spellskite vapor snag

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have spellskite in play and target an opponents enchantment and they proceed to vapor snag it, does the enchantment  go to the graveyard as the new target is no longer on the field, or does it proceed to go to the creature the opponent intended?
Assuming no other responses, Spellskite's ability will do nothing because it cannot change a target to an illegal target, and Spellskite is no longer a legal target for the Aura.

Do you mean you targeted an aura spell to spellskite, or that you targeted the triggered ability of an enchantment to spellskite?

Also, was the vapor snag cast in response to spellskite's ability or after spellskite's ability had resolved, redirecting the aura/ability?

If I try to pacify your bear, and you target pacifism with spellskite, I can vapor snag your spellskite in reponse. If nothing else happens (like re-using spellskite on pacifism) spellskite's ability won't do anything when it resolves, and the pacfism will still hit the bear. If you do re-use the spellskite, the aura will be redirected and then countered for having an illegal target.

If I try to oblivion ring it, this works the same way except that in the scenario where you re-use spellskite, the oblivion ring will stay on the battlefield, exiling nothing. Only it's ability is countered, not the ring itself.
All Generalizations are Bad
That depends on when they actually vapor snaged it.  The spellskite's ability uses the stack like most other activated abilities, so if your opponent vapor snags it before the spellskites ability resolves then when the spellskites ability resolves and tries to change the target of the aura it will no longer be a legal target so the target would remain the same and the aura would resolve normally.  If however they wait until after the spellskites ability resolves then vapor snag it, at that point the aura would be targeting the spellskite already, so when the aura tries to resolve it would be countered on resolution for having no legal target.

Do note that if the opponent casts vapor snag in response to the spellskite ability, you can just activate spellskites ability again (provided you can pay its cost) and in that case the spellskite's second activation would resolve before the vapor snag and change the target of the aura (sending it to the graveyard when it tries to resolve).

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Do you mean you targeted an aura spell to spellskite, or that you targeted the triggered ability of an enchantment to spellskite?

Also, was the vapor snag cast in response to spellskite's ability or after spellskite's ability had resolved, redirecting the aura/ability?

I completely forgot about non auras...Both for the sake of this question.

The spellskite's ability is in response to an opponent attempting enchant his creature, I want to redirect the enchantment to the spellskite and once I've paid the cost to do so they proceed to vapor snag the spellskite...

Sorry for the confusion.
That depends on when they actually vapor snaged it.  The spellskite's ability uses the stack like most other activated abilities, so if your opponent vapor snags it before the spellskites ability resolves then when the spellskites ability resolves and tries to change the target of the aura it will no longer be a legal target so the target would remain the same and the aura would resolve normally.  If however they wait until after the spellskites ability resolves then vapor snag it, at that point the aura would be targeting the spellskite already, so when the aura tries to resolve it would be countered on resolution for having no legal target.

This is essentially the answer I was looking for and now feel a bit ashamed I didn't realize.

Do note that if the opponent casts vapor snag in response to the spellskite ability, you can just activate spellskites ability again (provided you can pay its cost) and in that case the spellskite's second activation would resolve before the vapor snag and change the target of the aura (sending it to the graveyard when it tries to resolve).

This I'm a bit confused by. So if target the enchantment, the y target spellskite with the the vapor snag, I can in turn target the spellskite  with the spellskite even if it's already targeted?

This I'm a bit confused by. So if target the enchantment, the y target spellskite with the the vapor snag, I can in turn target the spellskite  with the spellskite even if it's already targeted?

Yes.

If your opponent is trying to cast Giant Strength to one of his creatures, you activate your spellskites ablity, they respond with Vapor Snage, you can activate Spellskite's ability again (assuming you can pay the cost)
MTG Rules Advisor
What I was saying is that after the vapor snag goes on the stack targeting the spellskite and it will resolve before the first activation of the spellskite's ability (that is changing the target of the aura), you can once again activate the spellskites ability to change the target of the aura.  That way the second time you activate the spellskites ability will be put on the stack on top of the vapor snag and resolve first to change the target of the aura to itself.  That way when the vapor snag resolves the spellskite will be the target of the aura and when the aura resolves it will be countered on resolution and head for the graveyard.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois