The Dungeon Survival Handbook Excerpt - Types of Dungeons

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D Excerpts
Dungeon Survival Handbook Excerpt
By Bart Carroll

Dungeons hold everything an adventurer could want: untold riches to plunder, new areas to explore, dangerous beasts to challenge, and strange societies to interact with. An ordinary adventurer accustomed to a soft life in the surface world might get a short distance into a dungeon and consider it a glorious victory.

Talk about this Preview here.

Well, I already own Dungeonscape, so it looks like I'm going in for the player options and not much else.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Well, I already own Dungeonscape

What is that?

Dungeonscape was a supplement for the 3.5 edition of D&D, published in February 2007 and designed by Jason Bulmahn and Rich Burlew.

All around helpful simian

And its advice and random tables for dungeon creation are so good, that I use it for 4ed.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

As owner of the old Central Casting Dungeons, Dungeoneer Survival Guide from original AD&D, Dungeon Builders Guidebook from AD&D 2nd, Dungeonscape from 3rd edition, not to mention any sourcebooks that work with Dungeons (such as Underdark 4e).... Unless I see more 4e specific crunch, I am sure I have no need for this product.  I may just use the one released theme and take that into my game as a bonus.  

That said, I will likely finger through it at the game store to see if my opinion changes

I'm sure it will be a great resource for players who don't have the collection I do, but I think for most established players they may be in the same boat I am.  
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
There should be some eye-popping new crunch in this book. 
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!

I hopes so, as 4e winds down some of the material that has been released has been some of the best stuff I've seen - mostly just some complaints (such as page count to dollar ratio on Halls of undermountain, an otherwise AMAZING adventure and sourcebook).

So far I know there are three new races and a handful of themes.  From the Dungeon Makers article I know they are going to talk about scrolls, so depending on the level of crunch there I may be interested in that. 

Hopefully will see a few new monster templates, traps/hazards,  and maybe some other "goodies from D&D past" when the book is released. 

So as long as the Fluff:Crunch ratio is good, and the dollar to page count is fair - I will purchase it. 
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the heads up, and Matt is right, the new preview released today has some awesome crunch in it. Powers for many classes and new skill powers. This is great stuff.

I really like that the new powers are grouped according to theme (small t theme, not Themes but rather all of the powers being linked in concept) because it makes it easier for someone wanting to build a character with a certain flavor to see what options are available to them.