Pathfinder? Is this the right forum?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure where to post this so it wound up here.
I'm looking for some input on Pathfinder. Like what it is. How well it plays with D&D. Would you recomend it? Are there a lot of books to buy?
I've seen talk/reference to it quite a few times so I'm guessing it's pretty good?
What version of D&D is it compatible with? 3.5?

I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NWN 2)

Pathfinder is another version of 3.5.  When WotC produced their changes to 3.0, a number of companies and individuals did not agree with what they did.  Paizo did the right thing in not just developing their own game, but setting up support for it.

There are differences between 3.5 and Pathfinder, but I consider them relatively minor (although a Pathfinder person can probably list them).  In my opinion, both are munchkin versions of 3.0.  I however often acquire Pathfinder material because it is cheap and has some imaginative sections worth adapting into my own style of play.
I'm looking for some input on Pathfinder. Like what it is. How well it plays with D&D. Would you recomend it? Are there a lot of books to buy?
I've seen talk/reference to it quite a few times so I'm guessing it's pretty good?

If you post questions about Pathfinder on these boards the Previous Editions may be where they should be.  You could get answers here but you should get a better response from Paizo's own forums.

I haven't really looked at it closely (I basically stopped with DnD when 4e came out.) but understand it to be a "next step" in third edition.  Call it DnD 3.6 if you will.  It takes the public domain 3.5 rules and makes a few tweaks but I believe most of it will be compatible with 3.5 even more so then how 3.0 and 3.5 are compatable.

It's decent, and I often hear it referenced as 3.75.  It is compatible with 3.5 (according to Paizo's website), the only problem is that many PF DMs prefer not to use D&D books with it.

"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Another common term is 3.P

On the negative side there are some changes 3E fans didn't like, usually concerning feats. In their perspective those feats got unnecessarily nerfed, such as feats dedicated to tripping and Power Attack. I find it a matter of taste, but the critiques are sincere. If the changes bother you enough you can use the 3E feats without a problem.

However, for those who loathe 3E with a passion Pathfinder does not satisfy them, and they will bash it just as hard complaining it didn't fix anything. Ignore them. They cannot be happy without a complete overhaul of the game, which is what 4E did and where you'll find them. They just get their jollies bashing 3E/Pathfinder for the sake of jollies.
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!

What pathfinder did is address a lot, if not all, of the balance issues with 3.5.

A lot of spells got nerfed, particularly save or dies. Most such things do damage or have more temporary effects.

Melee classes got buffs seriously. Now, this wasn't a COMBAT RULES buff, but the classes themselves are seriously tougher then in 3.5.

Spellcasters got some buffs, but with spell nerfage, especially in the polymorph line and some of the most abusable clerical buffs/templates/feats, they aren't quite as overblown as before...but they can be, if you're the kind to abuse things.

Magic items are largely the same, and most should port over decently. Feats 'can' port over, but there are some seriously broken feats that should simply be barred from PF play (like Persistent Spell and Divine Metamagic, etc) and ditto with spells (you'll never see Wraithstrike at a PF table). In general, every class has something going for it at every level.

The Power Attack naysayers tend to be the sort who think 50 Str and Wraithstrike are desirable attributes for Melee people so they can turn all attacks into touch attacks, dump all BAB into Power Attack, and still hit every time so they can indulge in nuclear armaggedeon combat rounds.  PF Power Attack is actually statistically stronger then that in 3.5, but also more controlled and less abusable.

There are very few Prestige Classes in PF, and most are tied to organizations. Their role has been taken over by archetypes, which are basically core classes with different abilities and focuses...what PrC's should have been all along. As a result, most PrC's should not be ported into PF from 3.5.

There is no flaw system, but there are 'traits' people can take, basically half-feats that can provide bonuses or some flavor from background.

Magic items use only cash now, because XP escalates much faster in PF and so isn't a viable control mechanic anymore. The item construction rules are basically the same. wealth by level is higher, so PC's can carry more gear, but not extremely so.

There's less spell list abuse in making items, but it's still possible. Paizo hasn't learned the spell list lesson from 3.5 yet, I guess.

Most spellcasters have 'domains' - clerics and druids get domains, wizards get specialty schools, sorcerors get bloodlines, witches get patrons, oracles get spheres, etc.

Favored class benefits exist to reward single classing over multi-classing.

There's more high level fighter support, although feats are notably still less powerful then most class abilities, which is truly annoying. They even kept the weapon spec tree the same!

New/different classes include the cavaliar (a samurai is a cavaliar archetype), ninja (monk/rogue), witch (arcane caster granted spells), oracle (spontaneous divine caster), inquisitor (fighter/cleric), magus (fighter/wizard) and gunfighter (fighter archetype).  All the standard classes got overhauls. There's also a lot more race-only stuff associated with the game.

The primary game world is designed more Greyhawk then FR, supporting wildly different styles of play with notably fewer high level characters around, and hugely different socieities sometimes next door to one another, without any of them seeming out of place and with many epic threats around.

=Aelryinth

Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you
www.d20pfsrd.com/

This is the link the d20 pathfinder SRD and information about everything you might want to know about the game. It also has a Pathfinder Wiki you can google.

==Aelryinth
Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you
Sign In to post comments