Dragon 410 - Bazaar of the Bizarre: Thingamajigs of the Barrier Peaks

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.pngDragon 410
Bazaar of the Bizarre: Thingamajigs of the Barrier Peaks
by Dave Chalker

Surely you have heard the tales of the strange creatures that plagued the Grand Duchy. These stories tell of how predatory creatures emerged from a gated cave. The area defied all attempts at exploration until recently, when one expedition to the Barrier Peaks attempted to stem the tide of strange invaders. During their efforts, they found some unusual items and brought them back. Lucky for you, I have these very items on sale here. Let me tell you about them.

Talk about this article here.

astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Is that a laser and jet pack in that,picture? This means that this stuff is now sa LFR legal. You can play a warforged character with this stuff as embedded items.
Yes, they're LFR legal, but acquiring rare items in LFR is so rare that I wouldn't worry about it. All of these items are Rare.

But they're also Lair Assault legal. That'll be fun.
Lair Assault is going to be crazy.
Not to be an idiot, but what the kind of burst is 2d3-1?

That said, I loved this article.  It's great to see humor and evil dead references in the usual serious toned magazines.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Its an aleatory Burst Size determined by a die roll (ranging from Burst 1 to 2). You basically roll 2d3-1 or roll 1d6 twice which you'll divide by 2 (1-2=1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3) and minus 1
Its an aleatory Burst Size determined by a die roll (ranging from Burst 1 to 2). You basically roll 2d3-1 or roll 1d6 twice which you'll divide by 2 (1-2=1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3) and minus 1

This whole article is a throwback to old school D&D, specifically the Expedition to Barrier Peaks, a module that people either loved or hated. I loved it and have played/DM'ed it many times. The use of d3 rolls is either a typo or a great nod to old school.

Overall, I thought this new article was fantastic. It adds a great dose of future tech but the limitations on the items and misfire mechanics mean that they're not going to form the basis of game breaking builds. This was very well done and I really hope they're planning a Dungeon adventure that introduces these items and infuses them with a great story.

This whole article is a throwback to old school D&D, specifically the Expedition to Barrier Peaks, a module that people either loved or hated. I loved it and have played/DM'ed it many times. The use of d3 rolls is either a typo or a great nod to old school.

Overall, I thought this new article was fantastic. It adds a great dose of future tech but the limitations on the items and misfire mechanics mean that they're not going to form the basis of game breaking builds. This was very well done and I really hope they're planning a Dungeon adventure that introduces these items and infuses them with a great story.

You know, I thought that while I was reading it.  Did someone forget they haven't used the D3 since the Ray of Frost Cantrip?  I definitely got the nostalgia buzz out of it.  I really appreciated good writing with my crunch.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

The best part is that the 'stability' mechanic is in an optional sidebar, so it's easy to completely ignore ... and it wouldn't be too hard to scratch off the 'malfunction' mechanic in the items, too.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Oh goody! More stuff for my players who have been wanting to play a Technomancer
I know that the stability rules are optional, but was it really intended that they make the items so useless?  With the stability ratings as they are, most of these items won't make it through the first fight and will hurt thier users more than help them.  Not sure if that was the intention though.

Also, the confusion ray is broken good.  At will daze (save ends) + slide 5 every turn?  Are you sure this wasn't meant to be a daily power? 
I liked the basics of the article.

I was a little disapointed that you can't use them with ranged powers. I would love a blaster pistol that can work with twin strike...  

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

I was a little disapointed that you can't use them with ranged powers. I would love a blaster pistol that can work with twin strike...  

I may have missed something, but I don't think it says anywhere that the weapons can't be used for other powers.  It does say you can't use ammo, though.
They seem to count as normal weapons, so they can be used with twin-strike, its simply their powers obviously don't get twin-striked.
I missed that they are enchantments not wondurus items

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Sign In to post comments