At will power MBA and Melee training.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Some at will powers, notoriously Eldrich Strike, can be used as an MBA, but if you also have the Melee training feat...

Can you use the alteration of Melee training to alter the at will power? 
RPGtable username : RTiger
"instead of Strength"

Eldritch Strike does not use Strength.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
So, technically, yes, you can swap out Strength for your Melee Training ability score on any at-will attack power that: A) Counts as/can be used as an MBA (as opposed to "in place of"); and B) Uses Strength as the ability score for the attack roll.

Would you say that's accurate, Mand12?

Also, OP, your sig is very big. Can you spoiler it? 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

It's not a spoiler issue, it's an error with the Magic icons.  Not sure why it breaks.

But yes, there are no MBAs that use strength other than MBA, to my knowledge.  If there were one, it'd be applicable for Melee Training.
I found a few ways to get away with swapping a power MBA (Combat Virtuoso or Adept Dilentte) Though they are rather specific and don't work in my current situation. Oh well.
Well there is Howling Strike.

Howling Strike is "in place of", so it doesn't count as an mba...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

When you take Melee training, you only add half your stat to the damage instead of full.

Eldtritch Strike uses CHA. You want to use Wis or Int by using Melee training. It does not work because Eldtritch Strike is a power that can be used as a melee basic attack.

Melee training alters the basic MBA from Strength to the stat of your choice.
It's not a spoiler issue, it's an error with the Magic icons.  Not sure why it breaks.

But yes, there are no MBAs that use strength other than MBA, to my knowledge.  If there were one, it'd be applicable for Melee Training.

skill domain and that cleric power rightous brand?  cant remember yhe name.  also skill domain and valiant strike.
Huh, I could have sworn those were wis and cha.  Nifty.  Oh, I was thinking of Virtuous Strike, I think, which has it baked in...

So yeah, those two would benefit from Melee Training.
Valiant Strike, Sonnilors Hammer, Eldrich Strike, Intent laid bare. These are the only four at will powers I know of that count as an MBA. None of them use Strength.
Grasping Claws, Savage Rend, there are several others.
Those two however are beast form only, and as such, bad for trying to multiclass.
Valiant Strike, Sonnilors Hammer, Eldrich Strike, Intent laid bare. These are the only four at will powers I know of that count as an MBA. None of them use Strength.

Valiant Strike uses Strength. Also, if you're counting Valiant Strike, you have to also count the other powers that PoS makes basic attacks. Of those, Righteous Brand uses Strength.

Also there's Wicked Strike, which can be used as an MBA. 

So it looks like Valiant Strike, Righteous Brand, and Wicked Strike are the only powers that Melee Training could even hope to have any effect on.

Now, then.

Does Melee Training modify those powers? 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Yes.
Melee Training:

You can use ______ instead of strength for the attack roll of a melee basic attack, and half of it's ability modifier in place of strength for the damage roll.

Any power that "Can be used as a Melee Basic attack" cannot be used with Melee Training. It can be used with powers that do use strength, but you get the drawback of dealing half modifier for damage rolls, which is basically a double negative for Wicked Strike being -2 attack.

Any power that "Can be used as a Melee Basic attack" cannot be used with Melee Training.

Incorrect.
Even if it is incorrect, you still only get half modifier for damage. At that point it is just a poor choice to have the power as an MBA in the first place.
Lets be fair, the difference between W+20 and W+16 is rather meaningless when your goal is accuracy and effect (increase damage by a few extra dice if you're charging)

The real question is, how are you gaining one of those 2 (Wicked Strike is "in place of" not "counts as" or "can be used as" so it doesn't work for this) powers and needing to replace Str with X, not be a Half-Elf, and not be able to take the other MBA power from those classes (Sonnlinor's Hammer for Cleric and Virtuous Strike for Paladin)? That's pretty much just "Lazy Hybrid"

The real trick for stat replacement on an MBA is the Swordmage feat Intelligent Blademaster, which also lets you use Int on RBAs.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments