Who remembers Tom Hanks in the D&D movie

You mean 'Mazes and Monsters'?  Run of the mill mainstream fear-mongering about the 'perils of D&D' from the early 80's.  

I was, like, 7 when it came out, and even then I knew that you'd have to be pretty close to the edge of sanity in order for a game to push you into la-la-land like what happened to Hanks' character in the movie.

P.S.  Not really sure what a 30 year old made-for-TV movie has to do with D&D Next... 

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

This ^
You mean mazes and monsters? The anti D&D movie. 

As I remember it was rather pathetic.
I remember same. Anti D&D although the DMing module part was cool. As for live play I never got into that abd thought it funny at conventions. Not the costumes which are cool. Just the live theatrics.
Are you talking about The Da Vinci Code?
Yeah Mazes and Monsters was a horrible movie, that pretty much showed the horrors of a mentally unstable addict who knowingly engages his vice, leading him spiraling down into insanity. To make matters worse they tried to blame it all on DnD, treating it as a typical case, and they weren't even playing DnD, they were LARPing really hardcore.
Saw it on Cinemax in the late 80's. Hated it.
Saw it on Cinemax in the late 80's. Hated it.

I remember late night Cinemax.

Haven't seen that one.  The one with a bunch of no-name leads, Jemery Irons as the most over the top villian ever, and Tom Baker in a bit part as an elven *ahem* doctor was pretty bad -- though at least it was the sort of bad you can laugh at.  The 'sequel' (if you can call it that) was so-okay-its-average fare.

Stick with the 80's cartoon.... It's really the best D&D has done on screen.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Yeah the cartoon was great. Never liked uni. But it fad great module stories and Venger was cool. They also had other villains like war duke Kalik in it.
I think they made stats for Venger once but he wast that powerful as he seemed in the cartoon.
I also consider thundarr the barbarian as good d&d but I'm sure it fits into Gamma World role play. future earth devestated now with monsters science and sorcery.
Also visionaries Cartoon. Same theme. Science age falls apart and a Mage pops up granting powers to both good and evil warriors.
Was Tom dressed like a woman in it?

I wonder how many people seen it and what you think

I own it. It's so awesome!
我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚
I didn't think the movie itself was that bad. It was interesting and a good study of mental illness I think. However I think the way it presented Hanks' unstable character as normal until D&D was hideous.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

Serious question as anyone here seen The Money Pit? I feel like I'm the only person who's seen The Money Pit.
Wanna watch the pinnacle of the media movement to demonize children's entertainment?

Go ahead and YouTube :

"Deception of a Generation"

This is what was shown in churches all over America in the mid/late 80's.

Seriously. Everything from smurfs to GI Joe, transformers, My little Pony, not to mention D&D are gateways to hell.

Give it a watch and get Back to me.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
Rock n roll music, Dungeons & Dragons, (edited: Illegal). Welp, I'm goin to Hell, cya.
Haven't seen that one.  The one with a bunch of no-name leads, Jemery Irons as the most over the top villian ever, and Tom Baker in a bit part as an elven *ahem* doctor was pretty bad -- though at least it was the sort of bad you can laugh at.  The 'sequel' (if you can call it that) was so-okay-its-average fare.

Stick with the 80's cartoon.... It's really the best D&D has done on screen.

I would say the best D&D has done on screen is "The gamers: Dorkness rising" it's a satirical look at people who play RPGs in general, though they are clearly shown playing 3.5e most of the movie. It succeeds in being both entertaining AND accurate to the game.
I saw the trailer
I've removed content from this thread because Discussion of Illegal activities is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from discussin illegal activities such as drugs.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the "Report Post" button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Thanks!
Sign In to post comments