[AVR-ICD] Silverblade Paladin

77 posts / 0 new
Last post

Silverblade Paladin

Creature - Human Knight (R)
Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Silverblade Paladin is paired with another creature, both creatures have double strike.
2/2
Yum, delicious double strike.  Giving double strike to an additional creatur seems nice.  Perhaps there's a bit of competition for Mirran Crusader?
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Undecided as to whether or not I like the mechanic. Seems weird.

L1 Judge

Confirmed as the buy-a-box promo, via twitter.

twitter.com/#!/Dr_Jeebus/status/18873177...
Soulbound might be awesome!  I like this card.  I bet some awesome stuff can be done with it.
It's nice that when the first paired creature dies, you can pair this to the next creature that enters the field. The reminder text is unclear about switching pairs though. If this is in play paired to a creature and you play another creature, will you be able to pair it to that creature instead?

EDIT: After reading it again, I guess it isn't that unclear. I think the last sentence is saying that the creature can't be unpaired until one of them leaves the field, including trying to unpair them to pair it to something else.
It looks like if you cast Paladin and pair it with a Sanctuary Cat or whatever, and once the cat dies, you'll have a paladin waiting to be paired with whatever creature you cast next, or any creature you cast later if not the next. As long as you control the Paladin, this seems to be the case. The Paladin does not have to be paired ever, really, but it is useful to do so to give something Double Strike or whatever ability a Soulbound creature provides (such as pairing with a cat early on when that's what you've got, and then with a Primeval Tital when you have better stuff going on...).

It'll be interesting to see other Soulbound cards to see if it is better than just not-bad.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
My Silver blade paladin enters the battle field, my Champion of the Parish is now a 3/3 doublestriker. 

Good WW card, the Flicker angel means this can change who it's paired with if you need to (Like making a 3/4 flying doublestriker pershchance).

I'm liking this mechanic a lot. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Yeah it seems like widows can remarry.

Also, Accorder Paladin seems like a good match for this.
what a strange mechanic.
If one of the paired creatures is destroyed after the first strike damage phase then the other one still deals regular damage even though it lost double strike right? since basically it only lost its first strike damage which it already dealt.
No. Removing double strike from a creature during the first strike combat damage step stops it from dealing regular combat damage later.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yeah it seems like widows can remarry.

Also, Accorder Paladin seems like a good match for this.

Human Knights.dec?

1: Champion of the Parish
2: Accorder Paladin
3: Silverblade Paladin

A 3/3 Champ, a 3/1 boosting double striker, and a 2/2 double striker 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
So, Paired doesn't actually mean anything outside of abilities interacting with it?
What a terrible mechanic.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Okay, this may be me misinterpretting this, but.........

it doesn't actually say that the paladin need be unpaired.

So one could have it pair with a creature when it enters the battlefield then (*without* first paired creature dying) have it pair with every creature that enters the battlefield.

I can't see anything on the card saying that it doesn't work like this.
I'm not quite sure what you're implying. The Pairing mechanic tells you that you can only pair it with an unpaired creature. Given that the Paladin is paired with whatever you targeted, you can't have it pair with something. What do you mean "Every creature that enters the battlefield", how would it be able to pair with those? Are you assuming they all have the mechanic?

Yxoque wrote:

Seems kind of fun with Vault of the archangel...

2 Doublestriking, Deathtouchers with Lifelink... Yes please!
It says that the creature with soulbond can only bond with an unbonded creature. Every creature that comes into play is unbonded. It does not say that the creature with soulbond need be unbonded.

Edit: To clarify: On the card I see nowhere where they restrict the timing of when you can pair a creature with soulbond to an unbonded creature, to when the creature with soulbond is unpaired.  Aka.

Play Chimney Imps
Play Silverblade Paladin
EtBF pair with chimney imps
Play Storm Crow
EtBF (from Silverblade's ability when storm crow EtBF) pair with storm crow. Storm crow was unpaired when the ability went on the stack and that appears to be the only restriction.
It says that the creature with soulbond can only bond with an unbonded creature. Every creature that comes into play is unbonded. It does not say that the creature with soulbond need be unbonded.

I'd advise caution in drawing conclusions.

Italicised text has no rules meaning. The ability will be defined in the CR. It's quite possible that the actual ability will require both creatures be unpaired (and I believe you will find that to be the case.)
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I just saw the "Either" in the rules text.

Yxoque wrote:

I think they use "pair" to free up design space; they can have other mechanics that deal with pairing now, without the clunkiness of things along those lines of being refered to as "soulbonding."
Reminds me a lot of original-version Imprint, where they had to make it a keyword just so they could refer to something specific. Really makes me want to know exactly how the mechanic will work.
Rules Nut Advisor
Although not as bad as Storm, another mechanic that requires too much remembering...
"Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired as long as you control both of them.)"

I believe the phrase "another unpaired creature" implies both creatures need to be unpaired.  Silverblade Paladin is an unpaired creature and X is another unpaired creature.  If Silverblade Paladin was paired, you wouldn't say X was another unpaired creature.  You would say X was another creature and X is unpaired.

It's like the wording on lords.  Lord of the Unreal says "Illusion creatures you control get +1/+1" whereas Elvish Archdruid says "Other Elf creatures you control get +1/+1."  The word "other" implies Elvish Archdruid is an Elf, which is obviously true.  Lord of the Unreal isn't an Illusion so "other" isn't in its rules text.
This is like modern banding. I like it. 
I once made a mechanic in YMTC that was quite similar to this, kind of a comeback of a certain white trademark (creatures working together). 
Although not as bad as Storm, another mechanic that requires too much remembering...

Just, like, put the creatures on top of each other.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Card seems fine for limited anyway although I can see this mechanic being confusing as hell for new players.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Welcome back banding.
From Gavin Verhey's Twitter feed: "The fact that so many people are comparing soulbond to banding makes me really realize how few people know how banding works. :p"

Soulbound seems nothinglike Banding to me, unless there will be a creature made that has Soulbound and it's pair is provided banding. As it is, it is like a personal Lord to one other lucky creature. It is like a lonely Border Guard wins a date with a wonderful Avatar, and both live happily ever after, but end up with one kid that kinda wants to do the same stuff (be a human and give someone Double Strike...). It is one-on-one improvement, like a lord for just one.

How confusing is it, really? Not that my example necessarily "cleared it up," but I'm sure someone will see my view and make it more palatable to the masses...
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
well chances are soul bound creatures will share abilities with each other but that also means they will die together if one is destroyed. Kind of like that percurser golem thing except this gets around creature who are soulbound and also have hexproof. just realised that you can soulbound any creature that enters the battlefield if it has not been paired. That pretty much means that hexproof creatures can be killed if they are soulbound by one of your creatures and your creature then dies or is removed. Shoot with that new angel that exiles with flash back you can then exile your opponents creature and get yours back onto the battle field leavin their exiled. thats nuts.
I have no clue where that hypothesis comes from...nothing indicates that they die together, the reminder text and card text only indicates that either both have Double Strike or none have Double Strike, and that the Soulbound creature provides the possibility to anyone that comes along.
it comes from the word "soulbound" and that they become a "pair" which means you can not have one creature without the other. It would make logical sense to do that so that you can regulate the ability. This way it also makes the mechanic much more involved and requires a player to choose which creature they soulbound carefully.

if they don't have it done this way i will have lost all faith in the wizards design team.  
Lol nifty with doomed traveler.....cast the paladin and give dt double strike the have dt die and give the spirit double strike lol

if they don't have it done this way i will have lost all faith in the wizards design team.  

Start getting disappointed now, then.
it comes from the word "soulbound" and that they become a "pair" which means you can not have one creature without the other. It would make logical sense to do that so that you can regulate the ability. This way it also makes the mechanic much more involved and requires a player to choose which creature they soulbound carefully.

Sorry, it seems they don't have it done that way.

"@TabakRules If one member of a bonded pair leaves the battlefield, can the creature with Soulbond bond to another creature later?
@luminumcan Yes, after an appropriate mourning period. ;-P"

and

"@TabakRules Can soulbond be used multiple times?
@bweisko Not at the same time, but a creature w/ soulbond can pair again if it later becomes unpaired."
Silverblade Paladin
Creature - Human Knight (R)
Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Silverblade Paladin is paired with another creature, both creatures have double strike.
2/2

I don't like this ability.  Unless there are a bunch of flash creatures in the format, like that angel and snapcaster, you wait until they attack with this and the soulbound critter they have, burn or doom blade one, then block their bear with something else.  D'oh.  This guy needs to have first strike at least.  White Knight makes this card look bad because this guy has to have a friend in play with him.

Otherwise, he's a 2/2 for at rare.  Bleah.  Now if AVR limited has about as much removal as the other two sets in this block, he might be great in limited.  But he's only good if he has a buddy.  This should have been UC.
Reminds me of a fixed Banding. XD

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Two creatures with soulbond can pair. Possibly dangerous.

Sorry, it seems they don't have it done that way.

"@TabakRules If one member of a bonded pair leaves the battlefield, can the creature with Soulbond bond to another creature later?
@luminumcan Yes, after an appropriate mourning period. ;-P"

and

"@TabakRules Can soulbond be used multiple times?
@bweisko Not at the same time, but a creature w/ soulbond can pair again if it later becomes unpaired."

I am now sadly dissapointed. A great way for a new ability that would have helped with the whole hexproof situation being failed. My faith is now lost... who am i kidding i never had faith in MTG actually creating something that made any sense to me.   

I am now sadly dissapointed. A great way for a new ability that would have helped with the whole hexproof situation being failed. My faith is now lost... who am i kidding i never had faith in MTG actually creating something that made any sense to me.

It wouldn't have done anything about the "hexproof situation", because if it worked the way you wanted it nobody would ever soulbond their hexproof creatures in the first place.

Sign In to post comments