Dwarf Barbarian for Lair Assault

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have recently retuurned from a VERY long hiatus of playing D&D.  I'm new to all that is 4e and frankly, find it quite fun.  I have managed to play this current session of Encounters and it has been a lot of fun.  Bought a few books blah blah blah and have been running a Sorcerer Elementalist.  While he has been a lot of fun, I found that I miss running up and hitting stuff in the face, so I decided to give a go at one of my ole favorites, the Dwarf.  While essentially the same from when I played, they are a tad differnet and seem like I will enjoy it all the same.  I will be playing my first Lair Assault with him and hope to use the same guy with the next instalment of Encounters.  Yes, he will be deleveld.  Also, with all the new stuff coming out for the Underdark, I hope to amass enough stuff to either run a campaign or get a GM that would like to run an Underdark campaign.  Anyway I am ramblin here.

My question is this: Will a build like this work in the long run? More specifically, is improved defenses worth it, or would I be better served with something else?  I'm sure there are more optimal builds, but I  tend to lean more towards flavor.  Any and all advice welcome and thanks in advance.  (The majority of the build is from one of LDBs)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Travok, level 6
Gold Dwarf, Barbarian
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Gold Dwarf (Dungeoneering class skill)
Theme: Escaped Slave

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 16, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 20 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 17
HP: 61 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +11, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +12, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +3, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +5, Intimidate +3, Nature +5, Religion +3, Stealth +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Escaped Slave Feature: Hidden Strike
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Desperate Fury
Barbarian Attack 1: Swift Panther Rage
Barbarian Utility 2: Shrug It Off
Barbarian Attack 3: Brutal Slam
Barbarian Attack 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Barbarian Utility 6: Combat Surge

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Master at Arms
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Hammer)
Level 6: Battle Awareness

ITEMS
Bloodmaul Maul +2 x1
Bestial Hide Armor +1 x1
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
Cape of the Mountebank +1 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Chain (10 ft.)
Climber's Kit
Everburning Torch
Flask (empty)
Torch
Oil (1 pint)
Residuum (Any)
Crowbar
Blessed Soil
Ball bearings
Gambler's gear
Sacks
Chalk and slate
Jar of glowworms
Map case
Potion of Healing (2)
====== End ======

Dont mind the adventuring gear, I was just messing around. 

Please, no spoliers concerning LA. Laughing 

As far as LA goes, you will most likely get torn to shreads.  Improved Defenses is not worth it.  Weapon Focus and Battle Awareness(you might as well hybrid with Fighter if you want the flavor IMO) could be replaced by a more useful feats.  I know you said you are more about flavor than optimal builds, however LA is brutal and to be honest having your stats spread so thin is a huge disadvantage.  It is all up to you but personally I like to use the array of 17,15,13,10,10,8.
Are you against playing a different race? Mechanically speaking your dwarf racial feats build toward defender classes over others.  Human would give you a bonus to your secondaries anyway and throw in an extra feat and at will to boot as well.
LA isn't really meant for character development.  Unless your character is developing into a blood splat on the floor.  Then it is all about char dev.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here