Oracle text inserts

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know that the final arbiter is the head judge of the event in question, but...

Am I allowed to print out a hi-res copy of the Oracle text of a card (and type line if different) and insert it into the sleeve with the legal authorized (but older printing) card and play?

Would I be breaking any rules?

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I'm pretty certain that is not legal, but I'm not as familiar with the Tournament Rules as I am with the Comprehensive rules.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
Your card would be assuredly marked, for one thing, because you would change the thickness of the sleeve contents. I don't expect a judge to accept this.

Really, nowadays, anyone around with a web-browsing phone or pad (and there is always someone who has one everywhere) is all you need to have Oracle at hand. I consider such a tool to be an essential part of a Magic judge's kit, too.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
There is also the risk that you would get the text wrong (either on purpose or accidentally).

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Really, nowadays, anyone around with a web-browsing phone or pad (and there is always someone who has one everywhere) is all you need to have Oracle at hand. I consider such a tool to be an essential part of a Magic judge's kit, too.

I wonder if this couldn't be considered outside assistance...

I wonder if this couldn't be considered outside assistance...

The latest version of the tournament  rules allows players to refer to the oracle text using an electronic device, provided they use sources like gatherer.wizards.com that provide no other strategic information.  The head judge is allowed to impose further restrictions if they see fit.
One is allowed to use artistically modified cards in tournaments, as long as the name and mana cost are unaltered and the card can't be distinguished while in your deck, right?

So as long as you wrote the oracle text on the card, instead of adding thickness to the card, couldn't you call it an artistic modification? 
57193048 wrote:
srs rls mgr is srs
57125208 wrote:
"If you're having defense problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 soldiers but they're just 1/1."
From the magic tournament rules:

Artistic modifications are acceptable in sanctioned tournaments, provided that the modifications do not make the card art unrecognizable, contain substantial strategic advice, or contain offensive images. Artistic modifications also may not obstruct or change the mana cost or name of the card.

The Head Judge is the final authority on acceptable cards for a tournament

All Generalizations are Bad
The latest version of the tournament  rules allows players to refer to the oracle text using an electronic device, provided they use sources like gatherer.wizards.com that provide no other strategic information.  The head judge is allowed to impose further restrictions if they see fit.

Nowhere in the latest version of the tournament rules could I find mention that players were allowed to look up oracle text.  Am I missing something or just not looking in the right area?  If this rule does exist could someone point me to where it's ruled at?

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Nowhere in the latest version of the tournament rules could I find mention that players were allowed to look up oracle text.  Am I missing something or just not looking in the right area?  If this rule does exist could someone point me to where it's ruled at?

From section 2.11 Notes:

Players may refer to Oracle text, either electronically or in paper form, at any time. They must do so publicly and in a format (such as gatherer.wizards.com, other official Wizards of the Coast sources, or printouts of their sources) which contains no other strategic information. If a player wishes to view Oracle text in private, he or she must ask a judge. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.