4/10/2012 ReConstructed: "The Druid's Wave"

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

It's pretty nice for sure, with lots of creatures out early your big hitters are going to come out swinging fast, like say things that cost similar to that behemoth that was just previewed.

Seems like a potentially crazy card with tokens.
Seems like a sweet card. Don't see it being that good in standard atm, but this should be sweet in Commander games. 
I got all but two right! Although this week he practically gave it away. Not much of an accomplishment.

One of the two I got wrong was 1x Avacyn's Pilgrim. I guessed 0, because I thought it was a trick question. Nothing else in the maindeck list can even use the white mana. Only later in the article did I see what the use was.
Was I the only one curious where Dungrove Elder went? Seems very strong and one of the creatures most likely to encourage Garruk, Primal Hunter......

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

-1 Forest, +1 Plains

You clearly want Emmisary in at least some matchups, might as well make it work for you. 
-1 Forest, +1 Plains

You clearly want Emmisary in at least some matchups, might as well make it work for you. 

I was thinking the same thing--I was surprised the final list didn't have a Plains so the option would at least be there if needed.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

He's asked a lot, to rebuild while being secretive about the card he's previewing, but he does a great job!
That Lost in the Wood deck one guy submitted is pretty cute.
This card reminds me of Beastmaster Ascension but I think it's not as good. Not that bad, but as other people said, will probably end up being a win-more card most of the time.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Okay, who's the smartass who submitted the Lost in the Woods deck?
I don't know, but he clearly doesn't know how to build a deck..... You need four enchantments for consistency.
It's my sig in a box! -RP Jesus
Show
I... need a filing cabinet. -Quagmire I think I saw Emrakul in a cartoon with Japanese schoolgirls once. It didn't end well. -Qmark Edit: Couldn't find a cookie, so here's an octopus. Enjoy. -Zigeif777
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
grandma pumps the threat she ramps.
If you believe in Jesus and love him and aren't afraid to admit it, put this in your sig. Jun 30, 2010 -- 1:35AM, S1AL wrote: Playing a bad deck in order to be original is like using crappy tools to build something. Not only does it look bad in the end, but nobody really thinks that you're cool for being unwilling to do things the way a professional would.
Look at the card. Now back to Jace. Now back to that card, now back to Jace! Sadly, it isn't Jace, but if it stopped being a junk rare and became relevant, it could act like it's Jace. Crack some Worldwake. What do you have? You have a Jace, the card you wish this card could be like. Look again. THE CARD IS NOW A $75 BILL. Anything possible when you play Magic with Jace and not junk rares.
Hello friends, foes, and Storm Crow fanatics alike!

Just dropping by to answer a couple of questions.

-1 Forest, +1 Plains

I was thinking the same thing--I was surprised the final list didn't have a Plains so the option would at least be there if needed.

While starting a plains was certainly a thought, the maindeck simply cannot afford a third mana source that can't cast a turn one elf. I would definitely not change that in the maindeck, especially since Emissary won't see action until the sideboard.

Out of the sideboard, though, I think that's a fine swap. I built the sideboard for a very specific metagame, and expect people to tweak it for theirs. Putting a plains in there to bring in alongside Emissary is a solid option - you just need to figure out which other card in the sideboard is going to be least useful to you in your metagame and modify it appropiately.

Was I the only one curious where Dungrove Elder went? Seems very strong and one of the creatures most likely to encourage Garruk, Primal Hunter......

Dungrove Elder is great! However, after the crucial elvish core, there were simply not enough slots better than other cards left to include him. Additionally, in a deck with so many accelerators, you're not going to have that many forests unless you've cast Genesis Wave. And if you've cast Genesis Wave, you should have enough of a force to win regardless. Tack both of those factors on top of not being able to run Gavin-y Township and Elder was left on the sidelines.

Hope that helps answer your questions!

Gavin
Woo! My deck made the cut! I am honored to have been featured.

The decklist I submitted was a variant on a casual elf deck that I run that combines mana elves (Llanowar Elves, Arbor Elf, Heritage Druid, Elvish Archdruid, etc.) with untap abilities (Quirion Ranger, Seeker of Skybreak, and Wirewood Lodge) to power out big finishers using Genesis Wave, Joraga Warcaller, and Immaculate Magistrate. The deck often wins on turn three or four with thousands of damage. It's a fun casual deck.

As for the deck I submitted, I really just built a typical elf deck with a couple of answers in the sideboard. Drop mana-accelerants, drop finishers, attack, ???, profit. It was mostly intended to be an aggressive strategy that plays by its own rules without regard to the metagame, and that type of strategy won't really cut it in a tournament. 

Interestingly, I didn't intend for a poison subtheme. The Viridian Corrupter was in there as an answer to artifacts, and Glistener Elf was just put in as a one-drop elf that gets dangerous if you let it get through. The unintended poison subtheme was really meant to leave open a couple of options for the endgame that would put the opponent in a catch-22, of a sort. 

As for the sideboard, Beast Within was intended to deal with "problematic permanents," as Gavin so eloquently put it. Corrosive Gale and Marrow Shards were almost exclusively intended for Lingering Souls, but they also work well on Insectile Aberration. Dismember was just a useful removal spell, and Mental Misstep was included as an answer to early game aggressive or control strategies (i.e. Champion of the Parish and Ponder). I latched on to the Phybrid mana spells because they opened up so many options. I don't really play in standard too often, so I threw together the sideboard based on some of the stuff I've been reading about the metagame.  

The land base left open options for the sideboard, as well as the flashback cost on Tracker's Instincts

I was glad to see the standard version I came up with cut down to a more tournament worthy deck. Great article!
I'm astonished nobody is talking about today's other preview card with this. It seems each on its own is good, but together is actually something people are going to be doing.
I'm astonished nobody is talking about today's other preview card with this. It seems each on its own is good, but together is actually something people are going to be doing.

There are a couple of posts for the other article that mention the combination of today's preview cards.  Of course that doesn't mean that someone can't post in this article about the combo.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I appreciate the Doctor Who reference, but fish fingers and custard is awesome! Now back to reading the rest of the article...
This card is perfect for my Bant colored Gavony Township deck, which does need a bit of grease because a lot of the creatures have double colored mana costs (most of them white). This would help get around that, and once my threats are on the table, I get free activations of the Township.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
While my particular deck didn't make it into the runnings, I am happy to see a Feed the Pack deck in there.  Granted, my wolf tribal deck didn't have anything to do with oodles of mana (besides cast feed the pack or some other moderately largish creatures) so I can understand that.

As for next week's card.  Black.  Very few creatures.  So....U/B control shell?

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I've got it! Next week's preview card is some awesome "loner" ( read the Avacyn restored mechanics list if you don't know what a loner is. 
While my particular deck didn't make it into the runnings, I am happy to see a Feed the Pack deck in there.  Granted, my wolf tribal deck didn't have anything to do with oodles of mana (besides cast feed the pack or some other moderately largish creatures) so I can understand that.

As for next week's card.  Black.  Very few creatures.  So....U/B control shell?

I'm also happy to see my deck with Feed the Pack being featured ;) Seems like this new enchantment is what that deck could use to be able to insert Gavony Township, without having to be concerned too much about the manabase. Removing the Spider Spawning seems correct to make place, together with Big Garruk.

For next week... I guess I missed on the 'very few creatures' part. Ah well, that only makes me more interested in the preview!
Lol at Lost in the Woods + 59 Forests!
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Sign In to post comments