Boardwipe and death triggers

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I wipe the board with something like Slagstorm, will the on-death trigger on the Diregraf Captain trigger? Here's how the board looked for my opponent:
* Diregraf Captain
* Diregraf Captain
* Gravecrawler
* Gravecrawler

Presumably all creatures die at once, so there's no having to decide who dies first? How do we resolve this? I browse through the Complete Rules for something in the following sections but didn't find any evidence on how to figure it out myself:

• 5.510 Combat Damage Step

• 6.603 Handling Triggered Abilities

• 6.608 Resolving Spells and Abilities

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!
All the creatures die at the same time. Both captains will see 3 other zombies dying, and thus, will trigger 3 times each, resulting in the target opponent/s losing 6 life in total.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
All the creatures die at the same time. Both captains will see 3 other zombies dying, and thus, will trigger 3 times each, resulting in the target opponent/s losing 6 life in total.

That is how I intuited it, but when the explanation hit the table, I didn't have a response to how "if everything dies at the same time", how would the that get triggered?
Presumably all creatures die at once, so there's no having to decide who dies first? How do we resolve this? I browse through the Complete Rules for something in the following sections but didn't find any evidence on how to figure it out myself:

Here are the relevant rules:

603.6c Leaves-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent moves from the battlefield to another zone...

603.6d (...) Leaves-the-battlefield abilities (...) will trigger based on (...) the appearance of objects prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to “look back in time” to determine if these abilities trigger.

When all those creatures die, the Captains look back in time and see the three other creatures leaving the Battlefield.  

603.6d (...) Leaves-the-battlefield abilities (...) will trigger based on (...) the appearance of objects prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to “look back in time” to determine if these abilities trigger.

When all those creatures die, the Captains look back in time and see the three other creatures leaving the Battlefield.  

Aha, that's exactly what I was looking for to explain how the now-dead-captains can still have their abilities triggered.

I ran into a similar situation with [C]Elvish Eulogist[/c]. A board wipe happened where five elves + the EE were destroyed. My friend tried to sac the EE and gain 5 life, but I said that if the spell resolves everything hits the graveyard at the same time and he couldn't gain any life. Was I correct?
You can't activate abilities or cast spells while something is ressolving. He'd have to sacrifice the Eulogist before the sweeper ressolved.

Though you are correct, everything hits the graveyard at the same time. It just isn't relevant in this situation.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Thanks
Be aware, that in the original example if you replace the Gravecrawlers with Geralf's Messengers you whould get different results.

The Diregraf Captians would die from the 3 damage, and they would each trigger once, then moments latter the Messenger's will die for now having lethal damage, but since the Captians are already gone, they will not trigger.

They only triggered in the original example because the gravecrawlers have only 1 toughness.
MTG Rules Advisor
If I attack with Rakish Heir and Erdwal Ripper and my opponent blocks the Rakish Heir and it dies, does the Erdwal Ripper still get a +1/+1 counter from the Rakish Heir's ability? i.e., does Rakish Heir's ability still give +1/+1 counters to other creatures that deal combat damage even if Rakish Heir dies?

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

Yes.  (unless the Rakish Heir died during first strike combat)  All damage is dealt at the same time, so the Rakish Heir will trigger when the ripper deals damage.
MTG Rules Advisor
If I attack with Rakish Heir and Erdwal Ripper and my opponent blocks the Rakish Heir and it dies, does the Erdwal Ripper still get a +1/+1 counter from the Rakish Heir's ability? i.e., does Rakish Heir's ability still give +1/+1 counters to other creatures that deal combat damage even if Rakish Heir dies?

Only if those other creatures are Vampires.
112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability. Note that some abilities cause a source to do something (for example, "Prodigal Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player") rather than the ability doing anything directly. In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in the zone it's expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
I'm sorry, assuming they were Vampires.

Thank you!

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2