Spells vs. Magic

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there anywhere in the core books or errata that address the change from 3/3.5 to 4 in spell casting or maintaining a focus to cast? Also is there any addressing at will melee attacks as magic or focus based to initiate the action? Trying to figure out a way to allow a broken race (Dvati) to be played with 4E mechanics. Unfortunately there is no information given on melee attacks. Any info or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think I understand the question.

All the information you need on making attacks is in the PHB.  The power source of the attack makes no difference; they all operate under the same basic principles.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Is there anywhere in the core books or errata that address the change from 3/3.5 to 4 in spell casting or maintaining a focus to cast? Also is there any addressing at will melee attacks as magic or focus based to initiate the action? Trying to figure out a way to allow a broken race (Dvati) to be played with 4E mechanics. Unfortunately there is no information given on melee attacks. Any info or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

There are no special rules for spellcasting or maintaining focus.  Things take the action they *say* they take, that's it, that's all.

For your "one character in two bodies" thing, it's simple enough:  Have them share an action pool like a Beast Class does.  Both are "concentrating on the same spell" because they only have one Standard Action between them, and they spent their joint Standard Action for one of them to cast it.  Easy, simple, DONE.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

In 4th Edition, the only difference between casting a spell and attacking with a weapon are the keywords of the power used. There are no longer any separate rules for casting spells - every class has powers, and powers function in the same way across all classes. Some individual classes have certain features that affect how they use their powers but the core mechanic is the same for all of them. In general, a fighter uses an action to make a physical attack (he uses a power) and a wizard uses an action to make a magical one (he uses a power).

As far as the character...

In general, most of the things that made the dvati more powerful than the baseline races died out with the transition from 3.5 to 4E.

At its most basic, the two bodies share the same standard action, move action and minor action that every character gets on their turn.
The player decides which of his two bodies is going to take their one standard action (and minor action) every turn, but both bodies get to move when the character takes it's move action for the turn.

Other mechanical stuff off the top of my head...

There's no Level Adjustment in 4E, so they'll need to be balanced with other races right out of the gate. Therefore...

One character sheet, one class, one set of powers, will need to buy separate equipment/magic items for both bodies.

Your link didn't list the stats, but I'd give them a bonus to Perception for having two bodies.

The two bodies have one single pool of hit points and healing surges, and any effect that affects one of them affects both - if an opponent dazes one of them they're both dazed, and only make one saving throw to overcome it (and both become un-dazed if they succeed).

I'd suggest that you set a limit for how many squares apart the two bodies can go - possibly similar to the pixie's altitude limit, i.e., the two bodies can move as far apart as they want during their turn but must be no more than X squares apart at the end of their turn...
An arcane familiar can only go up to 20 squares away from it's master, so that may be a reasonable distance to restrict the two bodies to.

The two bodies only share knowledge and senses (a telepathic link) when within line of sight and line of effect of each other.

(Just as a random thought, depending on the class the character wants to play, you might have it gain a +3 bonus instead of a +2 bonus to attack when flanking if it flanks with itself.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Is there anywhere in the core books or errata that address the change from 3/3.5 to 4 in spell casting or maintaining a focus to cast?

There is no Concentration skill or checks or spell interruption in 4e.  Spells that use implements are 'cast' in the classic sense, but still just require an action and use the same rules as any power of the same attack type (melee, ranged, close, or area).  For instance, most classic spells are ranged or area and, like a shot from a bow, provoke an Oportuinty Attack. 

Also is there any addressing at will melee attacks as magic or focus based to initiate the action?

??

Trying to figure out a way to allow a broken race (Dvati) to be played with 4E mechanics. Unfortunately there is no information given on melee attacks. Any info or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

You would have to create the race for 4e.  4e uses a paradigm called 'Exception Based Design,' so, really, you're free to put in any rule tweeks needed to make the race work.

Here's a stab at it, liberally plagarizing your link:

Dvati

RACIAL TRAITS

Ability Scores: +2 WIS and +2 DEX or INT

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: normal

Language: Common and one other of choice
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Insight
Twin Body: The dvati occupies two squares, these squares need not be adjacent.
Each dvati twin has the same hp total, and both take damage when either takes damage.  When both take damage from the same source at the same time, however they do not take double damage, only the higher damage amount (if they are different).  For instance, if both dvati twins are caught in the same fireball and one is hit, taking 18 damage, and the other missed, taking 9, they both take 18. When either Dvati is subject to a condition, both are subject to that condition, when either has a condition removed, it is removed from both.
Simultaneous Movement: When the Dvati takes a move action each of his twins takes a move action, they need not be the same action (they can move in different direction or one can stand up from prone while the other moves, for instance).
Shared Actions: Aside from movement, each of the Dvati's other actions - Standard, Minor, Opportunity, Immediate, or Free - are taken by one of the twins or the other, at your option.
Perfect Coordination: You gain the Perfect Coordination power.

Perfect Coordination                              Dvati  Racial Power
Usually, the dvati's single consciousness must concentrate on difficult tasks like fighting and spellcasting one at a time. However, with effort, fleeting focus and a single goal, the dvati twins can act in concert to enhanced effect.
Encounter
Standard Action              Peronal
Effect: Both twins take the same Standard Action or make the same skill check. If the standard action is a power it must be an at-will power, and both uses of the power must have the same target(s). If the twins use this power to make skill checks, they make two checks. If the d20 result of one is 10 or more greater than the other, add two to the higher result and ignore the lower result, otherwise use both results (possibly resulting in two successes or two failures).

A "single" dvati is a pair of creatures that shares a soul. A dvati twin can no more exist without his soul partner than a human can live without a heart. The unique, spiritual link between a dvati pair has several important implications. A dvati character is actually two separate Dvati twins who share a soul. These two creatures move and act virtually as one.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

What i am considering is allowing both twins to either make a basic melee attack, or one twin may use an at will/encounter/daily. Im thinking with the at wills the non initiating twin may make the exact same synchronous act, or none at all. My looking for clarification is whether or not any assumed focus would be required to initiate anything more than a basic melee? Hope that makes a bit more sense.
Your original question is asking about spells, magic, and actions as it relates to At-will, Encounter, and Daily powers.

With any classes powers, whether it be martial exploits or arcane spells, it they are split up into the three groups.
At-will powers are the simple technique, a shield bash to knock back the enemy (tide of iron), or the most basic of arcane power flung outward (Magic missile). They require little to no concentration or thought to use.

Encounter powers are more powerful or finessed. It may be something that an enemy may not fall for more than once (covering attack) or a power that uses up more of your arcane reserves (fireball). These powers require some degree of concentration and thought, but a quick rest usually allows you to use them again.

Daily powers are the extreme here. It is a practiced tactic that uses a great amount of physical effort (brute strike) or magical concentration (acid arrow) to pull off.

Relating this to the Dvati and your idea - it would be overpowered to allow both of them to make attacks, 'basic' attacks or not. So, throwing away the concept of 'cannot take multiple actions if they require greater focus', we return to the Regular Action Line-up that 4e gives us. 

EITHER Dvati can take ONE Standard Action
BOTH Dvati can take a Move action at the same time.
EITHER Dvati can take ONE Minor Action
EITHER Dvati can take any reasonable amount of Free Actions
EITHER Dvati can take ONE immediate action (per round)

Race features could include the following:
(The Previously suggested)  Perfect Coordination Racial power
Show
Perfect Coordination                              Dvati  Racial Power
Usually, the dvati's single consciousness must concentrate on difficult tasks like fighting and spellcasting one at a time. However, with effort, fleeting focus and a single goal, the dvati twins can act in concert to enhanced effect. 
Encounter
Standard Action              Peronal
Effect: Both twins take the same Standard Action or make the same skill check. If the standard action is a power it must be an at-will power, and both uses of the power must have the same target(s). If the twins use this power to make skill checks, they make two checks. If the d20 result of one is 10 or more greater than the other, add two to the higher result and ignore the lower result, otherwise use both results (possibly resulting in two successes or two failures).

Second Presence
You can choose either Entity as the origin of a power, as long as all other conditions are met. (LoS, LoE, weilding the proper weapon, within range, meeting power requirements, etc)

Twin Teamwork
When making an attack roll, if both Entities could attack the target(have LoS/LoE), make the attack roll twice. If both attacks would hit, the Dvati gains a +2 bonus to the damage roll. This does not allow the use of two attack power, but it represents the fact that both twins are participating in attacking.

An alternate of this feature could be:
If both entities can attack the same target, you get a +2 to the attack roll. Rather than a damage increase, this represents the fact that both twins attacking has a better chance to hit with the attack.

What i am considering is allowing both twins to either make a basic melee attack, or one twin may use an at will/encounter/daily. 

"Making two attacks" at-will is incredibly broken.  And restricting that to MBAs does NOTHING to unbreak it, since MBAs are pretty darn good.  Some classes, in fact, never use anything except MBAs, and 99% of the rest of the game will prefer "two MBAs" over "one at-will", since at-wills are almost always "MBA with a small extra thing".  In fact, "two MBAs" is better than most Encounter powers, and a lot of Heroic-tier Dailies.

MBA is an at-will attack power, just one that everyone has.  Treat it like an at-will attack power, and you'll be much closer to balance.

But seriously, take our advice:  SHARED ACTION POOL.  This kind of thing is a solved problem already.

Im thinking with the at wills the non initiating twin may make the exact same synchronous act, or none at all.  My looking for clarification is whether or not any assumed focus would be required to initiate anything more than a basic melee? Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Since any attack (including using the Melee Basic Attack at-will power) requires the sole Standard Action that the two bodies share, it self-evidently requires that focus already.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
"Making two attacks" at-will is incredibly broken.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Avenger class?
"Making two attacks" at-will is incredibly broken.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Avenger class?

"Roll twice, taking the better number, for your one attack" is not at all the same as "make two attacks".
Oh, so it's rangers you aren't a fan of.
Oh, so it's rangers you aren't a fan of.

Twin Strike is by far the most powerful at-will in the game, so much so that people poach it regularly to increase their damage - and Twin Strike is itself weaker than "make two Basic Attacks" inherently, AND it doesn't get all the adders that can apply to basic attacks.

So the suggestion was "add a racial power that is significantly more powerful than THE MOST POWERFUL existing thing, with fewer limitations, more options to boost it, and available to more classes".  Which is, as I said, a terrible idea.

This is not exactly a controversial statement.
Sign In to post comments