Rule of Three questions for next week (4/17)

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all. Usually we grab questions for the Rule of Three articles from ongoing conversations in the various D&D and RPG communities, but I wanted to try something different. This week I wanted to reach out directly and see if you guys had any questions about design or development for 4E or D&D Next.

We can't really tackle questions about the business side of things (ex: Are you going to do something like the OGL for Next?) the future of digital tools or organized play, or specifics about future product releases. So we're sticking to design and development questions.

With that in mind, please reply with whatever design and development questions you may have for 4E or D&D Next. It's unlikely I'll be answering any of them here, but I will be adding those that fit into the above criteria into the pool of questions Rodney takes a stab at for the weekly article.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

What is the developer opinion on how healing surges have turned out working in 4e, and are there any lessons learned that could be applied to Next?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
What thought, if any, have you given to deciding what modular rules go into the initial release and what rules will be released in subsequent supplements?

Illusions can be some of the most creative and game-breaking effects in the game.  How do you plan to balance these two issues?
Is there an attempt to please people who prefer the PHB1 weapon master fighter over the Slayer/Knight style fighter and the fighter of previous editions? I understand you're trying to please folks of all editions, I'm just afraid essentials might get preference when trying to please the 4e crowd.
is the 4e game system license ever going to change or are yall just going to make 5es more lax and ignore 4es altogether

is the 4e game system license ever going to change or are yall just going to make 5es more lax and ignore 4es altogether

This is one of those business type questions that I reference in the initial post, so I won't be adding it to the list.

I'm delighted with Undermountain, and I'd like to ask if there are any plans, for 4e or next, to publish more campaign setting based adventures for example FR, Dark Sunover a wider range of levels. At the moment it feels like all the work has been left to the DM for adventures in campaign specific settings.
The developers have talked about making attribute scores more important.  Why then is the default method for generating those scores going to be rolling?  Why not point buy?  If base scores are more important, won't the random results from rolling put many players at a disadvantage?

"Oh great, I rolled terrible.  Would someone please kill off my character?"
Trevor, this is a serious question, with global impact to pretty much all of the specific topics:

Are you designing the game with a "default" in mind, or do you really mean it when you say that all ways of play are the right way to play?

Now, personally I feel this question has been answered already through various releases, blog posts, and articles, but it would probably do the community good to have it answered in this format.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
have any of you besides perkins ever run an epic game in 4e?

if so, do you feel wizards has given dms enough quality material to balance epic games?

do you think it is reasonable to have to add 30 to every damage expression to challenge an epic tier party?

do you think its reasonable to just hit pcs with 20-30 pts of automatic damage to even come close to challlenging even an all essentials epic tier party?

do you think you have achieved good balance with your damage expressions or do you think they are abysmally off target?

if you agree with how obviously off they are, do you intend to fix it before you move on to 5e?

do you think its a good look to leave a huge chunk of a game unfinished before you move on to another one?

do you think leaving huge chunks of your games completely broken makes customers have faith in the future quality of your products?

do you think you are capable of balancing high level play in 5e? if so why; you make no effort to balance it now, so why do you think you will be able to?

How do you plan on working with different campaign paces?  Some campaigns have 1 battle a week, where as others have several in a day?

How about  abstract time units, (short rest, and extended rest, perhaps a medium rest), which can be varied based on your campaign needs (short rest can be 5 minutes for a fast paced campaign, or a day for a slower paced one).

Or are you going to use time based ones, (seconds, minutes, hours)?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I think this would benefit more from a full post rather than just a Rule of Three paragraph response, but I'd love to see more discussion about critical hits.  

I'd also love to hear about what "rarer" classes are and are not making the cut for 5e.  4e seemed to begin with a mandate that each power source had to have a class filling each of four roles, which gave us some really cool classes that aren't part of the traditional core d&d set, but that I'd miss anyway if they were to just go away.

I'd also like to hear about roles themselves. Do you guys feel they were a success in 4e?  Will they be carried forward?

Last question: Why do you think it's so popular for '4e haters' to liken 4e to WoW and other MMOs? Do you think it's a valid comparison, and, if so, do you think it's a bad thing?
Howdy folks,

I've removed a few posts from the thread that weren't questions for Rule of Three.  Please post only questions you'd like to see answered in next week's Rule of Three article.  Take any discussions or side topics to other threads.

Thanks.  

All around helpful simian

What did you learn from the release schedule in 4e? What would you have done differently? How will you improve the release schedule for d&d next?
If these question have been asked already I appologies.

Will a AEDU wizard and a Vancian wizard be able to sit at the same table?
Will the optional rules for major class mechanics like these be design to be mutual exclusive?

Big Model: Creative Agenda
Reality Refracted: Social Contracts

My blog of Random Stuff 

Dreaming the Impossible Dream
Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke

Back to Product and General D&D Discussions -- because the mobile site is bad.

Thanks much to everyone for all the awesome questions! While we won't be able to get to them all this week of course, I am going to go through all of these, edit/combine some that are similar and add them to the list we work from. I'll continue to grab new questions from ongoing conversations as well, but this will be a big help!

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread down for now, but I'll likely need your help with questions again at some point in the future. When that happens, I'll just start up another thread. Thanks again!