Booming Blade and movement.

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6 + Constitution

If i hit a kobold with booming blade.
And on it's turn, it shifted away 1 squares, moved away 6 squares, and moved 6 more...

how many instances of damage would it take?

1) Cause it only started it's turn adjacent to me once.
2) 3, cause it moved away 3 times.
3) 13, for each square it moved away.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Rewrite:

"If the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and leaves one square to enter another in a direction that takes it away from you during that turn, it takes 1d6+con."

I dunno. It is ambigious. All three are justifable solely based on the wording and a lot of precedents don't come into play because they specifically reference squares, whereas this doesn't.

How i read it, a target will take the damage only once regardless of how many squares it moves away and in how many instances of movement. 

Perhaps if it said ''whenever'' instead of ''if''...?
Considering we have multiple possible RAW interpretations, we ought to follow the one that appears closest to what is RAI. On that, it seems fairly clear they only meant for it to go off once. But ye, it could probably use some clarifying.
Also worth noting that by RAW forced movement also triggers it.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
^Ye, that's actually the build idea pulled this from. During mob's turn, slide it away (trigger) then slide it back adjacent. If mob then moved again on its own, they want it to trigger a second time.
From the Thunderstruck Swordmage build thread:
Booming Blade requires the target to move away. Sliding (or other forced movement) won't trigger booming blade since it's not voluntary movement.

Booming blade simply requires that your target "moves away during its turn."  It does not require that this be voluntary or willing movement, and forced movement is definitely movement.

I would, however, welcome a rules quote in support of your position.

I don't know about forced movement exactly but here is the response I got from CustServ months ago on this power. Here is what I asked them and their response to my poorly worded question.

Customer (222222 @yahoo.com)10/08/2010 10:48 PM
We need clarification on this power on how many times during an opponents turn that they would take damage from its triggered effect. 

Another question for it is, if they shift or charge or teleport, can they take damage from it? Is it triggered as soon as they leave their adjacent square on their turn?

for instance on my turn I hit them with the power, on their turn they started adjacent to me, shifted several squares away, then again they shifted by way of some power or charged or even took a move action or whatever on their turn, how many times does that trigger my Booming Blade power's effect? is it only once or as many times that they have moved during their turn? None of this is forced movement.

Subject
booming blade

Discussion Thread
 Response (Support Agent)10/09/2010 12:26 PM
Hello 2222222,

Thank you for contacting us. The Booming Blade power says the following: " if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6 + Constitution modifier thunder damage."

This power only cares if you moved at all. It does not care about every space you move, or every different move action.

This only triggers once ever, per use of the power.

Take Care and Good Gaming!

About in line with my reading Wink
Compare this to the wording of the Wizard at-will, Storm Pillar:

Wizard Attack 1Storm Pillar

A crackling column of lightning appears amid your enemies, lashing out at any who move near it.

At-Will        Arcane, Conjuration, Evocation, Implement, Lightning Standard Action      Ranged 10

Effect: You conjure a pillar of crackling energy in an unoccupied square within range. The pillar occupies 1 square and lasts until the end of your next turn. Each enemy that moves into a square adjacent to the pillar on its turn takes 1d6 + your Intelligence modifier lightning damage. Level 21: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier lightning damage.

This would trigger everytime an enemy moves into a square adjacent to the Storm Pillar on its own turn.  So, if a monster decides to go crazy and run around the pillar, that's (at least) 7d6 + 7x(INT modifier) damage.  More if they weren't adjacent to it when they started their movement. 

*shrug* reading storm pillar as a single instance "if, then" is every bit as valid as reading booming blade that way. Most groups are going to come to the same agreement about both, either allowing them to trigger for every square or once per target.
Indeed, both powers can be read either way.  But we have a CS response that actually jibes with common sense and doesn't violate RAW.  Do you really want basic slide powers to get rediculous damage?  There's no save, since the storm pillar is player created and not hindering terrain.  And there are plenty of powers out there that give slides with no hit necessary. 

Storm Pillar is not at all the same. Storm Pillar is specifically per square. Booming Blade is per "away." Whether "away" can be triggered multiple times is highly amibigious, Storm Pillar's wording is not.

But only if applied during the monster's own turn via an interrupt or readied action

But only if applied during the monster's own turn via an interrupt or readied action

Or dominate, or foce push, or a mark by a paladin, or...

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Storm Pillar is not at all the same. Storm Pillar is specifically per square. Booming Blade is per "away." Whether "away" can be triggered multiple times is highly amibigious, Storm Pillar's wording is not.

I think you are reading extra meaning into the wording.  Let's take a look at both triggers:

Each enemy that moves into a square adjacent to the pillar on its turn takes 1d6 + your Intelligence modifier lightning damage.

vs

if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn...

Storm pillar refers to each *enemy* not each square.  Moving into a square is the trigger, but there's nothing to specify that it occurs each time.  The difference in trigger from booming blade isn't signifcant.  Booming blade's trigger is "moves away."  Move has a specific meaning, namely, leaving one square to enter another.  The away part just tells us which direction the move has to be. 

Neither effect specifies how many times it occurs.  And while both powers could arguably be read to trigger multiple times a turn (although that would be pretty silly) there's no distinction that justifies using a different reading for each power. 

Except iterative damage was established by FAQ for "a square" four years ago. So yes, other then the fact that I am right by RAW, by precedent, and by the standard English reading I am reading to much into it /eyeroll.

"Away" is ambigious, has no such precedent, and has many possible standard English readings. One is clear. One is not.
"away" is not ambiguous, it means "the distance between the two creatures increased."  Same definition as Push, inverse of Pull and Charge.
"away" is not ambiguous, it means "the distance between the two creatures increased."  Same definition as Push, inverse of Pull and Charge.

"A square" is clear. It happens each square. "Moves away" is not clear, because it is not clear that it happens each time it moves away. I mean there is a credible argument that "it moves away from starting adjacent to you" is how it works, because of the first part of the power. So you'd get the damage each time it moved away from being adjacent. The whole power is ambigious and has at least four, possibly five, readings each of which agrees with the rules to one extent or another.
Well, I would argue that you would check the trigger each time a potentially triggering event ocurred.  And since squares of movements are explicitly events, each square of movement would be valid, just as they are for all other triggers.  You're then presented with three questions:

1)  Did it start its turn adjacent to you?  Y/N
2)  If Y, did it move?  Y/N
3)  If Y, was it away?  Y/N

If the answer is yes to all three, then the condition specified in Booming Blade is met.  I'm not clear on how there are any other potential interpretations based on its text.
Well, I would argue that you would check the trigger each time a potentially triggering event ocurred.  And since squares of movements are explicitly events, each square of movement would be valid, just as they are for all other triggers.  You're then presented with three questions:

1)  Did it start its turn adjacent to you?  Y/N
2)  If Y, did it move?  Y/N
3)  If Y, was it away?  Y/N

If the answer is yes to all three, then the condition specified in Booming Blade is met.  I'm not clear on how there are any other potential interpretations based on its text.

That part is clear...

But those conditions can be met more then once.

guides
Power
my builds

Right, and there's nothing in the condition, by RAW, that indicates it is limited to only happening once. It's the same sort of thing as pre-errata Hellish Rebuke.
Right, and there's nothing in the condition, by RAW, that indicates it is limited to only happening once. It's the same sort of thing as pre-errata Hellish Rebuke.

Hmm...

Well i'm convinced.  Time to make another DPS champ.

guides
Power
my builds

I think it revolve around moving vs moving away. If moving away from its actual space, this apply only once basically. 

It boils down to: 
Are you still considered to be moving away from a space if you are not occupying it anymore ? 

I think not if you already did.  

if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn...
I think it revolve around moving vs moving away. If moving away from its actual space, this apply only once basically. 

It boils down to: 
Are you still considered to be moving away from a space if you are not occupying it anymore ? 

I think not if you already did.  

if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn...

It's only concerns is moving away from you.  Nothing about the space.

guides
Power
my builds

It's only concerns is moving away from you.  Nothing about the space.

The underligned is not written anywhere and is only one possibility among others.
Away from you, i agree can meet the requirement repeatedly.  
Another equally valid interpretation - away from where it is - cannot repeat. 

Like i said its moving away vs moving away from X
But the game element has no from X which leads me to favor the other interpretation. 
It's only concerns is moving away from you.  Nothing about the space.

The underligned is not written anywhere and is only one possibility among others.
Away from you, i agree can meet the requirement repeatedly.  
Another equally valid interpretation - away from where it is - cannot repeat. 

Like i said its moving away vs moving away from X
But the game element has no from X which leads me to favor the other interpretation. 

"you" is the only other subject in the sentence.

Anyways, i fully agree it's not RAI, and that it's dubious.

I'm still going to make a build for it though. 

guides
Power
my builds

''you'' is in perspective to adjacent to who the target need to be, not from who it is moving away from.

''you'' is in perspective to adjacent to who the target need to be, not from who it is moving away from.

So if it shifted to another square adjacent to you it would trigger?

guides
Power
my builds

Since nothing is given away from what it must move from, yes shifting to another square would constitute as ''moving away'' (from its initial position)
Since nothing is given away from what it must move from, yes shifting to another square would constitute as ''moving away'' (from its initial position)

square 2 -> square 3 is still "away" from it's intial possition (and you).

guides
Power
my builds

square 2 -> square 3 is still "away" from it's intial possition

Not if square 2 is not the initial position it leaves from

If you Shift 3 squares: only movement 1 constitute as moving away from your position.

Initial Position  
1. Shift to square 1 (move away from initial position)
2. Shift to square 2 (move away square 1)
3. Shift to square 3 (move away from square 2)

etc...
square 2 -> square 3 is still "away" from it's intial possition

Not if square 2 is not the initial position it leaves from

If you Shift 3 squares: only movement 1 constitute as moving away from your position.

Initial Position  
1. Shift to square 1 (move away from initial position)
2. Shift to square 2 (move away square 1, and the initial position)
3. Shift to square 3 (move away from square 2 , and the initial position, and square 1)

etc...

You can move away from more then 1 thing.  If i move away from you, i also move away from your shoes, and the chair your sitting on.  If i'm 10 feat from you and i go to 15 feat, i moved away.

guides
Power
my builds

Moving is to leave a square to enter another. 

So you didn't move away from your initial square (when Booming Blade was used) with your fix. Only #01 does.

Subsequent squares moved within the same movement, or subsequent instances of movement are not moving away from where you were (the initial space) but some other space you occupied after.

Moving away from where you are grid-wise can happen only once (unless you somehow return to this space and leave it again)

EDIT Not telling away from what it is moving from really leaves it subject to interpretation - ie. if the target was to shift into your square, one interpretationwould not constitute as moving away  (from you)  while another would consisute as moving away (from its space).

"away" means "the distance between the square of reference and the square you're moving to increased"

Blue = swordmage
Red = initial square
Each subsequent color = one more square moving "away"

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

What square you're leaving is irrelevant.  You're still moving away from both X and X
There is no square of reference represented by X given in Booming Blade (ie. move away from X)

Only a square of reference it need to be when it start its next turn.

EDIT In my understanding of general english, ''moving away'' in reference to a space means leaving it.
"adjacent to you and moves away"

"you" is the only thing that is referenced in the power at all.  Are you saying that it's nonfunctional?  I'm confused.
No its more:

''if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn''

''to you'' refers to the space it needs to be at the start of its next turn, not from what it is moving away from.

So two equally valid interpretation exist how i see it:

1. moving away (from you)

2. moving away (from its space)

(I am not saying its nonfunctional, i am explaining why i think it can only happen once with 1 possible interpretation among several)
EDIT In my understanding of general english, ''moving away'' in reference to a space means leaving it.

Nope.

"move away" = to increase the distance

0->1, is moving away
1->2, is moving away
2->3, is moving away

Also, there's no mention of "it's space".  It's implied, but even if that is the definition, it only changes things a little bit.

guides
Power
my builds

Dictionary.com has the following for away:  (I equate it to go away)

May be my understanding is wrong, is there any other person that reads it the way i do ?

[sblock] 

away
adverb

1.. from this or that place; off: to go away.

2. aside; to another place; in another direction: to turn you reyes away; to turn away customers

3. far; apart: away back; away from the subject.
But the second step, and the third, etc, is still away.
I have to agree with plague on the definition of 'away'. Although, maybe not his position regarding the unspecified subject.

Away has two potential meanings here. The abusable version means: to increase distance from. The nonabusable and closer to RAI means: to leave a location.

Based on the obvious RAI, sanity, and balance, definition two seems the one we should advocate. Yes, there is an interpretation that works with the first. But no sane table would let it happen, save for lawls. So why bother?

I would refine plague's reading to the following: the subject is being adjacent to you (since it is the defined trigger). If the enemy, during its turn, leaves this space, then it takes damage. Potentially, this could trigger more than once iff the creature somehow reentered and left the space again during its turn.
Sign In to post comments