Neverwinter Campaign

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
 Hey guys, I am starting up a Neverwinter Campaign with a group of four PCs. I love the new setting and the sandbox style of the book. I am very excited to start. My PCs are running a neverwinter noble, heir of delzoun, spell scarred harbinger, and Harper agent. Has anyone run a neverwinter campaign? Does anyone have any advice or ideas for a good start?
For sandbox campaigns, I rarely plan out actual adventures.  What I do instead is print out the stats for monsters I think the party might encounter and mount them on index cards, keeping them in alphabetical order.  I then put together a few monster party configurations of the group's level (I print them out) along with some generic skill challenge mechanics that I think are appropriate to the setting ("rooftop chase," disarm the trap,"  "convince a faction to lend you aid').  I also keep a treasure table of items and gold I want to give the players for that level.  Then I write a summary of the campaign background, and what each NPC faction wants and how they might interact with the PCs, for myself.  Then I just let players loose.  You do have to be very comfortable with improvisation to play like this, but I find players love it because they are in total control of the story.  It ends up being more fun for me, too, because I have no idea where the story is going to go next.  When players seem stuck as to what to do next, I drop a clue or suggest a course of action.  If they end up in conflict with creatures or people I don't have stats for, I reskin an encounter I do have planned or I resolve the situation with story and RP.

I really enjoyed the Neverwinter book and will most likely be running a campaign out of it after the conclusion or our current campaign. (That or Undermountain, or the Menzoberranzan books...) Have you played the Neverwinter facebook game? You might get some ideas from it. Best of luck and be sure and let us know how things go garwjenk .

Very nice suggestions gwydion9. Laughing

Thank you for the advice.  I will certainly incorporate it.

One other related question.  I have no experience with 4e realms... One of the characters is a spellscarred harbinger.  It seems like this will be quite disruptive because he will not be accepted anywhere (except helms hold) and people see him as a dangerous freak... Would he even be allowed to stay in inns and taverns?  Am I way off base?  I guess my question is how much of a disruption to the populace are the spellscarred?
Has anyone run a neverwinter campaign? Does anyone have any advice or ideas for a good start?

My own campaign so far has gone:
1) Gates of Neverdeath
2) Lost Crown of Neverwinter
3) Shards of Selune
4) Gauntlgrym Gambit

My upcoming scenarios may include the Neverwinter related Lair assaults (Forge of the Dawn Titan and Talon of Umberlee) and/or Living Forgotten Realms adventures. Also, the (non-Facebook) Neverwinter video game might provide some inspiration too.
One of the characters is a spellscarred harbinger.  It seems like this will be quite disruptive because he will not be accepted anywhere (except helms hold) and people see him as a dangerous freak... Would he even be allowed to stay in inns and taverns?  Am I way off base?  I guess my question is how much of a disruption to the populace are the spellscarred?

It's not contagious. Spellscarred individuals are not that uncommon, and are often treated just like anyone else (indeed, many spellscars may not even be visible).

It's not contagious. Spellscarred individuals are not that uncommon, and are often treated just like anyone else (indeed, many spellscars may not even be visible).

It says in the book that people treat spellscarred as "dangerous freaks, to be attacked or avoided"...   It seems like they wouldn't be treated like everyone else...

His spellscar manifests as the occasional flicker of blue flame around his hair and shoulders. So, people will notice.
Really you can play the Spellscar thing however you would like to.  In the Neverwinter Campagin book they discuss Helm's Hold as a sort of "sanctuary" for the spellplagued of the area to go, and that Lord Neverember actually ordered all the spellplagued in the city to go there (for their own good).  If you follow along those lines, your spellplagued PC would actually stand out quite a bit because people wouldn't expect to see them within the city's walls anymore.  They weren't ordered out for the safety of other people, so he won't be kicked out of inns, but people would easily see him as different and perhaps be more cautious when engaging with him. 
 Hey guys, I am starting up a Neverwinter Campaign with a group of four PCs. I love the new setting and the sandbox style of the book. I am very excited to start. My PCs are running a neverwinter noble, heir of delzoun, spell scarred harbinger, and Harper agent. Has anyone run a neverwinter campaign? Does anyone have any advice or ideas for a good start?

How I envy you!

I think Neverwinter is a great setting and I am itching to run a campaign there.

Personally, I would design a small adventure to get the PCs hooked and base it around their character themes.

What about a small dungeon designed as the lost tomb of a dwarven sage? Perhaps it has genealogical information for the Neverwinter noble, clues to Gauntlgrym for the heir of Delzoun, some untamed magic for the spellscarred harbinger and, well, all of those things might prove useful to the Harper agent.

You could run it as a five-room dungeon (a Google search on that phrase will explain what I mean). Anyway, it gets them all up and running quickly and gives them something related to their themes from the first adventure. After that, let them run amuck!
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom