Wizards Announces DOTP 2013

293 posts / 0 new
Last post
As expected, Wizards has chosen PAX East to announce Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, but you can find an announcement in this Arcana.

Some notable features:

- In addition to Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, the game will be available on iPad. So if you wanted Duels on the go, there you go.

- The new format is Planechase, to tie into the Planechase decks that will be released in June.

- Manual Land Tapping is supported, but optional.

- Nicol Bolas is the game's boss.
Amazing.

I hope the decks don't have so many filler cards.
This sounds like some good news. I'm curious to see how they approach manual land tapping for consoles. I'm also very interested in Planechase and hoping that will end up as a better "gimmick" mode for DotP compared to Archenemy. Archenemy always felt like a flop because it's teambased, but the power level of DotP decks can be a little on the low side that an Archenemy could sort of "hide" behind the power of Schemes. The FFA nature of Planechase can sort of self-balance itself if things get too crazy where other players can form and break alliances as the power shifts when plane jumping.

Duels on the go seems pretty sweet as well by the way.
I didn't believe in manual land tapping, but here it is, so that's one up to Wizards.
Microbles can now crawl from the rock he's under and start the communication he promised
"Meet the New Boss: Nicol Bolas" is some overstatement as he was the boss in both previous games, but wouldn't expect anything else.

So the next thing the game needs now is less bugs, and much less connection/synch problems. I didn't believe they'd do it till now, but if they are adding manual tapping, who knows, maybe there is hope.
I was expecting this announcement on Pax as well. Nevertheless, this is good news and good to have land tapping.

Expect screenshots and videos this weekend.

And then let the screenshot dissection begin    
No way, iPad release AND manual land tapping ?!?! I think I'm still dreaming and I wake up to see the entire WoTC staff laughing at me for believing. No, it's got to be an illusion.

BRING ME IPAD APP NOWWWWWW !!! If this has multiplayer on the iPad, I'm going to poop bricks. If this doesn't have a lot of card/rule bugs and AI that doesn't cringe and fail when 10 or more cards are in play, I'm going to eat those bricks, live on the internets.
iPad format? Amazing! May be the the excuse I needed to buy one.
DOTP on iPad? Thank you WOTC.
The only downside is that divorce lawyers are going to make a killing...

DOTP on iPad? Thank you WOTC.
The only downside is that divorce lawyers are going to make a killing...

hahaha - that sounds about right.
WOW...they actually implemented manual land tapping.  Colour me surprised.  That would instantly make some of the decks from 2012 far more playable.  

All they need to do now is to fix the existing bugs, and have little to no new ones, and an increase in variety of the decks and I will probably pick it up. 

The iPad version could end up being the version to get as well...I can imagine the UI for it could possibly be even better than the PC version.  Shame I don't have a PC that could run it or an iPad though.  I hope having to develop a new UI for the iPad and introducing manual land tapping means that they will also improve the UI for the console versions...trying to select a specific card when there is a lot on the battle field becomes a chore.  Also, lets hope "may..." actually means "may..." this time.

One for three at the moment Wizards...if you meet the other two conditions I will probably have to give up my cash again.
Not sure whether the iPad announcement is good or bad. Will it bring in lots of new players, or will it fragment further the existing playerbase. Answers on a postcard...
Finally we have an announcement!

1. DotP on iPad? Nice. I don't have an ipad but I remember all the threads on these forums that requested a mobile version of this game.

2. Planechase. I was expecting this. Hope it turns out as a good MP mode. Archenemy was fun but no one wants to play it online.

3.Optional Mana Tapping of Lands??? YES! This was one of the most requested features since Duels09. I hope we also get more nonbasic lands and a mana pool now, with manual tapping this shouldn't be a problem.

4. New decks, new challenges: Okay, new decks and new challenges are obvious. Please, let the new decks be less aggro ( I want a good green aggro deck with [C]Strangleroot Geist[/C], [C]Young Wolf[/C] and [C]Vorapede[/C]  this time though!)

5.Meet the new boss? Why is Nicol Bolas the new boss? He was the boss in the first expansion of dotp09 and the Archenemy boss in dotp2012. It seems that he's the main campaign boss this time. Hope we can unlock his deck.

Overall I'm pretty excited. Can't wait to see new decks, the new Planechase mode, new UI, manual mana tapping, (maybe improved deck editing?) and a new game table :D

I guess we'll get the first footage tomorrow.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

WoooooooooHooooooooooo, at last we get an announcement. I'm glad Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker is the main boss this time as that hopefully means we will be getting his deck at some point. Manual land tapping sounds great, hopefully that means more tri-coloured decks as they they were a chore to play in 2012 and 09 because of no manual land tapping. Also I've never played Planeschase and know very little about it, but I'm still excited for it, I think I'll have to go and look it up and see what it's all about.
This promises to be very interesting.  Hopefully this also means we'll have more multi colored decks that are also more creative at the same time and less of almost every deck having the same theme:  aggro.  I don't like to play aggro style anyways.  I'm not going to get excited though.  I'm still going to take a wait and see approach considering the problems we've had with the past two games.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Besides the manual land-tapping, that announcement was seriously underwhelming. When you have to announce Nicol Bolas as the "new" boss, you're grasping at straws. It's hilarious to see all the people who complain nonstop about dotp 2012 and saying how they won't buy the new game now falling all over themselves in excitement with raging boners from this announcement.
It's a shame it's not iPhone 4S from the start, but as it's got the same resolution as the lesser iPads I can only hope that they tweek it down for that too (as that's where the actual mass market is currently).  If Ascension works on the iPhone then I can't see why MTG can't.

Good announce too, hopefully they throw the M13 anouncement as well as the D13 at PAX as AVR is so close that it won't ruin the event.

Hmmm...after reading the actual announcement it seems a little underwhelming.  They also don't say if they have added something that I think is essential to make the next game viable...the END STEP!  It is ridiculous having people play sorceries or creatures after they have passed their turn.

Can't believe I forgot about that in my last post...for me to buy the game they will need to, address bugs, introduce manual land tapping, have more varied decks, introduce the end step.  They have announced that one of those conditions are met.  I hope they follow through with the rest as I would like to purchase the next game but probably won't if it is as sloppy as 2012.
DOTP on Ipad = No bugs

Theres no way they can release this game on a tablet as well as PC and consoles and have it buggy. Tablets are the widest audiences for gaming
DOTP on Ipad = No bugs

Theres no way they can release this game on a tablet as well as PC and consoles and have it buggy. Tablets are the widest audiences for gaming

I suppose this also leads to the hope that they will fix any bugs that do occur as they have to go through Apple verification.  Plus, if there are bugs and Wizards decided to ignore everybody again there will be an alternate way to get problems addressed...sending through complaints to Apple themselves.  If enough people complain about the product to Apple they can in turn put pressure on Wizards or threaten to pull the product from the itunes store.  Not 100% sure but I think something similar happened to a EA Battlefield game that eventually had to be pulled by EA due to complaints.
Hmmm...after reading the actual announcement it seems a little underwhelming.  They also don't say if they have added something that I think is essential to make the next game viable...the END STEP!  It is ridiculous having people play sorceries or creatures after they have passed their turn.

While I suppose we can still be worried it might not be included, but I think I would be embarrassed to "market" that Magic (DotP) now has a proper End Step. Both automatic tapping and lack of real upkeep/end phases were design decisions, but automatic tapping can pretty much get it right most of the time. The lack of the End Step just brought about flaws in game flow/design due to the nature of sorcery and instant speed spells. There is a reason it exists in "real" Magic and it shouldn't have been missing in the first place.

www.majorspoilers.com/gaming-duels-of-th...

10 decks. Looks like that guy who wrote in the other thread about 10 decks was right. He said there would be be 5 dual color decks and 5 mono ones. Clearly, the leak is still on.  
It's a shame it's not iPhone 4S from the start, but as it's got the same resolution as the lesser iPads I can only hope that they tweek it down for that too (as that's where the actual mass market is currently).  If Ascension works on the iPhone then I can't see why MTG can't.

It's not the resolution that's the biggest problem, but the screen size. Since you need your fingers to select stuff and selecting stacked cards is already difficult enough. Even on the PC, with a 32" full HD screen, I'm having issues with selecting cards. If it works well on the iPad, I'll find it a miracle. If it works well on the iPhone, it's divine intervention.

Illustration:

IMAGE(http://users.edpnet.be/phunc/iphone_vs_ipad.jpg)

10 decks. Looks like that guy who wrote in the other thread about 10 decks was right. He said there would be be 5 dual color decks and 5 mono ones. Clearly, the leak is still on.  

10 decks, huh?  Hope that the mono-colored decks are different enough to keep players interested. I really don't want a third :W: Soldiers deck... or a :G::B: Elves deck...

We will see tomorrow.

10 decks, huh?  Hope that the mono-colored decks are different enough to keep players interested. I really don't want a third :W: Soldiers deck... or a :G::B: Elves deck...

We will see tomorrow.

Ill second that, What dual colours are we missing, B/R?. I suppose we could guess at W/U and R/G seems as they didnt make an appearance in 2012.

I want the mono colours to be different but stick to their themes. Blue control, green ramp etc. this time though lets have the decks work. Koth's deck was just plain bad.

Red/blue should be done properly this time, they came close each time but never nailed it.  
The guy said: They are, there will be Red-White, Blue-Black, Red-Green, Black-White, Green-Blue, and Five color decks, and at least 3 deck pack DLCs later.

--------------

I hope the green blue is the spider spawning deck, that would be a cool choice :D

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

The guy said: They are, there will be Red-White, Blue-Black, Red-Green, Black-White, Green-Blue, and Five color decks, and at least 3 deck pack DLCs later.

--------------

I hope the green blue is the spider spawning deck, that would be a cool choice :D

Blue back artifacts deck? Strange that theyd put red-white in and no U/W

It's not the resolution that's the biggest problem, but the screen size. Since you need your fingers to select stuff and selecting stacked cards is already difficult enough. Even on the PC, with a 32" full HD screen, I'm having issues with selecting cards. If it works well on the iPad, I'll find it a miracle. If it works well on the iPhone, it's divine intervention.

I suggested the following as a solution for the consoles in another thread, 

*A better UI/display of information - Currently, it is almost impossible to navigate to specific cards when there are a lot on screen; for easier selection of cards in general - press a button on the controller to allow the cursor to go into free scroll mode and you can move it around like a mouse, when you press it again it clicks to the card nearest the cursor. When trying to select a specific attached equipment or enchantment - instead of having to use the right stick to try and select a specific attached card (a nightmare when there are more than 2 cards or more attached to a creature), highlight the creature that the artifact/enchantment is attached to, click triangle and the game brings up all the cards attached to said creature onto the screen horizontally for selection, very similar to how the graveyard is shown when viewed currently.

If they implemented the above for the consoles I think they could quite easily transfer it over and use that for an iPad version as well. 
I don't think you'd need to suspect them picking up large UI changes a few months before the game release. The basics was probably finished last year with iPad use in mind, I guess they are now polishing the engine, working out most of the bugs.

--------------

If the "guy" was true with the colors then here are my deck wishes:

Show
:B::U: Mill with [C]Nemesis of Reason[/C] and [C]Mind Funeral[/C] or Innistrad Block Zombie/Skaab Deck with [C]Gravecrawler[/C], [C]Headless Skaab[/C] and more.

:R::W: Aggro like March to War.

:R::G: Come on, let this be werewolves! Awooo :D It would be really awesome.

:B::W: Tokens with [C]Gather the Townsfolk[/C], [C]Thraben Doomsayer[/C], [C]Intangible Virtue[/C], [C]Sorin, Lord of Innistrad[/C], [C]Altar's Reap[/C] and [C]Ravenous Demon[/C].

:G::U: Selfmill or Madness. A control deck with counters , ramp and green finishers would be nice, too.

:R: Goblins

:G: This time I want a good green deck with ramp, early efficient creatures like [C]Strangleroot Geist[/C] and [C]Young Wolf[/C] and crazy finishers. Removal should be [C]Prey Upon[/C] and stuff.

:W: Control deck with wraths and angels.

:U: Control deck with counters, bounce and card draw.

:B: Innistrad Vampires maybe? Don't know about :B: yet.

...I guess they are now polishing the engine, working out most of the bugs.

We can only hope lol

While I suppose we can still be worried it might not be included, but I think I would be embarrassed to "market" that Magic (DotP) now has a proper End Step. Both automatic tapping and lack of real upkeep/end phases were design decisions, but automatic tapping can pretty much get it right most of the time. The lack of the End Step just brought about flaws in game flow/design due to the nature of sorcery and instant speed spells. There is a reason it exists in "real" Magic and it shouldn't have been missing in the first place.

Yeah, I suppose they could just be embarrassed by the lack of it up until now.  They need to implement it anyhow, so hopefully they had the foresight to design the new game with that in place from the start.

Yeah nice, it's here

After better deckediting and Online 2HG we get the next important step: Manual Manatapping, that's awesome and a good sign, that the developer know about the problems in their game, sadly they don't support us in a current version.
Planechase sounds interesting and much better than archenemy, because all people can have cool effects, not only the Archenemy. And it work nice if someone have a manaflood (try to put away a plane or activate a good effect) On the other side it's again very luckbased, a good roll or a good card can decide easily a game, but Archemeny was much more unfair and the cards buff also the opponent too, so its not that onse-side based.

I hope for a Black-Green deck and no Elves and Vampires as tribal. Ah, and sure the usual things: Eons of Evil 2.0, Infect and Eldrazi ramp ;)

No love for Android?

Considering the time it takes the AI to calculate outcomes with 10+ cards on the table on consoles, I fear a bit what will happen on inferior hardware. Perhaps D2013 will be run from a cloud. No matter what, I hope for some iPad succes, because that could lead to an Android version as well (the casual player market is just as big as on Apple).

Manual mana tapping was long overdue. 
No love for Android?

Probably because of this.

Considering the time it takes the AI to calculate outcomes with 10+ cards on the table on consoles, I fear a bit what will happen on inferior hardware.

Yes, they NEED to redesign the AI's CPU demand very much for tablets and I hope this translates to better performance on the other platforms.

Perhaps D2013 will be run from a cloud.

Very unlikely, since that means they need to keep powerful servers up as long as the game is being played. Their legal department couldn't handle that fiasco with godlike abilities.

I wonder what the promo cards will be this time? The Titans last year were really cool, and picking one up basically payed for the game.
Now all we need is a Community Rep that supplies us with weekly or bi-weekly development updates and we can give feedback on bugs and card errors.
Okay so the inevitable announcement has occurred, yippie.....

Now that that has happened though, it's time for Microbless and Wizards/Stainless to follow through with their promised communication.  As a start, here are some of the things I and many others want to hear about.

Release timeframe? Not asking for a date, just when you hope to release. Early summer? Late summer? When it's ready? (My personal choice tbh)

Card interactions. Do cards work together and against each other like they are supposed to? Specifically sacrifice and protection/hexproof or shroud.
That does NOT mean just take those types of cards out of the game because they are too hard to program. That is a copout. If you can't program the cards to work like they are supposed to, maybe Wizards should find a new developer.

Game rules. Does "may" mean "may" or "must"? Do we have ALL the proper steps and do they work like they should?

UI. Is it easy to use? One of the gripes I had was with targetting a specific card on a creature with multiple enchantments or equipment. How have you made that easier to do? I'm on a PC, so I don't know it that applies to targetting on a console or not. The other thing is clutter on the battlefield.
When there are tons of creatures and tokens and artifacts/enchantments, it sometimes is difficult to say, attack with everything, or sometimes just specific creatures. What are you doing to make this easier?

Multiplayer. Synching issues squashed for all time to come? This is a total dealbreaker for me. If this isn't fixed don't expect my money, plain and simple.

That is just some of the issues we would like to see addressed. I'm sure other posters have more.  Since you've said TWICE that you were going to have more open communication with us, it's time to put up or shut up.
That is just some of the issues we would like to see addressed. I'm sure other posters have more.  Since you've said TWICE that you were going to have more open communication with us, it's time to put up or shut up.

I wouldn't bet on it personally. We don't know that Microbless was even authorized to make any sort of promises of communication. Even if he was, based on how Wizards and Stainless can't even decide who is supposed to provide support for the game (they both denied responsibility for '12), the most likely scenario is he won't have any useful information to pass along.

I wouldn't bet on it personally. We don't know that Microbless was even authorized to make any sort of promises of communication. Even if he was, based on how Wizards and Stainless can't even decide who is supposed to provide support for the game (they both denied responsibility for '12), the most likely scenario is he won't have any useful information to pass along.

If that is the case, I guess we as customers need to force them to respond by taking our issues outside of just these forums, just like when the twitter campaign forced what obviously turned out to be a lie of a response just to get the tweets to stop.
I will purchase this game if it has an option for random decks. If it doesn't, it will really have to blow me away in other aspects before I decide to get it.
"Optional Manual Tapping of Lands: Although Duels of the Planeswalkers is mostly for people who are new to Magic, it's a lot of fun for people who have been playing Magic long enough to know what's what. So for Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, you can turn on an option to let you choose exactly which lands to tap!"
HELL YES!!!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.