Thingamajigies

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I loved that article.  Got some mechanical feedback for it
Show

1. Confusion Ray is too good for any level and any rarity.  Make the at-will a simple slide 5, Add a new encounter power that dazes , and drop the level to 8/13?

2. Edit: The Cardkey should REPLACE your thievery modifier, which means that you need to remove the words "power bonus", and change the words "check bonus" to "modifier".  Because if it replaces your modifier, it's not a bonus.

3. Laser Pistol is bascially strictly inferior to the needler, and 3 levels higher.  The laser pistol should be a level 2/7/... item.  Actually, given it's rarity, it could be a level 1/6/... item.

Less mechanical feedback

1. The Chainsword needs more awesome.  d12 crits seem a complete gimme.  I'd like to also suggest an property.  "Property: weapon attacks with this weapon that hit bloodied creatures also deal ongoing damage (save-ends) equal to the enhancement bonus of the item".  Adding that property would make the item's rarity, level, and thematic awesomeness all work out nicely.

2. The Stability table lists a laser sword that's not in the article.
      WHERE'S MAI LASER SWORD?!?!!one!!eleven

Ahem.

but anything that throws in a good evil-dead reference, and has that pun density can't be all bad.

But, um.  Where's the laser sword?  If the author's around, what was the laser sword?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

+1

Also, the wonderous item that makes all your theivery checks ridiculous was.... well ridiculous. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Ah, yes.  Forgot that one.  I'm pretty sure it was meant to REPLACE your thievery checks...Woulda been nice if it actually said that.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Lack of laser sword is incredibly disappointing.  They had a good stability rating so I was hoping they would be nice, long term items.

EDIT:  What's scary is that these could be used in Lair Assault...

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I see what happened with the Laser Sword. The actual item in the article is the Laser Pistol. It was just listed in that section as a Sword instead for some reason. Notice that the Laser Pistol is missing from the list.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
@TheMalteseFalchion: Good luck getting M.C. Escher to design the dice for the Singularity and Sleep grenades.
So, we finally have a Chainsword and Laspistol for realsies. Time to build a lot of characters with long coats, red sashes, and fancy hats.
Laser pistols?
Jet packs?
Chainsaw swords?

Oh yes.
Harbinger of Doom (reroll 1's) just got a slight bump in the ratings... 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Seeker of Illefarn, too.

Literally the first thing that came to my mind was to bring a chainsword into Lair Assault. Also, every class now has a full-fledged ranged option in the laspistol flashlight.

Are these items for real?
So no one has noticed that the Singularity Grenades and Sleep Grenades are an Area Burst within 10 squares? Specifically, that the area hit is 2d3-1 squares?

Literally the first thing that came to my mind was to bring a chainsword into Lair Assault. Also, every class now has a full-fledged ranged option in the laspistol flashlight.

Are these items for real?

Yup.  Not really that special either.  (except confusion ray, and the broken skelleton key).

Specifically, that the area hit is 2d3-1 squares?

Odd, yes, but it gives a nice randomness to the size of the attack.

Burst 1-5 but bell curved, so 1/3 of the time it will be burst 3.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Specifically, that the area hit is 2d3-1 squares?

Odd, yes, but it gives a nice randomness to the size of the attack.

Burst 1-5 but bell curved, so 1/3 of the time it will be burst 3.

Actually, I was speaking more to the fact that it's asking you to roll 2 3-sided dice. The element of randomness is interesting, but I find the fact that it's asking you to roll two dice that don't exist pretty funny.
D3s exist, they just look like d6s wherein you divide the result by 2 ;)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

So what if you roll a 1, a 3, or a 5?

Or d12's that you divide by 3.

Or d4's when you reroll a 4.
Or d6's % 2
Or d12's % 3
Or... 

guides
Power
my builds

So what if you roll a 1, a 3, or a 5?

You round.  A 1 or 2 on the die counts as a 1.  A 3 or 4 on the die counts as a 2.  A 5 or 6 on the die counts as a 3.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Contrary to everything else in D&D, you round up.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
...Everyone has to go and ruin my fun. Now it's not funny anymore. Frown
So it seems to me that the stability rules simply don't work. You need to roll a 10 or higher every single turn that you use Power Armor and friends if you don't want them to explode or become inert. If you actually want to use it without consequence, you're looking at a 15 or higher. I really, really don't think that's a functional system.

The Jet Pack suffers from similar problems. As it's written, you essentially take (1d10)d10 damage, no saving throw. And you gain no benefit, unless you were to try to make an Athletics check to catch yourself on a nearby wall or somesuch. And if you have the Athletics to make a check good enough to make that check reliably and really want to get somewhere high, save yourself 2597 gold and buy a climber's kit and a grappling hook. /taking this article seriously

That said, this has been a hilarious April Fool's article. The flavor text is hilarious, and the thought of actually seeing one of these items at the table (especially using the stability rules) is an additional source of lulz. Well played, Critical Hits guy. Well played.

You can fly diagonally upward, so you can fly up a cliff and then over the side.

There are actual d3s out there.  The ones I've seen usually look like a enlongated 3-sided prism with pointy ends.
I have some d6s that just have 1 to 3 on them twice, too. 

And some d12s that are 1-4 3 times, cause screw caltrops. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director

I want some of those.  I *hate* d4s.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

I think avengers get a bump up as well.  Oath says you use one of two rolls to use as your attack role so the chainsaw sword is a good option. 

And super appropriate for the class too.
So it seems to me that the stability rules simply don't work.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the point of those rules is to give the DM the excuse he needs to take the item away.

So it seems to me that the stability rules simply don't work. You need to roll a 10 or higher every single turn that you use Power Armor and friends if you don't want them to explode or become inert. If you actually want to use it without consequence, you're looking at a 15 or higher. I really, really don't think that's a functional system.

Err... no. You only roll for stability when you use the item's power(s). You can clank around in powered armour for as long as you want without a problem (well, apart from it trying to kill you when you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll). There's only a chance of it blowing up if you try to use it to fly.
"There's an old saying that all it takes for evil to triumph is that good people do nothing. I've always had a problem with that. If you do nothing to oppose evil, then how are you 'good'? To turn aside and allow evil to flourish is to collaborate with it. You ask for mercy. You claim you have done nothing. That 'nothing' is why you deserve no mercy." - Lorian Karthfaerr, drow paladin of Avandra Robin Laws says I'm a Storyteller:
Show
You're more inclined toward the role playing side of the equation and less interested in numbers or experience points. You're quick to compromise if you can help move the story forward, and get bored when the game slows down for a long planning session. You want to play out a story that moves like it's orchestrated by a skilled novelist or film director. Storyteller 92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Butt-Kicker 67% Power Gamer 67% Specialist 58% Casual Gamer 8%

I think avengers get a bump up as well.  Oath says you use one of two rolls to use as your attack role so the chainsaw sword is a good option. 

And super appropriate for the class too.

I dunno.  A cruel DM could rule that a roll of 1 on either OoE attack roll would count as a malfunction.

The specific wording of OoE is "you make two attack rolls and use either result".

The Thingie malfunction wording is "When you roll a 1 on an attack roll with this weapon..."

Therefore, a 1 on either roll, whether it is the roll which is used for the attack or not, could trigger the malfunction.  The malfunction occurs as soon as the roll occurs, whether the roll gets used or not.

The same logic could be used for Elven Accuracy, or any other reroll mechanic.  Because the malfunction is triggered by rolls, and not by the roll being used for an action, rerolls are just additional chances to roll a 1!

It's an open argument whether this line of reasoning is RAW, but I feel it is completely in line with the spirit of a humor article full of malfunction-prone items.  Using close reading of the rules to make the attempts at malfunction avoidance blow up in the players' faces (so to speak) is a karmic surprise waiting to happen.
Hmmmm...... Hybrid Avenger/invoker, MC Artificer for the feat that lets you use bows as an implement, and BAM, chainsword/Laspistol zealot. Ranger with Blaster rifle, Needler and powered armor, BAM Master Chief, Warforged with powered armor, Laspistol and chainsword BAM, my next character.

Using OMEGA TECH
Many Gamma World™ Omega Tech items would work well as items recovered from the Barrier Peaks. If you’d like to include some as items in your game using the rules given in this article, here’s a quick conversion guide:

• The stability bonus for items is +2 for common ones, +0 for uncommon ones, and –2 for rare ones. (Consult the rarity icon on the item’s card.)

• The malfunction effect is the same as the miss effect (if any) but targeted at the user. Otherwise, the GM should invent an appropriate malfunction.

So can we use Omega Tech in Lair Assults, can we, can we, go on, say it.... pleeese...
yeah alright... I know...

I want some of those.  I *hate* d4s.

They're just the best things.

chessex.com/Dice/Specialty%20Dice/4_side... 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Indeed, after all, they are the pointiest of all dice.
As someone who's played most of the previous editions of EttBP and Gamma World, I find it amusing to read people trying to apply modern design and balance principles to the old artifacts.  Just like with most old D&D, all balance went out the window once magical items and artifacts were introduced.  Of course, there was no pretense of balance in old GW when you were randomly rolling your stats and mutations anyway.  In my still running 4th Ed GW from the early 90's, we keep a confusion ray gun around for the dangerous occasions that our elephant enforcer gets mind-controlled.

I am a little disappointed that the Vibroblade didn't make it into this article though.  If I remember correctly, the original Vibroblade granted a +10 Melee Attack Bonus and did 10d6 damage.  You can understand why the GM stopped dropping them after the first couple.  Good times.
Is there any way I can view these new items without a DDI subscription?
Is there any way I can view these new items without a DDI subscription?

Don't think so.

guides
Power
my builds

Just had a thought... the Chainsaw Sword deals half damage to constructs. Shardminds and Warforged are constructs.
Just had a thought... the Chainsaw Sword deals half damage to constructs. Shardminds and Warforged are constructs.

Yes...

I'm not sure how that helps.

guides
Power
my builds

The malfunction deals damage to the wielder. Being a 'Forged or a Shardmind halves that.
The malfunction deals damage to the wielder. Being a 'Forged or a Shardmind halves that.

That's a small bonus i guess.

guides
Power
my builds

Yeah, I know, I probably shouldn't have gotten all worked up about it.
Yeah, I know, I probably shouldn't have gotten all worked up about it.

Meh.  It's still worth a mention.

guides
Power
my builds