Nicol Bolas in M13?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does this confirm a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker reprint in M13, or maybe a brand new Bolas planeswalker card? wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?...

EDIT: Seems like there are some graphics up at the booth at Pax confirming this as well. is.gd/64Ami4
It seems to, but that would mean either M13 will be the first core set with multicoloured cards (AFAIK), or that Nicol Bolas is being demoted to a single colour.
This week's wallpaper features the horns of Nicol Bolas from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013and the Magic 2013 Core Set. Enjoy.

Magic 2013 core set

or that Nicol Bolas is being demoted to a single colour.

The only real options I can see are gold in Core, or, Nicky just being an unseen boogeyman of sorts with a buch of "name" cards (and flavortext & art cameos) but no actual Nicky card.

I can see them making a one-card exception to multicolor in a Core Set, then when we ask why they give the old standby: "Because it's Nicol Bolas!"
Even if we see gold in Core, I would be extremely surprised to see a three-colour card. And a 3-colour planeswalker. Since planeswalkers in Core Sets are used as icons of their colour, and triplet colours are rather complicated for showing the ally/enemy.
It would be funny if it is just his horns as some sort of ridiculous artifact....since it just says " horns of Nicol Bolas from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013and the Magic 2013 Core Set."

Maybe they'll try to make the Core set more exciting this year and add a few gold cards and/or less-boring planeswalkers. Many folks fear innovation, but I look forward to something better and new (the key word there being better...I don't want new filler that I could do without).
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Looks like an expansion symbol to me... maybe core sets will now get expansion symbols that aren't just numbers?
It would be a travesty if Bolas went mono-coloured.
Or next duel of planeswalker is bolas center? You know, more story.
And the next block is on bolas. They had phirexia, mirran and flashback comeback, why not even the arcenemy of magic in an all-out war for story meaning? On this article they said that the "choose your side" was something that player liked so much...  maybe another magic war is at the front gate?
bolas vs gideon (or any random planeswalker, I don't know)?
I really don't know anything about Magic Mythology, but if Nicol Bolas is printed in M13, I want the other 4 Elder Dragons too... all as Planeswalkers.
But just reprinting their old version might be legit (or new ones, so they don't all suck) for EDH players. 
I really don't know anything about Magic Mythology, but if Nicol Bolas is printed in M13, I want the other 4 Elder Dragons too... all as Planeswalkers.
But just reprinting their old version might be legit (or new ones, so they don't all suck) for EDH players. 

As far as I know, they are all dead.
As far as I know, they are all dead

Core sets don't fallow the story there are there to make block transitions easier and distrupt broken decks. Totally with in how core sets work but very unlikely.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I thought Arcades Sabboth was still alive.

Anyway, I would love to see Bolas in the Core Set.
As far as I know, the other four elder dragons are fictional characters who can be "resurrected" on a whim, should Marketing think there's profit in it.
On second thought, maybe the "horns" refer to his minions, ala Sarkhan the Mad and someone else?
Well if they aren't reprinting the titans in 2013, i would expect something to replace the Mythic spots, and some gold cards in the core set would be viable. Maybe this is what they are going to do, replace the titans with 5 legendary dragons (not Bolas per say but some legendary).
On second thought, maybe the "horns" refer to his minions, ala Sarkhan the Mad and someone else?

If this were the case, the other minion/planeswalker would be Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

If this were the case, the other minion/planeswalker would be Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Aren't bot of them dead?
I don't really follow the lore too much so I don't know if they are or not. Shouldn't matter though as the Core sets aren't supposed to really enhance the story/galaxy of Magic like the blocks do. They are just there to keep utility and certain good cards around for the various formats. Also, Venser is dead and they just reprinted him in the Duel deck.
I don't really follow the lore too much so I don't know if they are or not. Shouldn't matter though as the Core sets aren't supposed to really enhance the story/galaxy of Magic like the blocks do. They are just there to keep utility and certain good cards around for the various formats. Also, Venser is dead and they just reprinted him in the Duel deck.

There isn't a story but there's still some coherency in terms of planeswalkers. That is not the case with Duel Decks. They reprinted Venser because they felt like it. Some Duel Decks are there to recreate a certain scene from the past.
Mtg salvation they have pic posted from pax east with bolas card and 5 others underneath it...deff could be dragon lords...
I don't think they'd put two different versions of Nicol Bolas in the same Core set.

I'd like to see this used as an opportunity to introduce Ral Zarek, Kiora Atua and a few more new Planeswalker characters, rather than reprinting the EDL cycle.
I'm about 99% sure they will NOT reprint the Elder Dragon Legends for two big reasons:
1. They are obscenely expensive for today's game. Look at Palladia-Mors. A 7/7 Flying,Trample for is horrible, never mind the upkeep cost.
2. Chromium. Modern design and development HATE rampage.

Aren't bot of them dead?

Not that I know of. I think Tezzeret ran off somewhere at the end of New Phyrexia, and Sarkhan returned to Bolas at the end of Rise.
I would like it if Arcades were still alive and reapppeared in PW form as an antithesis for Nicol.  About time someone did something to him.  Arcades would make sense in that he's the polar opposite of bolas, sharing only .
It'd be cool if we finally get a three-colored card in a core set!  It'd be really neat if he's a new version of Nicol Bolas.  That'd be such a special card, being the single gold card in a core set, and a new version of such a huge character.  If he's tournament playable, that'd be even huger.
Well looks like you get your wish. I think they will be just doing a straight up reprint tho...

I wonder if the five cards behind him will be new PW'S or just reprints as well?

Aren't bot of them dead?

Not that I know of. I think Tezzeret ran off somewhere at the end of New Phyrexia, and Sarkhan returned to Bolas at the end of Rise.

Uhh I'm not all that on the novel, but I recall that bot of them should have had a duel with jace, and that jace won in bot case (and sarkhan is now a dragon, he turned in one while chandra and jace was fighting him). I know only the part that is readible for free in the graphic novel here, but I don't recall them escaping away...

Well looks like you get your wish. I think they will be just doing a straight up reprint tho...

I wonder if the five cards behind him will be new PW'S or just reprints as well?

Probably new. For DoP13 to spoil them to you, and build bolas deck around it. I don't know, the nicol bolas that there is now may not be strong enough as a planeswalker to be the key card in the last deck of DoP13.

In anycase... if it's printed, it's printed 90% of the chance for Dop13, it depends what they want to do here. I still hope for something more...

I'm about 99% sure they will NOT reprint the Elder Dragon Legends for two big reasons:
1. They are obscenely expensive for today's game. Look at Palladia-Mors. A 7/7 Flying,Trample for is horrible, never mind the upkeep cost.

They could be printed as Planeswalkers rather than Creatures.
but I thought there all dead except bolas? I know that it is a core and they could make the old dead guys if they wanted, but it is unlikely due to them not doing that before.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

But they're not Planeswalkers.
Never were.
Never will be.

Never were.
Never will be.

Never should be. We don't get many Planeswalkers, and I'd far rather get cards for the characters we've already seen from archetypes I love (Ral for the Izzet League and Kiora for Merfolk) than a cycle of Nicol Bolas paletteswaps.

Never were.
Never will be.

Doesn't the story thread say differently?

Never were.
Never will be.

Doesn't the story thread say differently?

That thread is wrong.
Elder Dragons had magic power near that of pre-mending walkers, but could not Planeswalk as a matter of fact.
Alright.  Where would I find information confirming that the elders are dead?  As well, at what point did Nicol become a planeswalker?
I read it in one of the books some where bolas ate or killed all of them he didn't like haveing competion. Much like niv mizzit on ravnica didn't like other dragons to rise to power and ate/killed the most of the others.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Honestly, I'm not all that sure about the other four.
Someone like Barinellos could probably cite references to when/if they died.

But I don't think it matters much; the only one of them that has had any impact on the story in the last 15 years is Nicol Bolas.
The other four simply aren't all that important at present.
Sign In to post comments