoning my opponent, so to do that I will have several infect creatures and spells (like Caress of Phyrexia and Phyrexian Juggernaut). Then to open up my opponent so that the poison tokens can get through, I plan to use deathtouch creatures with first strike as attackers, like a leveled up Nirkana Cutthroat, or Glissa, the Traitor, or even something like my Daggerback Basilisk with Runechanter's Pike (or some other similar artifact or enchantment that makes them gain first strike).

Rezzahan, thank you so much for explaining to me the limitations of hexproof. I have no doubt that that will help me for the rest of my games. With the deck I listed above, I figured that having mana producing creatures was as good as having lands, but I now know I was very wrong. In most of my games I am mana starved at the beginning, and take a huge beating until I can get something out. I am planning to cut blue out of my deck, and make it into a green/black. And there is no doubt that I will be putting a lot more land into my deck. And needless to say, I am rebuilding my deck according to these suggestions. Also, just saw you mention Viridian Longbow. I think equipping that to one of my deathtouch creatures will be very helpful.

Maladroit_, I really like the look of the example deck you put together. I will certainly be using quite a few of those in my new deck. In fact, the only ones I would think twice about would be Distress and Llanowar Wastes. I would probably swap the wastes for Arena, Bayou, Bojuka Bog, Gilt-Leaf Palace, something like that anyway.

Skeindubh, thanks for giving me something to compare with, but I think I will stick with green/black. In truth, I dont really understand how the artillery and cannoneers would work in your favour, unless you equipped the collar on them. Also, thank you very much for putting me onto Sun Droplet, I think I will be putting a couple of those in, just to keep me alive a bit longer if I need it.

Slave, thanks for the pingers idea. I might put a whole bunch of pingers in my sideboard and swap them out for my infect cards if I need to.

All in all, thank you for giving me so much to think about, and sorry it took so long to get back to you all
Ill post an updated deck list once Ive finished it.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Ok, here is the new and improved 60 Card Deck :

25 creature cards

4x Glistener Elf
2x Pestilent Souleater
2x Mycosynth Fiend
2x Phyrexian Juggernaut
3x Typhoid Rats
2x Kessig Recluse
2x Vampire Nighthawk
1x Vengeful Pharaoh
1x Glissa, the Traitor
1x Nirkana Cutthroat
3x Llanowar Elves
2x Creakwood Liege

24 Land cards

10x Forest
8x Swamp
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Heart of Yavimaya
1x Leechridden Swamp
1x Sapseep Forest
1x Springjack Pasture
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

11 Other spell cards.

3x Caress of Phyrexia
2x Lure
2x Bladed Pinions
2x Basilisk Collar
1x Spider Spawning
1x Naturalize

Once again, any tips, comments,  or criticisms would be welcomed.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I would drop the land that comes in to play tapped but thats just me. I feel like I'm playing from behind having to wait for it to untap. Llanowar Elves, are okay but for a deck with more than one color I like Birds of Paradise Plus its a flyer.

Also with Infect you may want to concider these. Grim Affliction Spread the SicknessCore ProwlerContagion Clasp

Good luck.

You can not have a 50/50 deck with 50 infect and 50 non-infect. You will not do enouch poinson damage in time.
Also drop the Pestilent Souleater for something that can do more damage like a Spinebiter  And also pair Mycosynth Fiends with Glistening Oil