Season 9 info?

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any info on season 9?  I took a couple seasons off but I hope to jump back in next season.  Any information such as what new book is supported?  What world it takes place in?  Will it still be starting at first level?  etc?  Thanks!
Web of the Spider Queen is the name for the next season. It takes place in the Forgotten Realms. The end of Elder Elemental Eye suggests they are loosely connected. No information about starting at higher levels.

Product wise I'm assumming the Dungeon Survival Guide is the book supported. It comes out the day before season 9 starts.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Thank you Feetz.

I just ran across this on the Facebook page.  Answers most of my questions:

www.wizards.com/dnd/drow.aspx#dnd/drow/1...

This looks very fun.  I can't wait.     

looks like we will be dealing with the Underdark and/or Drow quite a bit.  

From the Book Wyrms article HERE:  "Over the course of the rest of the year, you'll see aspects of this story crop up in five novels, several convention gaming events (including one at last weekend's PAX East), three seasons of D&D Encounters, two D&D Lair Assault events, and beyond."
emphasis mine. 

woot! 

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

I added information on the next three seasons (and Lair Assault) here. They are indeed Drow themed!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Thanks for the info Alpha.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Since the next three seasons of Encounters will be dealing with this huge story arc, does anyone know if WOTC will finally allow players to play the same characters all the way through without having to start over at level 1 each time? It would make for a really great campaign.
- Rico
I sure hope not.

We get a lot of first time players and players returning from previous editions (like AD&D previous) using Encounters as their chance to sit down and learn the rules or even just learn how an RPG works compared to boardgames, wargames or cardgames.  Low level characters alllow quicker startup without option paralysis adding to the intimidation factor of sitting down with a bunch of strangers and trying to get the hang of what you can do with a standard action or how healing surges work.  Plus, you don't feel so bad when they die 

That said, we do have a group that started as an Encounters group but just decided to play D&D together and has been using the adventures to run a continuing campaign.  I think this season will be their 3rd adventure in.  Beyond the same source material it doesn't have anything to do with Encounters, though.  They don't get promo cards or keep track of Glory Points or run on Wednesdays or anything like that.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

I mentioned in the DM-only thread that, at my shop, we've decided to give anyone who played this season  +2 renown if they make their next-season character have a personal tie to this season's PC. It's not the same as playing the same guy, of course, but it can be a good way to build a continuous storyline for the players.
D&D Encounters: Web of the Spider Queen – Preview now available at Dungeon’s Master.com.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

I'm saddened. Ours haven't arrived yet. I hope they get here before next week, since we'd like to have a week to prepare before Session Zero.
I'm also saddened by Week 0 and absolutely no concern for the July 4th week.  We're going to end up having to run everything a week early because our FLGS is closed on July 4th.  I'd be surprised if many other stores aren't closed that day as well.
Ah, I forgot about July 4. I've contacted our coordinator and the shop owner so we can plan accordingly.

Curse you, American holidays!
Has anyone got any word on "allowed" races/classes for Season 9 "Web of the Spider Queen" yet? some of my Encounters players are already asking what the options are so that they can begin creating their new pc's.

Someone put up a great link to a pdf for the current seasons options (and I apologise wholeheartedly for forgetting who).

Many thanks in advance guys, these forums have been invaluable to me during my first season running Encounters.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

According to the adventure, race allowed this season are: Dragonborn, Drow, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Goblin, Half-Elf, Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Kobold, Svirfneblin, and Tiefling.

Players can use Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Guide, Heroes of the Forgotten Lands, and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

Is there a good resource to get DM's up to speed on drow who are not already familiar with them?
According to the adventure, race allowed this season are: Dragonborn, Drow, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Goblin, Half-Elf, Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Kobold, Svirfneblin, and Tiefling.

Players can use Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Guide, Heroes of the Forgotten Lands, and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom.

many thanks

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/

Is there a good resource to get DM's up to speed on drow who are not already familiar with them?

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page is quite good though not fully updated with all the 4e stuff.

I sure hope not.

We get a lot of first time players and players returning from previous editions (like AD&D previous) using Encounters as their chance to sit down and learn the rules or even just learn how an RPG works compared to boardgames, wargames or cardgames.  Low level characters alllow quicker startup without option paralysis adding to the intimidation factor of sitting down with a bunch of strangers and trying to get the hang of what you can do with a standard action or how healing surges work.  Plus, you don't feel so bad when they die 

I'm only suggesting that it be an option for those who want to do it. They could easily provide one page of simple guidelines for how to level up the encounters accordingly.
- Rico
I'm also saddened by Week 0 and absolutely no concern for the July 4th week.  We're going to end up having to run everything a week early because our FLGS is closed on July 4th.  I'd be surprised if many other stores aren't closed that day as well.

And even if the stores aren't closed, I imagine most people will not be available.
- Rico
And even if the stores aren't closed, I imagine most people will not be available.

I worry a lot less about that, since we might lose some players, while others will be free simply because it's a holiday.

In any case, I do note that Session 6, which can be completed without combat, is the week before July 4th. It may be possible to run a double session covering sessions 6 and 7 the week before the holiday.
Is there anyway an FLGS can get their hands on "The Sun Never Rises?" There were rewards in the kits for people who played the event at PAX.

WotC issued and printed enough awards to send out with their Encounters mods worldwide. There's D&D public play across the globe, and they're printing and offering a reward for an event that only a few hundred (dozen?) people were able to play. Blows my mind.

Week 0 is probably going to be a dead week at my FLGS. People just show up with characters already made, or don't show up at all, and report for Week 1 with characters already made. Running SNR for Week 0, especially since there's a reward for playing that can be used during the season, might be a good draw for an FLGS.

On top of that, WotC says they're running this season like they did last year with Neverwinter. Where's our Drow Games Day? With swag bags? (I still have my Neverwinter swag bag. It wasn't much... But it still showed some care and attention for the fan base.)

58286228 wrote:
As a DM, I find it easier to just punish the players no matter what they pick, as I assume they will pick stuff that is broken. I mean, fight after fight they kill all the monsters without getting killed themselves! What sort of a game is this, anyway?

An insightful observation about the nature of 4e, and why it hasn't succeeded as well as other editions. (from the DDN General Discussions, 2014-05-07)

Rundell wrote:

Emerikol wrote:

Foxface wrote:

4e was the "modern" D&D, right?  The one that had design notes that drew from more modern games, and generally appealed to those who preferred the design priorities of modern games.  I'm only speculating, but I'd hazard a guess that those same 4e players are the ones running the wide gamut of other games at Origins.

D&D 4e players are pretty much by definition the players who didn't mind, and often embraced, D&D being "different".  That willingness to embrace the different might also mean they are less attached to 4e itself, and are willing to go elsewhere.

This is a brilliant insight.  I was thinking along those lines myself.  

There are so many tiny indie games that if you added them all together they would definitely rival Pathfinder.   If there were a dominant game for those people it would do better but there is no dominant game.  Until 4e, the indie people were ignored by the makers of D&D.

Yep. 4E was embraced by the 'system matters' crowd who love analyzing and innovating systems. That crowd had turned its back on D&D as a clunky anachronism. But with 4E, their design values were embraced and validated. 4E was D&D for system-wonks. And with support for 4E pulled, the system-wonks have moved on to other systems. The tropes and traditions of D&D never had much appeal for them anyway. Now there are other systems to learn and study. It's like boardgamegeeks - always a new system on the horizon. Why play an ancient games that's seven years old?

Of course, not all people who play and enjoy 4E fit that mould. I'm running a 4E campaign right now, and my long-time D&D players are enjoying it fine. But with the system-wonks decamping, the 4E players-base lost the wind in its sails.

There were rewards in the kits for people who played the event at PAX.

In the organizer instructions, though, it says to give out those rewards to non-PAX players as well-- it's just the PAX players get a guaranteed goodie.

I agree about the Neverwinter Day/goodie bag. Those were awesome, and went hand in hand with the best season so far. 
I'm just cheduled to be DM, but when he opened the package, he told me that it said those rewards were for people who played "The Sun Never Rises," and we didn't have a copy of SNR. But we're supposed to give it out to players, anyway?

Seems fair.

But the question still remains: Can we get our hands on a copy of SNR? It would be a great Week 0 pull, when people may not normally show up.

58286228 wrote:
As a DM, I find it easier to just punish the players no matter what they pick, as I assume they will pick stuff that is broken. I mean, fight after fight they kill all the monsters without getting killed themselves! What sort of a game is this, anyway?

An insightful observation about the nature of 4e, and why it hasn't succeeded as well as other editions. (from the DDN General Discussions, 2014-05-07)

Rundell wrote:

Emerikol wrote:

Foxface wrote:

4e was the "modern" D&D, right?  The one that had design notes that drew from more modern games, and generally appealed to those who preferred the design priorities of modern games.  I'm only speculating, but I'd hazard a guess that those same 4e players are the ones running the wide gamut of other games at Origins.

D&D 4e players are pretty much by definition the players who didn't mind, and often embraced, D&D being "different".  That willingness to embrace the different might also mean they are less attached to 4e itself, and are willing to go elsewhere.

There are so many tiny indie games that if you added them all together they would definitely rival Pathfinder.   If there were a dominant game for those people it would do better but there is no dominant game.  Until 4e, the indie people were ignored by the makers of D&D.

Yep. 4E was embraced by the 'system matters' crowd who love analyzing and innovating systems. That crowd had turned its back on D&D as a clunky anachronism. But with 4E, their design values were embraced and validated. 4E was D&D for system-wonks. And with support for 4E pulled, the system-wonks have moved on to other systems. The tropes and traditions of D&D never had much appeal for them anyway. Now there are other systems to learn and study. It's like boardgamegeeks - always a new system on the horizon. Why play an ancient games that's seven years old?

Of course, not all people who play and enjoy 4E fit that mould. I'm running a 4E campaign right now, and my long-time D&D players are enjoying it fine. But with the system-wonks decamping, the 4E players-base lost the wind in its sails.

What I would consider, if you really want a session 0 adventure, is a way to better tie this season to last season, since they are part of a meta-plotline.  Put together an encounter of low-level drow, tharizdun cultists, and/or spiders.  While staying at an inn in Iraebor, the party members were present to see the ambush from last season, and when the heroes of last season win, they get rushed by reinforcements.

Enter the new PC's, who can opt to help the characters from last season by fighting off the mooks.  Thus, the finale of last season is now the prologue for this season.  Instead of awarding xp, you could, if the event organizer approves, hand out the SNR rewards to the players attending session 0. 
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
I'm just cheduled to be DM, but when he opened the package, he told me that it said those rewards were for people who played "The Sun Never Rises," and we didn't have a copy of SNR. But we're supposed to give it out to players, anyway?

Seems fair.

The organizer instructions say to give it to folks who went to PAX first, then give it as a more general reward at organizer/DM discretion. Your organizer might not have read that page?

But the question still remains: Can we get our hands on a copy of SNR? It would be a great Week 0 pull, when people may not normally show up.

I somehow doubt it, considering the deafening silence WotC has given in response to "can we get Encounters modules outside of Encounters?" and "Can we get Lair Assault outside of LA?" and "can we get the Neverwinter game day if we didn't run Game Day?"

In other words: historically, WotC has not provided exclusive material if you weren't at the exclusive event. 
While staying at an inn in Iraebor, the party members were present to see the ambush from last season, and when the heroes of last season win, they get rushed by reinforcements.

And this is the kind of idea that I stay on the forums for.

Brilliant. Thanks! 
You're very welcome, glad I could be of service.  ^_^
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks

I worry a lot less about that, since we might lose some players, while others will be free simply because it's a holiday.

Well, I'm a DM and I won't be available. I'll be spending the holiday with friends/family.

In any case, I do note that Session 6, which can be completed without combat, is the week before July 4th. It may be possible to run a double session covering sessions 6 and 7 the week before the holiday.

That's a pretty good idea. I'll be getting my copy of the adventure tonight, so I'll definitely take a look at that to see how I can make it work.

- Rico
I just read it over during lunch. It's a series of solo skill challenges. Unless you have 2 DMs per table that week, I don't think there's time to do both.
I just read it over during lunch. It's a series of solo skill challenges. Unless you have 2 DMs per table that week, I don't think there's time to do both.

I just got my copy of the adventure tonight, and haven't read session 6 yet. I'll have to figure out something.

On another subject, I notice that the final encounter does not list the XP/character amount. I tallied the monsters in it and came up with 1331 total points for the encounter. Assuming a party of 5 that would yield 266 XP per character (round down to 250?) Does anyone have any other result? 

The reason I'm asking is that I totaled up the maximum amount of XP that the PCs can earn for the adventure up to that encounter, and came up with 3,580. 4th level is 3,750, so if the last encounter is worth 250ish XP, the party should make 4th at the end of the adventure. Since I'm seriously considering running all three seasons, and allowing my players to continue on with the same charactrers, they should start the next season at level 4. 
- Rico
When designing these adventures I knew the PCs needed to have attained a specific level at the end of each chapter. Since there is no way PCs would survive actually challenge of that amount of XP in 3 fights, xp has been added at some points just for leveling purposes, although you can kind of hide it behind story and RP rewards. In this particular case, if the last encounter, just give them xp so that they are level 4 and call that different quest award for finishing the season ;)
On another subject, I notice that the final encounter does not list the XP/character amount. I tallied the monsters in it and came up with 1331 total points for the encounter. Assuming a party of 5 that would yield 266 XP per character (round down to 250?) Does anyone have any other result? 

The final session for this season did have an XP reward listed, on page 49, under "Reward." They get 300 XP for the session, totalling 3750 XP for the season.
The final session for this season did have an XP reward listed, on page 49, under "Reward." They get 300 XP for the session, totalling 3750 XP for the season.

I totalled up the maximum XP possible for all the other sessions in Web of the Spider Queen and it came to 3,580 (if I added correctly). So, even if the final session is only 250 XP, it should still be enough. I was just surprised that it wasn't included.
- Rico
Is there anyway an FLGS can get their hands on "The Sun Never Rises?" There were rewards in the kits for people who played the event at PAX.

WotC issued and printed enough awards to send out with their Encounters mods worldwide. There's D&D public play across the globe, and they're printing and offering a reward for an event that only a few hundred (dozen?) people were able to play. Blows my mind.

Week 0 is probably going to be a dead week at my FLGS. People just show up with characters already made, or don't show up at all, and report for Week 1 with characters already made. Running SNR for Week 0, especially since there's a reward for playing that can be used during the season, might be a good draw for an FLGS.

On top of that, WotC says they're running this season like they did last year with Neverwinter. Where's our Drow Games Day? With swag bags? (I still have my Neverwinter swag bag. It wasn't much... But it still showed some care and attention for the fan base.)

Chris Tulach, the leader of Organized Play at Wizards, put out a call a couple weeks ago saying that if coordinators of public events wanted to run The Sun Never Rises, contact him for information. You can probably get in touch with him through the forums or at his wizards.com email address.
!!! Thanks for posting that. I didn't know they'd done that-- been organizer/co-organizer for several seasons and 2 years of LFR.
Can we please get a separate forum for the new season?
- Rico
I have to say, as far as having an interesting variety of monsters and mechanics within the monsters, this module is one of the best of the encounters seasons. When presented with a single species of opponents and their allies, the author contributed a very good variety within the drow ranks.
Actually, looking through the module, I was afraid that my table would tire of fighting drow every encounter... Saw some spiders at end but for the most part...
Chris Tulach, the leader of Organized Play at Wizards, put out a call a couple weeks ago saying that if coordinators of public events wanted to run The Sun Never Rises, contact him for information. You can probably get in touch with him through the forums or at his wizards.com email address.

I sent him a message via his profile here on the forum boards, but I haven't heard a reply as of yet. I'm hoping to get a response soon.

58286228 wrote:

Rundell wrote:

Emerikol wrote:

Foxface wrote:

Ok... To be fair without being spoilery, yes there are a lot of drow but there are some other creatures sprinkled in too.
Sign In to post comments