Sorden Warchester the 2nd - (40 AC at 6th level) Lair Champion

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
                                        Sorden Warchester the 2nd - 6th level Warden|Sorcerer with an AC of 40

This is a 6th level adaptation of an old character I made for a dungeon delve a few years back, specifically for Lair Assault. Basically, he's an uber-defender than provides a -10 or so for enemies to hit his allies, and -11 for enemies to hit him with Resist 3 all, while combined with prety good defenses (AC 29 at 6th level, giving him an effective AC of 40) for the entire encounter. He's got a fair chunk of hit points, and pretty good NADs as well, what with all those attack debuffs.

If you think that your AC is high enough, you can swap out Mark of Warding for Sudden Roots, to become a little stickier. If you don't want the Resist 3 All for the encounter, you can take Guardian of Winter Might instead, to create a zone of difficult terrain around you for the whole encounter.

Offensively, you've got a variety of burst attacks, both encounter and at-will. As a hybrid sorcerer, you can spam blazing starfall for 1d4+10 all day long. It's not tremendous, but not terrible for a defender. If you want to melee instead to mark another target (hybrid wardens only mark single targets), using a staff of knives (to make it a one-handed dagger) and staff expertise for reach 2 is a nice combo. If your DM doesn't think that staff of knives benefits from staff expertise when in dagger form (the CB says it does), then you can just take a dagger instead. I like a pinning dagger, to immobilize one BBEG next to you.

You have Lifespirit as a party favor (entire party spends a surge and gets a save when you second wind, which you can do as a minor action), and your other party favors involve a zone of party-friendly cover (-2 to enemy attacks), a smaller zone of non-friendly heavy obscurement (-5 to enemy attacks), and marking one or two foes a round with a -3 penalty for ignoring the mark (via Mark of Warding). On yourself, you also benefit from Deva Aura (-2 to enemies to hit) and Mark of Warding boosting your glacial armor and guardian form defenses by 1 each.

Themewise, I like Yakuza for the mass to-hit debuff it gives (-2 to hit for all enemies for the rest of the encounter if you bloody a target, which is easy with flame spiral), as well as the +cha to hit and damage on opp attacks, which adds a fair bit of stickiness to the character. Also, he has a shot at auto-surrendering one enemy out of the combat.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sorden Worchester 2, level 6
Dwarf, Warden|Sorcerer
Hybrid Warden: Hybrid Warden Will
Sorcerous Power: Sorcerous Power Strength
Hybrid Talent: Warden's Armored Might
Guardian Might: Lifespirit
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Unarmed)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 17.

AC: 24 Fort: 18 Reflex: 16 Will: 20
HP: 62 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +12, Arcana +7, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +3, Heal +4, History +2, Insight +4, Nature +4, Religion +2, Stealth, Streetwise +7, Thievery, Athletics +4

FEATS
Level 1: Deva Heritage
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Versatile Expertise or Staff Expertise
Level 6: Mark of Warding

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Warden's Lunge
Hybrid at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Hybrid encounter 1: Roots of Stone
Hybrid daily 1: Form of Mountain's Thunder
Hybrid utility 2: Nature's Abundance
Hybrid encounter 3: Flame Spiral
Hybrid daily 5: Glacial Armor
Hybrid utility 6: Deep Shroud

ITEMS
Staff of Knives +2, Summoned Hide Armor +2, Brooch of Shielding +1, Phylactery of Action (heroic tier), Heavy Shield, Pinning Dagger +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

You know the phylactery of action isn't really a legal item, right? It was in one adventure, temporarily added online, then removed as OP. It definitely won't fly in LFR, and I don't know many DMs who would let it fly in a home game...
Everything is allowed in Lair Assault.

Very interesting ... very.

5E mini- SRD available now in HTML here:  http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Phylactery of Action is not in the compendium or the character builder; ergo, it is not legal for use in Lair Assault.
Phylactery of Action is not in the compendium or the character builder; ergo, it is not legal for use in Lair Assault.

Umm... That's noooot a Lair Assault rule.
"Any legal character build of the appropriate level, using options from official Wizards products, is permissible in D&D Lair Assault."

"Any legal character build of the appropriate level, using options from official Wizards products, is permissible in D&D Lair Assault."

Phylactery of Action, False Blood Amulet, etc., are not from official Wizard products. They were special RPGA items. They got into the Compendium due to what was essentially a copy/paste error.

So you're both right, kind of. Phylactery is indeed not allowed and Lair Assault you can use anything from an official product.
Phylactery of Action has been removed from the game in every way; ergo, any character using it is no longer legal.

The longer version is in the Lair Assault booklet for the DM, which states (paraphrasing as I don't have it on me) that anything the DM has questions about must be able to be found in the character builder, compendium, or current Dragon/Dungeon article (IE, the player must be able to produce an up to date version of it).  If the player cannot do so, or the DM cannot find it in the Compendium or Character Buildier, he can disallow it.  Seeing as I cannot find it in any way

The Lair Assault booklet actually does give guidance as to what the DM can allow; for situations like this one.  (A similar rule was used in the last Lair Assault for the rituals, the players had to be able to produce the detailed ritual description on demand, otherwise the DM could say "no" and move on)

Also, relevant link on the phylactery: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Short of it, for this specific case, the Village of Hommlet is not an official Wizards product; it is a thank you for RPGA members, and not a LFR legal adventure and ergo, item. 

Phylactery of Action, False Blood Amulet, etc., are not from official Wizard products. They were special RPGA items. They got into the Compendium due to what was essentially a copy/paste error.

So you're both right, kind of. Phylactery is indeed not allowed and Lair Assault you can use anything from an official product.

Wait, what makes The Village of Hommlet not an official Wizards product? It has the D&D4e seal, it has D&D4e and Wizards copyright information, and nothing but a Compendium pruning has even implied that it's not legal.

Phylactery of Action has been removed from the game in every way; ergo, any character using it is no longer legal.

The longer version is in the Lair Assault booklet for the DM, which states (paraphrasing as I don't have it on me) that anything the DM has questions about must be able to be found in the character builder, compendium, or current Dragon/Dungeon article (IE, the player must be able to produce an up to date version of it).  If the player cannot do so, or the DM cannot find it in the Compendium or Character Buildier, he can disallow it.  Seeing as I cannot find it in any way

The Lair Assault booklet actually does give guidance as to what the DM can allow; for situations like this one.  (A similar rule was used in the last Lair Assault for the rituals, the players had to be able to produce the detailed ritual description on demand, otherwise the DM could say "no" and move on)

Also, relevant link on the phylactery: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Short of it, for this specific case, the Village of Hommlet is not an official Wizards product; it is a thank you for RPGA members, and not a LFR legal adventure and ergo, item. 

It's 100% not LFR legal. In related news, that's 100% irrelevant to this discussion.

The player would, of course, need to prove to his DM that this item is from a player legal resource. But that can be accomplished by simply bringing in the adventure or partial printouts of its pdf. If Lair Assault specifically only allows you to prove an item's existence through DDI resources, then it's instituting rules that govern character creation that the player doesn't have access to while making a character.
Don't get me wrong, this is good... but it's also a *little* misleading.

Heavily obscured is only -5 if creatures are non-adjacent, -2 otherwise. No penalty against burst/blast.

The cover zone is stationary. No penalty against burst/blast.

The obscured aura is sustain minor, which sucks if you get dazed (by a non-ac burst attack). 

Yakuza penalty will end if you get hit (even if by a non-ac burst attack)

As a side note, you can acheive similarly high AC (though not as many penalties) with a warden|cleric/swordmage. 

Base: 10
Level: 3
Armor: 10 (+2 drakescale)
Shield: 4 (Shield of the gods + mark of warding)
Power:  3 (Shield of faith + mark of warding)
Misc: 2 (Form of Winter's Herald + mark of warding)
Misc: 3 (Swordmage warding)

Total 35

Righteous brand with power of madness, deva heritage, and solkara's grasp from the primordial adept theme can all add some attack penalties. 
Because promotional RPGA items are specifically NOT official wizards products.  It's like the promos you occasionally get for judging Magic tournaments; just because we get them from Wizards does not mean they can be used in official play. 

A simple point could be made from the Tomb of Horrors; there are two of them right now for 4E.  The official published one (in hardcover), and the unofficial one sent to DMs as a DM Reward.  If they were both official products of Wizards...that means they would have two different versions of the same product.  The DM Rewards Tomb of Horrors Booklet is not a "Player Legal" Resource.  Just because Village of Hom was printed in the CB for a short period of time and then specifically removed does not mean it is legal. A DM would have the precedence of all other such adventures not being legal for use, and could easily use that to say "no."  

As for the CB/Compendium validation issue; remember, Compendium is usable by everyone to find the source of an item / ritual, not just DDI.  This is written in there specifically for situations like this; where someone brings in an item or feat or mechanic that is not intended to be used ever, and gives the DM the latitude to say "um, no." 

You guys can argue about it all you want; but being a Lair Assault DM, it would easily fall under the "sanity check" guidelines the Lair Assault booklet provides, and would be banned at our tables.  I'll try to find the exact wording when I get back home.   
Don't get me wrong, this is good... but it's also a *little* misleading.

Heavily obscured is only -5 if creatures are non-adjacent, -2 otherwise. No penalty against burst/blast.

The obscured aura is sustain minor, which sucks if you get dazed (by a non-ac burst attack). 

As a side note, you can acheive similarly high AC (though not as many penalties) with a warden|cleric/swordmage. 

Base: 10
Level: 3
Armor: 10 (+2 drakescale)
Shield: 4 (Shield of the gods + mark of warding)
Power:  3 (Shield of faith + mark of warding)
Misc: 2 (Form of Winter's Herald + mark of warding)
Misc: 3 (Swordmage warding)

Total 35

Righteous brand with power of madness, deva heritage, and solkara's grasp from the primordial adept theme can all add some attack penalties. 

I'd also like to point out that in order to get your allies into the heavily obscured zone you also have to clump into a close burst 1 of you so bursts and blasts would be the most effective thing even if it wasn't completely negating your -attack modifiers.
The build is also horribly action inefficient at pulling off all of that, Standard for the Cover, Minor for the Concealment, Minor for the Form, you'll want to Move to get in the monsters face to put up the immobile Cover and to mark them. You probably want to be attacking, as well, which brings me to my next nit pick.

Deep Shroud negatively affects you, yeah, you can spam your bursts without penalty, but your mark punishments, warden's lunge, and your allies certainly aren't going to want to be in there either. It's also amusing to me that you're intentionally letting any creature that moves to a square not adjacent to you, make a stealth check to hide from you. Deep Shroud is probably one of the worst 'powers that people think are good' ever created.

@ohgoditburns: Actually, cover does protect against bursts and blasts, you draw your line from the origin square, which is not always the caster, so it's a good way to get around cover like trees and walls. However the wording of Nature's Abundance is such that you and your allies will always count as at least having cover while within the zone, regardless of where the burst is centered. It is a very powerful ability
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Relevant blurb from the DM's packet for Lair Assault

"Players should create characters of 6th level, using any official 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons sources (print products available in stores or anything currently available in the D&D Character Builder).  Players can also use D&D Fortune Cards during the challenge."

Correct.

Wrong. It actually does provide cover against bursts and blasts. It's also a pretty large zone.

Assuming you wouldn't spend your action to sustain it.

Good luck with that, at -6. But yeah, it's certainly possible.

Deva aura can end, too, if you get bloodied somehow.

To how many enemies/allies?

The build is also horribly action inefficient at pulling off all of that, Standard for the Cover, Minor for the Concealment, Minor for the Form, you'll want to Move to get in the monsters face to put up the immobile Cover and to mark them. You probably want to be attacking, as well, which brings me to my next nit pick.

It's not inefficient. You're operating from the perspective that you have better things to do as a defender than provide cover for your allies for all the waves of a combat. I don't think that's true.

Deep Shroud negatively affects you, yeah, you can spam your bursts without penalty, but your mark punishments, warden's lunge, and your allies certainly aren't going to want to be in there either.

Warden's Lunge marks with an effect, not on a hit. Allies can sit in the outer squares of it to gain heavy obscurement without suffering a penalty.

It's also amusing to me that you're intentionally letting any creature that moves to a square not adjacent to you, make a stealth check to hide from you. Deep Shroud is probably one of the worst 'powers that people think are good' ever created.

Great. I'd love it if monsters wasted their actions moving around, hiding from me, when my striker buddies can see them perfectly fine.
So the character is a not very mobile, not very damaging, burst 5 cover, with a mark effect, that no more than two allies can effectively stand next to.

If this is actually viable in Lair Assault, then the design intent behind Lair Assault has failed.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
On the legality of items: I understand that a DM can question items a PC might have on his character sheet, but how many DMs are actually going to *audit* each PC that comes to the game?  And, how many DMs realize that this particular item is not in a printed book?  On the same note, how many players are going to be bringing they D&D library with them to play?  I don't always carry a laptop with me, should I do so when I go to play Lair Assaults?  Should a DM have to have access to the internet while running Lair Assaults to ensure player legality?
Should a DM have to have access to the internet while running Lair Assaults to ensure player legality?

Frankly, yes. And you should also have a copy of the Rules Compendium on hand for rules questions (the store hosting SHOULD provide one, WotC even sends a free one if you sign up for encounters)
So the character is a not very mobile, not very damaging, burst 5 cover, with a mark effect, that no more than two allies can effectively stand next to.

If this is actually viable in Lair Assault, then the design intent behind Lair Assault has failed.

He provides cover to his party, which is equivalent to the mark penalty, except it works against bursts and blasts. He provides an additional -3 penalty to the 1 or 2 monsters he has marked, and an additional -5 penalty for the allies standing next to him. Enemies that try to obey the mark will waste their actions. Enemies that ignore the mark will probably miss, and might take a punishment attack as well.

He's a defender. This is defense.

His damage output is acceptable for a defender, 1d4+10 in a burst 1 at-will.
Relevant blurb from the DM's packet for Lair Assault

"Players should create characters of 6th level, using any official 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons sources (print products available in stores or anything currently available in the D&D Character Builder).  Players can also use D&D Fortune Cards during the challenge."

If it's that big a deal, there's plenty of other good items to take.

I was debating the Tusk Shield, which will stack another 2 points of defenses onto the build (AC 42!) at the cost of charging each round. It synergizes well with his warden marking at-will, that can be used on a charge.
After actually playing this Lair Assault, this build is totally viable for that purpose. This LA is not a mobile fight in the slightest, so if Sorden plops down and doesn't move the whole fight, he's doing ok.
After actually playing this Lair Assault, this build is totally viable for that purpose. This LA is not a mobile fight in the slightest, so if Sorden plops down and doesn't move the whole fight, he's doing ok.

Without giving spoilers, yep. That's why he is the way he is.
Sign In to post comments