Return to Ravnica.

757 posts / 0 new
Last post
This seemed deserving of its own thread now that it's confirmed.

Brothers and sisters;
Welcome Home.

HELL YES!!!

I think that I worried my parents when I heard the news. 
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

HELL YES!!!

I think that I worried my parents when I heard the news. 

I know what you mean.
I made a loud, unintelligable moaning scream when I heard.
So excited for this one!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Excellent! And Niv-Mizzet's still kicking I guess? I'm STOKED for this!
Show
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks Gamma_Mage for the awesome banner! IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/5b6c77c9b167a1916a659c5ddb3cf613.jpg?v=90000)
I approve.

I'm going to be very interested to see how they do Ravnica now that the guilds are gone. Or are the guilds gone?

Edit: IS anyone else getting a President Jace and Vice President Niv vibe from that artwork or is that just me?
… and then, the squirrels came.
Thanks for the higher-res image! New Jace too?
Show
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks Gamma_Mage for the awesome banner! IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/5b6c77c9b167a1916a659c5ddb3cf613.jpg?v=90000)

Looks like it, likely Gideon as well since he's on Ravnica, maybe Vess i guess if they want to tie one of her demons to Ravnica.

I'll just be happy if we get some new Guildleader cards and a refernce to anything that happened in the original Ravnica block (I assume they will since they literally named the set "return to Ravnica".)

Looks like it, likely Gideon as well since he's on Ravnica, maybe Vess i guess if they want to tie one of her demons to Ravnica.

I'll just be happy if we get some new Guildleader cards and a refernce to anything that happened in the original Ravnica block (I assume they will since they literally named the set "return to Ravnica".)

I doubt Lili's demon is on ravnica. I feel like she would have made a deal about in during agents....but they could change their minds.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Ravnica-related walkers: Jace, Gideon, Ral Zarek, Dack Fayden, Sifa Grent, Liliana, Bolas, Tezzeret, Baltrice...
[<o>]
Question: Do you think they'll keep the guilds dead or do you think they'll throw out Agents and return the guilds to power.

Having Niv be so promidently displayed in that picture, and knowing how Maro changed the story for Scars, I wonder if the Guilds won't be back in power again.

Of course guilds or not, Niv is still the richest and arguably most powerful being on Ravnica, so him being there doesn't say anything about the guilds, but it does make me wonder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also anyone want to guess a theme for the block? I'm kind of hoping for a "Clash of the Planeswalkers" where Tezzert, Jace, and Bolas finally have thier show down. I can think of no better plane for that show down to occur.
Question: Do you think they'll keep the guilds dead or do you think they'll throw out Agents and return the guilds to power.

I am hoping the recent hiatus of the novel line won't have any involvement in this. At least, if ever we're going to see full on what befell the guilds.

And also...

FEATHER card or BUST!!!
Holy crap:

We are going to get A PLANESWALKER"S GUIDE TO RAVNICA!

This is going to be sweet.
Cautiously optimistic.
Love the original, wary of the sequel, dread the story possibilities.
I don't like the name of the block.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Ravnica is Jace's homeplane right? I'm guessing we'll not see a Jace in 2013 Core, rather, I think that another blue planeswalker will take his place so that he can be re-printed or even given a new card in Ravnica 2. Also predicting that the 3rd set will involve the ressurrection of the guilds.

Ravnica is Jace's homeplane right? I'm guessing we'll not see a Jace in 2013 Core, rather, I think that another blue planeswalker will take his place so that he can be re-printed or even given a new card in Ravnica 2. Also predicting that the 3rd set will involve the ressurrection of the guilds.

No, it's not.

Jace currently resides on Ravnica, but he's not originally from there.

Ravnica is Jace's homeplane right? I'm guessing we'll not see a Jace in 2013 Core, rather, I think that another blue planeswalker will take his place so that he can be re-printed or even given a new card in Ravnica 2.

Nope, Jace just lives there. They won't give up an excuse to print a planeswalker card. Jace will have a card.

Also predicting that the 3rd set will involve the ressurrection of the guilds.

That's an odd story, the democratic goverment of free people is overthrown by the evil, oppressive reign of the guilds. I like the guilds, i think they (like the factions of the Phyrexians) offer an interesting internal conflict and dynamic while showing off each color in a raw way... but I  don't want the guilds to come back into power at the expense of the good goverment.*

I mean... that's harsh.

* And if you are arguing that the guilds should come back into power so they can be overthrown in the third Ravnica block... i'd rather not have the guilds used as a storyline contrivance. Either they should be established or gone.
I agree with Skibo.  The Guilds shouldn't come back if storyline continuity is to be maintained, and it would be terribly stupid to put them back in, only to destroy them again next april.  

I am very excited about this release  All I have to say for now, since I must sleep.  Happy Easter, guys. 
Check out my blog, Anarion's Last Stand, with such diverse topics as poetry, writing, and [insert blog topic here] Anarionslaststand.blogspot.com I am the stone that comes not from the sea. I am the blood but the blood is not me. I am the key to the door with no locks. I am the mainspring that winds broken clocks. I am your tears on the chains of the rack. I am your gift and you can't give me back.

Edit: IS anyone else getting a President Jace and Vice President Niv vibe from that artwork or is that just me?

Change you can believe in!

because I brainwashed you to

BelerenXMizzet 2013
So, the proud and vain Niv Mizzet stands behind Jace? Either Jace convinced him it was profitable to ally together, or he has been brainwashed.

Unless that shot was directly before Niv burninates Jace to Ashes from behind.   
So, the proud and vain Niv Mizzet stands behind Jace? Either Jace convinced him it was profitable to ally together, or he has been brainwashed.

Unless that shot was directly before Niv burninates Jace to Ashes from behind.   

Well the art for the set is just meant to look cool. The Alara box art shows everyone (including Tezzert) fighting Bolas, which never happens in the story.

I think they just wanted Jace (the most iconic planeswalker) and Niv (the most iconic character from Ravnica) together.

Of course they might be setting up a mirror where the next set has Tezzert and Bolas Mirrored on the other side.
Maybe it's just me, but the first thing I thought was 'Jace is working for Niv-Mizzet'. Not the other way around.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
I am delighted that we will again look to Ravnica. But what amazes me is that Niv Mizzet reappears. Surprised because I read about his disappearance. And he suddenly returns ...

I'm REALLY hyped about this announcement.

Wizards is setting up Ravnica to be the nexus of the storyline - the Eldrazi, Bolas and Phyrexia tangents all can potentially entangle in Ravnica, with the Infinite Consortium. I'm excited to see how this will play out - the abolution of the old Guildpact, the remnants of the Ravnican guilds, the relatively new presence of the Infinite Consortium, and other factions like the Cult of Yore and maybe even the Order of Heliud.

With so many factions potentially congregating in Ravnica, I can see plenty of potential innovations they can do with the guild-structure block design, and more importantly, how Wizards is gonna tie up the storylines together. Gideon's coming to find Jace for help with the Eldrazi, phyrexian Tezzeret & Bolas still have vested interests in the Consortium, etc.

You know, they can probably have one planeswalker per guild if they feel like it, although it would be really awkward and very force-fit. Gideon (Azorius), Liliana (Golgari), Ral Zarek (Izzet), Sifa Grent (Simic), etc.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13

You know, they can probably have one planeswalker per guild if they feel like it, although it would be really awkward and very force-fit. Gideon (Azorius), Liliana (Golgari), Ral Zarek (Izzet), Sifa Grent (Simic), etc.

This is maybe not so good an idea, but since you brought it up, Liliana feels a little odd for Golgari.  Wizards and most of the playerbase care a lot about color identity and continuity, and that makes me think, unless something interesting happens in Avacyn Restored, Garruck would be a better fit for Golgari and maybe Rakdos for Liliana?

in other news, I finally gave in and changed my default browser to Chrome.  In the last few days, Explorer started slowing down a lot, and I still might go back if I get that speed back.  If not, I'm going to miss the quicksearch tool

Check out my blog, Anarion's Last Stand, with such diverse topics as poetry, writing, and [insert blog topic here] Anarionslaststand.blogspot.com I am the stone that comes not from the sea. I am the blood but the blood is not me. I am the key to the door with no locks. I am the mainspring that winds broken clocks. I am your tears on the chains of the rack. I am your gift and you can't give me back.
I am delighted that we will again look to Ravnica. But what amazes me is that Niv Mizzet reappears. Surprised because I read about his disappearance. And he suddenly returns ...

Niv left the battlefeild because he was gravely wounded by the Nephilim. He didn't "suddenly disapear" him leaving made perfect sense and was explained in the novel.

It's interesting to see a return to Ravnica so soon. But then again, Ravnica was a fan-favorite, so it makes sense to return there pretty soon and a lot of the story ties together there. 

I'm curious how they're going to handle the Guilds. They have fallen apart, but Ravnica is the city of guilds. 

in other news, I finally gave in and changed my default browser to Chrome.  In the last few days, Explorer started slowing down a lot, and I still might go back if I get that speed back.  If not, I'm going to miss the quicksearch tool

Give Opera a try. It's pretty fast, the adress-bars doubles as a quicklink to Google and I really like their speed-dial thing.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Oh this is cool. There's a lot of stories they can tell here, and a lot of stories WE can tell here once we get the style guides. What do you think, folks? Time to get the band back together and do another story contest? This set might be enough to regalvanize the people around here just like Alara did.

Also, weren't we working under the assumption that we could be 90% sure that we weren't returning to Ravnica?
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

This is maybe not so good an idea, but since you brought it up, Liliana feels a little odd for Golgari.  Wizards and most of the playerbase care a lot about color identity and continuity, and that makes me think, unless something interesting happens in Avacyn Restored, Garruck would be a better fit for Golgari and maybe Rakdos for Liliana?

Sarkhan is the closest thing to a Rakdos planeswalker, and even then he's just mad, not malevolent by rational choice. Liliana is (relatively) smart, the Rakdos are dumb. Maybe someone will reform the Rakdos like Jarad reformed the Golgari, but Creative is too dumb to do such a smart thing.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Garruk would be Gruul through and through. Lilliana would be Dimir. Sarkhan would be Rakdos, as a pawn for Bolas. 
You are Red/Blue!
I still remember being told (as in my signature) that for most players, "It has ten guilds" is all Ravnica is for most players. Either they Get Better and Agents of Artifice is thrown out the window or the entire first set is about the fact that the guilds are gone now.

The idea that a Tezzerett/Bolas shot could follow this one makes me happy.

MaRo sort of let slip in his Tumblr that this will be "a gold block," but that's all he will say about it right now, and I think people would've been expecting that anyway.

I know it's far too early to even be thinking about the story of the block, let alone talking about it. But it does seem like all the stories of the last several years can be pointed into Ravnica at once, at least through the planeswalkers going there. Even Innistrad might point something toward Ravnica by the end of AVR. I'd love to see a culmination/simultaneous-sequel-to-multiple-blocks story to tie them all together at once. It reminds me of The Avengers, and I suppose it would sort of be the same storytelling model.

Now I'm being distracted from being excited by Avacyn Restored. Curses.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Nivvy vs Bolas
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Could it be that Niv Mizzet is a planeswalker, or will become one by his own knowledge and efforts?  I feel like we've had this discussion before, but It actially has some story significance now.

Could it be that Niv Mizzet is a planeswalker, or will become one by his own knowledge and efforts?  I feel like we've had this discussion before, but It actially has some story significance now.

Nope. If Niv wanted to be a planeswalker, he would have done it in the 10,000 plus years he's been alive.
I imagine the guilds will all still exist in some capacity, even with the Guildpact broken.  They all did something provided some service a massive city-plane needs and/or where the sort of devious schemers you would expect to come out on top of widespread political turmoil anyway. 

-The Boros might fight for somebody else these days, but I  think they'll always find demand for their skills and magic. 
-Selesnya are probably the worst off, and it is implied that they lost at least some high ranking members, but it's not really a strech to assume there are still some fanatical "true beliver" types hanging around somewhere. 
-The Golgari live in areas nobody else wants, and made all the food to boot, so they probably weren't affected that much.  
-House Dimir lost their leader, but most never really knew about him anyway.  They probably do pretty much the same stuff they always did, and it wouldn't suprise me if Jace or even Bolas had some former Dimir on their payroll. 
-Orzhov would probably have been the target of a lot of repressed anti-Guild rage, being the richest and most exploitive generally, but they still have their ghost powers going and some other pretty powerful stuff besides, plus they just seem the type to make it work in their favor. 
-The Gruul are probably still pretty much the same as well. They hardly ever relied on any social order anyway, they were just conviniently destructive.  -The Izzet are the only people who know how lots of Ravnica's magic-based infrastructure works, so someone must be filling their role, or the whole place would probably have gone to hell, same concept as the Golgari. 
-Azorius is another guild that might possibly have collapsed, but someone still needs bureaucrats, so they probably mostly got back to work pretty quick. 
-The Cult of Rakdos might be in trouble, because they aren't really the kind of neighbors most people want to have in their district, but similarly to the Selesnya, there will always be a buch of crazy goblins hanging around. 
-This last one might be personal bias, because they're my favorite guild, but I can't really see the Simic, who are basically devoted to adaptation to new environments, just folding when the going gets rough. They seem more devoted, and also crazier, then that. 

Wow, I didn't mean to do all that, I just got going and couldn't stop.  Anyway, it might bode ill for the guilds that they all are refered to in the past tense in the Ravnica plane description, but either way, I hope they do at least a "Where Are They Now" cycle or two that show what the old guildmages and maybe leaders or lieutenants where possible get up to in the new Ravnica.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Nope. If Niv wanted to be a planeswalker, he would have done it in the 10,000 plus years he's been alive.

But those 10,000 years he was trapped on Ravnica by the Guildpact.  With the Pact broken, he now has the potential to planeswalk.

But those 10,000 years he was trapped on Ravnica by the Guildpact.  With the Pact broken, he now has the potential to planeswalk.

And the years before and after the guildpact?

Making Niv a planesawlker adds nothing to the character, and i think detracts from him. To be honest, Niv as a planesawlker would basically become a mary sue. (He was like that in the original block but luckily Cory was able to tackle Niv in a way where he showed weakness and humanity).

It took a few hundred years for the guildpact to effectively seal off Ravnica completely. Parhelion was built to try and track down the planar visitors, which had stopped showing up.
Aside from that, what about the FIVE THOUSAND years before the guildpact went up?
And even if he couldn't leave, that doesn't stop him from having access to the infinite mana of an oldwalker and NO BODY.

I imagine the guilds will all still exist in some capacity, even with the Guildpact broken.  They all did something provided some service a massive city-plane needs and/or where the sort of devious schemers you would expect to come out on top of widespread political turmoil anyway. 

-The Boros might fight for somebody else these days, but I  think they'll always find demand for their skills and magic. 
-Selesnya are probably the worst off, and it is implied that they lost at least some high ranking members, but it's not really a strech to assume there are still some fanatical "true beliver" types hanging around somewhere. 
-The Golgari live in areas nobody else wants, and made all the food to boot, so they probably weren't affected that much.  
-House Dimir lost their leader, but most never really knew about him anyway.  They probably do pretty much the same stuff they always did, and it wouldn't suprise me if Jace or even Bolas had some former Dimir on their payroll. 
-Orzhov would probably have been the target of a lot of repressed anti-Guild rage, being the richest and most exploitive generally, but they still have their ghost powers going and some other pretty powerful stuff besides, plus they just seem the type to make it work in their favor. 
-The Gruul are probably still pretty much the same as well. They hardly ever relied on any social order anyway, they were just conviniently destructive.  -The Izzet are the only people who know how lots of Ravnica's magic-based infrastructure works, so someone must be filling their role, or the whole place would probably have gone to hell, same concept as the Golgari. 
-Azorius is another guild that might possibly have collapsed, but someone still needs bureaucrats, so they probably mostly got back to work pretty quick. 
-The Cult of Rakdos might be in trouble, because they aren't really the kind of neighbors most people want to have in their district, but similarly to the Selesnya, there will always be a buch of crazy goblins hanging around. 
-This last one might be personal bias, because they're my favorite guild, but I can't really see the Simic, who are basically devoted to adaptation to new environments, just folding when the going gets rough. They seem more devoted, and also crazier, then that. 

Wow, I didn't mean to do all that, I just got going and couldn't stop.  Anyway, it might bode ill for the guilds that they all are refered to in the past tense in the Ravnica plane description, but either way, I hope they do at least a "Where Are They Now" cycle or two that show what the old guildmages and maybe leaders or lieutenants where possible get up to in the new Ravnica.

Already been partially addressed in Agents of Artifice:
- Boros became the Cloud Winged Guard, mercenary security force for the rich and powerful. No sense of justice, just a sense of cha-ching.
- The Selesnyans were lynched, literally hung from the towers after it got out that the "Life Song" was a planar wide geas that kept the guilds in power and the mobs under thumb. Emmara was a notable member of the guild, and friends with Jace. I'd expect to see her. I will be disappointed if she is green, because it was made quite clear she was white.
- The Golgari seems to have combined with the Gruul. Or at least, Goblins are living in Old Rav and embracing nature... as it is on Ravnica.
- Dimir probably definitely got absorbed by the Infinite Consortium... and Bolas's second organization.
As an aside, I REALLY don't freaking want the Phyrexians getting drawn into this. Tezzeret is on Mirrodin, and Bolas has other gods be damned agents.
- The Orzhov freed their slaves and kept their armies. They utterly abandoned the false religion and just turned into a major mercantile power. The Rich stay rich. The Ghost Council is probably gone, because without the religion, they don't serve much purpose. And the living generally resented them.
- The Izzet and Gruul pretty much didn't change. Niv was still around and still the richest damn thing on the world. The Gruul more or less just chilled or moved to new areas.
- The Azorious just became the government without anybody and any guild empowering them. Skills are skills.
- The Rakdos are fine, we know the most about them.
- The Simic are looooooong gone. And good riddance, they were the worst monsters on the planet. They had a tendency to invent new plagues to see if they could, release the plagues into the crowds to see what it did, and then CHARGED people for the cure. They were inhuman monsters whose only real world analog is Josef Mengele. If the Selesnyans didn't survive there is NO WAY people would have put up with them.

It took a few hundred years for the guildpact to effectively seal off Ravnica completely. Parhelion was built to try and track down the planar visitors, which had stopped showing up.
Aside from that, what about the FIVE THOUSAND years before the guildpact went up?
And even if he couldn't leave, that doesn't stop him from having access to the infinite mana of an oldwalker and NO BODY.

Well, if we go off of the hypothesis that Niv used his own intellect to make himself a planeswalker, why is is surprising that it took him 15000 years?  Even if we ignore that story possibility, if he has a spark, it could easily have never ignited in that time.  He's a dragon.  The only one alive.  He's never been put in a stressful, life-threatening situation.  We can't rule it out as a possibliity that he becaume a planeswalker during the 10,000 of the guildpact or afterwards.

Alright, so, what would that do for his character? Why is it thematically useful for him to become a Planeswalker? What is the utility?

Keep in mind that "because it would be cool" is actually a very bad answer, because it actually doesn't lead to coolness at all. It just leads to alienation--and not like Brechtian "I'm going to make you feel totally strange about this" alienation, more like Michael Bayian "EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS!!!!!1" alienation.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.